Man killed by a single punch

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Man killed by a single punch

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This instance makes me think twice about the idea of whether a single unarmed attacker poses a deadly threat. And also whether it is OK to defend yourself before a punch is thrown.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man ... ocid=ientp

bblhd672

Re: Man killed by a single punch

Post by bblhd672 »

The story seem to indicate if the deceased hadn't fallen and hit his head he would have survived the punch.

Arguments get out of hand quickly and de-escalation is better than arguing with idiots.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:26 pm The story seem to indicate if the deceased hadn't fallen and hit his head he would have survived the punch.

Arguments get out of hand quickly and de-escalation is better than arguing with idiots.
I agree 100%. Most of the bad situations I see could have been avoided by doing one of the following:
- Don't try to be a cop (in this case, let the guy know that he's supposed to have his dog on a leash, but don't escalate if he disagrees).
- Don't butt your nose in where it doesn't belong (trying to stop a shoplifter at a store you don't even work at, etc).
- Learn to use the phrase "sorry bout that". It is magic and will get you out of many bad situations.

But, my point in posting the link was simply to show that a single unarmed assailant really can present a deadly threat, and you don't necessarily have the luxury of taking a few punches before responding to stop that threat.

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Ban assault fists!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Apparently a lot of people ignore leash laws.
I was talking to a friend the other day about a similar situation when he had when walking his two small dogs in Houston.
Fortunately no punches were thrown.
I just emailed him the link to this story.
NRA Endowment Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:42 pm I was talking to a friend the other day about a similar situation when he was walking his two small dogs in Houston.
Fortunately no punches were thrown. I just emailed him the link to this story.
Prayers for the family and friends of the victim. The guy probably said his pit bull was a gentle dog and wouldn't hurt a flea! He himself was just waiting to explode. Keep idiots at a safe distance! I hope you friend takes heed of the circumstances and outcome.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:39 pm This instance makes me think twice about the idea of whether a single unarmed attacker poses a deadly threat. And also whether it is OK to defend yourself before a punch is thrown.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man ... ocid=ientp
"Unarmed" does not mean "harmless". As has been said, de-escalation and avoidance can preclude such incidents.

David Yamane (Gun Culture 2.0) shared some thoughts last August about "unarmed".
https://gunculture2point0.wordpress.com ... med-again/

KR Training instructor John Daub had this to say.
https://blog.hsoi.com/2018/01/06/once-a ... -harmless/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:26 pm
bblhd672 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:26 pm The story seem to indicate if the deceased hadn't fallen and hit his head he would have survived the punch.

I agree 100%. Most of the bad situations I see could have been avoided by doing one of the following:
- Don't try to be a cop (in this case, let the guy know that he's supposed to have his dog on a leash, but don't escalate if he disagrees).
- Don't butt your nose in where it doesn't belong (trying to stop a shoplifter at a store you don't even work at, etc).
- Learn to use the phrase "sorry bout that". It is magic and will get you out of many bad situations.

But, my point in posting the link was simply to show that a single unarmed assailant really can present a deadly threat, and you don't necessarily have the luxury of taking a few punches before responding to stop that threat.
:iagree:

Brings to mind this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=93162
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “The Crime Blotter”