CHL Denial Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jeddle42
Posts in topic: 2

CHL Denial Question

Post by jeddle42 »

I was denied my CHL in Texas for an Class A misdemeanor arrested for an illigal id / drivers license. Im not familiar with the laws since im new comer. The way i read the law it seemed to mean class a and b violent or dui would cause a chl denial. My question is this is it any class a disqualifies you for a Texas CHL? I have since applied for a Florida C H L hopefully i will get my chl there. Any information will really be appreciated.

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL Denial Question

Post by GeekwithaGun »

How long ago did it occur?
NRA Life Member

Topic author
jeddle42

Post by jeddle42 »

Nov. 2017

sottish cheese

Post by sottish cheese »

You have to wait five years after final disposition if you're convicted on A/B misdemeanor.

infoman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by infoman »

& yes- it’s any class A or B misdemeanor.

Dantastic

Post by Dantastic »

If you received probation, is 5 years from the end of the probation-not conviction date.

infoman

Post by infoman »

It’s 5 years from your disposition date, in other words the conviction date. (date of judgement). In cases where you get deferred adjudication- it’s the date you are give. Def Adj. NOT 5 years from when you ended your probation.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

infoman wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:03 am It’s 5 years from your disposition date, in other words the conviction date. (date of judgement). In cases where you get deferred adjudication- it’s the date you are give. Def Adj. NOT 5 years from when you ended your probation.
IANAL, but don’t think this is correct. I thought that “disposition” in this sense usually referred to the completion date of whatever the penalty is. The conviction or sentencing dates are usually not included in the disposition date.

For example, what if the penalty were greater than 5 years? It wouldn’t be logical to be able to acquire a LTC while still in the penalty phase or under probation, would it?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

infoman

Post by infoman »

I know I’m 100% correct on this. It’s 5 years from your judgement date. It’s not 5 years from when you completed your probation period.

Dantastic

Post by Dantastic »

I was denied the 1st time I applied because of the 1 year probation.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Dantastic wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:02 am I was denied the 1st time I applied because of the 1 year probation.
Infoman is correct. it is from the Judgement final disposition date, not the end of your probation period.

It is possible that the 1 year probation was a period where if you stayed clean for that period, then they completely expunged your record. In that case if you applied while inside the 1 year period they would show a pending charge, but once you were clean for that year then there would be noting on your record to cause you the denial. I have seen this scenario happen before.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Dantastic

Post by Dantastic »

Strange.... I was 'convicted' of my stupid misdemeanor 4/4/2011 was on probation until 4/4/2012, applied 12/2016 and they said I was denied because of the charge I received on 4/4/2012.
Maybe I should've appealed??????
It's ok-All is good now.
Not trying to debate it here. Just my experience.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Keith B wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 amInfoman is correct. it is from the Judgement final disposition date, not the end of your probation period.

It is possible that the 1 year probation was a period where if you stayed clean for that period, then they completely expunged your record. In that case if you applied while inside the 1 year period they would show a pending charge, but once you were clean for that year then there would be noting on your record to cause you the denial. I have seen this scenario happen before.
Keith, are you sure? I'm genuinely curious.

I have a friend who used to have a CHL. He plead guilty to a Class B (5 year disqualification) in order to receive deferred adjudication. This included 2 years probation. The disposition date is July, 2014. So he can apply again after July 2019 (5 years from disposition), or does he need to wait until July 2021 (5 years from probation ending)? Does the nature of the charge matter (it's not a permanent disqualified)? If so, I can ask and find out.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RottenApple wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:12 pm
Keith B wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 amInfoman is correct. it is from the Judgement final disposition date, not the end of your probation period.

Keith, are you sure? I'm genuinely curious.

I have a friend who used to have a CHL. He plead guilty to a Class B (5 year disqualification) in order to receive deferred adjudication. This included 2 years probation. The disposition date is July, 2014. So he can apply again after July 2019 (5 years from disposition), or does he need to wait until July 2021 (5 years from probation ending)? Does the nature of the charge matter (it's not a permanent disqualified)? If so, I can ask and find out.
Yes, I am sure. A deferred adjudication in itself still shows up as such. What I was saying is there are cases where during the 'probation period' the charge shows on the search. If the probation period is completed successfully, then they go back and expunge the record totally so there is no record of any charges. So after the 1 year the guy would be clear to get a LTC if the record gets expunged or set-aside.

In the case of your friend he would be eligible July 2019, 5 years from his disposition date.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

C-dub wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:38 am
infoman wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:03 am It’s 5 years from your disposition date, in other words the conviction date. (date of judgement). In cases where you get deferred adjudication- it’s the date you are give. Def Adj. NOT 5 years from when you ended your probation.
IANAL, but don’t think this is correct. I thought that “disposition” in this sense usually referred to the completion date of whatever the penalty is. The conviction or sentencing dates are usually not included in the disposition date.

For example, what if the penalty were greater than 5 years? It wouldn’t be logical to be able to acquire a LTC while still in the penalty phase or under probation, would it?
If the penalty was greater than 5 years it would be due to a felony. A class A misdemeanor in Texas is punishable by up to a year in jail and or up to $4,000.00 fine. A misdemeanor can be probated by up to 2 years.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”