Speaker Bonnen's betrayal of Texas gun-owners

This sub-forum will open on Sept. 1, 2018

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Speaker Bonnen's betrayal of Texas gun-owners

Post by KC5AV »

Lt. Gov. Patrick demonstrated recently that Committee Chairs can be removed/replaced (in the Senate). Is this not an option in the House?
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mojo84 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:57 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:25 pm
mojo84 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:21 pm
mojo84 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:00 pm Not the least bit surprised. What is his NRA 2nd Amendment rating?

http://votesmart.org/candidate/evaluati ... EjX9GlMGyU
Then you're the only person in Texas who isn't surprised. Bonnen has an A rating and, until now, it is well-deserved. He always voted with gun owners. Today is a new day.

Chas.
No, I'm not the only one in Texas. There are many that knew he would be Strauss 2.0.

He is not a conservative and is no different than the other RINO's. http://index.empowertexans.com/legislat ... 2017-index

This here indicates he has no interest in advancing guns rights. http://votesmart.org/candidate/politica ... EkqMWlMGyU

He is ok with the status quo.

I wil agree that I may be one of the few Texans that doesn't believe the NRA ratings are the holy grail when it comes to legislators' position on gun rights. I know the NRA tries its best but I do not believe their ratings are as sound as many others think.
Show me any evidence that he was not fully supportive of the Second Amendment. Show me where he voted against gun owners. Do that, then I'll believe you thought he would betray gun owners.

Chas.
Look at his chairman choices. Look at who his donors are and who he aligned himself. He is a Strauss ally.. Look st the link I provided that shows his position on gun rights. He indicated he supports what we currently have.

Much of the problem with the Republican party is we can't figure out who is a real Republican and who is playing the game to gain power.

It's known he was a Strauss ally. Why would we think he would do different? http://ballotpedia.org/Texas_state_legi ... l_conflict

Texas Monthly reported be was a Straus ally.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/t ... peaker/ven
Don't point me to general crap that doesn't address my questions. Show me where he voted against Texas gun owners. Show me evidence that he does not fully support the Second Amendment. I looked at your links and didn't see anything on these issues. The VoteSmart website didn't show any answers to the gun-related questions.

You want to point to issues other than the Second Amendment, but that's your problem, not mine. I was talking about guns, not other issues. The NRA rates based upon votes on gun issues, not abortion, taxes or anything else you want to consider.

You said you knew he would betray gun owners. I'm still waiting for your proof.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

crazy2medic wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:24 am I was worried my representative Phil King was going to be speaker of the house, I guess Bonnen was a chameleon!
Phil King would have been fantastic on our issues! He has an A+ rating and you don't get the "+" unless you carry our bills and work hard to get them passed.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

1911 Raptor wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:24 am
mojo84 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:54 am
1911 Raptor wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:31 am Didn’t someone post about Straus supporting this guy? Red flags should have went up then!
It's my understanding he is and has been a Straus ally.
2nd red flag should have been when every single democrat voted for him. It just amazes me how the minority party seems to always get what they want. We are being played by both sides!
No, that's not a red flag. Once it is clear that a specific person has the votes to be elected Speaker, everyone who wants the committees of their choice and wants to get their bills passed will vote for the chosen one. When a handful of Representatives voted against Strauss, their bills didn't pass and they didn't get the committees they wanted.

That may not be right, but that's the way it is.
Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:20 am
Papa_Tiger wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:52 am https://texasscorecard.com/state/bonnen ... xas-house/

Interesting take on the House Committee appointments:
The Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety has now been given to Democrat State Rep. Poncho Nevarez (Eagle Pass). While pro-gun legislation had traditionally been sent to this committee, it may be a sign that bills such as constitutional carry could be sent to the Committee on State Affairs instead.
Let's hope so.... I suppose we'll find out shortly.
I don't recall gun bills ever being sent to State Affairs. If they are this session, it will be solely because of the firestorm his committee appointments to the Homeland Security & PUblic Safety Committee and the Criminal Jurisprudence Committee have generated. This is Bonnen's only way out of the political disaster he has created for himself and his fellow Republicans.

Chas.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:39 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:24 am I was worried my representative Phil King was going to be speaker of the house, I guess Bonnen was a chameleon!
Phil King would have been fantastic on our issues! He has an A+ rating and you don't get the "+" unless you carry our bills and work hard to get them passes.

Chas.
I'm going to trust your judgement on this one, your in the trenches and I'm not! Your knowledge of Texas legislature and how it works far exceeds mine, you lead and I shall follow!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

mojo84
Posts in topic: 22

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:36 pm
mojo84 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:57 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:25 pm
mojo84 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:21 pm
mojo84 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:00 pm Not the least bit surprised. What is his NRA 2nd Amendment rating?

http://votesmart.org/candidate/evaluati ... EjX9GlMGyU
Then you're the only person in Texas who isn't surprised. Bonnen has an A rating and, until now, it is well-deserved. He always voted with gun owners. Today is a new day.

Chas.
No, I'm not the only one in Texas. There are many that knew he would be Strauss 2.0.

He is not a conservative and is no different than the other RINO's. http://index.empowertexans.com/legislat ... 2017-index

This here indicates he has no interest in advancing guns rights. http://votesmart.org/candidate/politica ... EkqMWlMGyU

He is ok with the status quo.

I wil agree that I may be one of the few Texans that doesn't believe the NRA ratings are the holy grail when it comes to legislators' position on gun rights. I know the NRA tries its best but I do not believe their ratings are as sound as many others think.
Show me any evidence that he was not fully supportive of the Second Amendment. Show me where he voted against gun owners. Do that, then I'll believe you thought he would betray gun owners.

Chas.
Look at his chairman choices. Look at who his donors are and who he aligned himself. He is a Strauss ally.. Look st the link I provided that shows his position on gun rights. He indicated he supports what we currently have.

Much of the problem with the Republican party is we can't figure out who is a real Republican and who is playing the game to gain power.

It's known he was a Strauss ally. Why would we think he would do different? http://ballotpedia.org/Texas_state_legi ... l_conflict

Texas Monthly reported be was a Straus ally.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/t ... peaker/ven
Don't point me to general crap that doesn't address my questions. Show me where he voted against Texas gun owners. Show me evidence that he does not fully support the Second Amendment. I looked at your links and didn't see anything on these issues. The VoteSmart website didn't show any answers to the gun-related questions.

You want to point to issues other than the Second Amendment, but that's your problem, not mine. I was talking about guns, not other issues. The NRA rates based upon votes on gun issues, not abortion, taxes or anything else you want to consider.

You said you knew he would betray gun owners. I'm still waiting for your proof.

Chas.
Charles,
We are on the same side when it comes to gun rights.

Some of the "general crap" I posted a link to was how Bonnen himself answered questions about his priorities related to guns in this session.

I had questions about Bonnen when his name first came up for speaker. I posted threads on here looking for info. I also saw where the NRA rated him highly. However, I also saw other things that gave me cause for concern regarding how solid of a pro gun speaker he would be. I also saw other things that indicated his fiscal positions were not as conservative as some portrayed.

I also want to correct your assertion I said "I knew he would betray gun owners". I did not say that. I said I wasn't surprised he did. That was based upon my suspicions which resulted from what research I did on here and elsewhere. In other words, it was my OPINION.

People can disagree on issues and even legislators without questioning the other's integrity. I haven't questioned yours and do not see why you should question mine. I also appreciate all work you've done for fun rights and trust your opinion immensely. I just do not believe as strongly that the NRA rating is the 100% benchmark for assessing one's stance one gun issues. I see their ratings at part of the big picture and not the whole picture. The fact I look at more than just gun rights when it comes to picking a speaker or voting is not a problem as you indicated. I consider it being a well rounded responsible voter.

I appreciate your passion but think there is some overreaction to my comment since I showed I am not the "only one in Texas" that had suspicions about Bonnen.

Bottom line, either the wool was pulled over a lot of people's eyes, Bonnen flat out lied as you say, set everyone up with his previous votes or there is a strategy in play we are not aware of and he plans to refer gun issues to another committee.

This is all intended with all due respect and are only my opinions based on what I've seen as an outsider and voter.

From the Votesmart website. Note he previously chose the option that indicated he pretty much supports the status quo.
Dennis Bonnen has refused to provide voters with positions on key issues covered by the 2018 Political Courage Test, despite repeated requests from Vote Smart and voters like you.
What is the Political Courage Test?

Texas State Legislative Election 1996 National Political Awareness Test
This candidate has responded to a Political Courage Test in a previous election. As a continued effort to provide the American public with factual information on candidates running for public office, these archived responses are made available here.

The Political Courage Test asks candidates which items they will support if elected. It does not ask them to indicate which items they will oppose. Through extensive research of public polling data, we discovered that voters are more concerned with what candidates would support when elected to office, not what they oppose. If a candidate does not select a response to any part or all of any question, it does not necessarily indicate that the candidate is opposed to that particular item.
Gun Issues
Please indicate which principles you support (if any) concerning gun issues in Texas.
a) Support the federal ban on the public sale of certain semi-automatic assault weapons.
b) Increase restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
c) Maintain all current state registration procedures and restrictions on possessing firearms.
d) Ease state procedures and restrictions on the purchase and registration of a firearm.
e) Repeal all bans and measures that restrict law-abiding citizens from obtaining firearms.
Xf) Continue to allow law-abiding citizens to carry concealed firearms.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Does it do any good to go to our representative's district offices to voice our opinion/concern in person? Or do they only count that if you show up in Austin?
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:51 am I'm having a hard time understanding why any committee chairs are members of the minority party. Is this the way that things are traditionally done in the Texas house? I believe at the federal level, committee chairs are all members of the majority party (currently democrats for the House).

Can someone enlighten me on whether we typically have Democratic committee chairs appointed in a Republican majority state House, and Republican committee chairs appointed in a Democratic majority state House?

I think this was quid pro quo. Vote for me as Speaker, get some committee chair appointments. I am not against bipartisanship, unfortunately, the left considers compromise, the right cowering and giving in.

I fear that there is still such a strong fear of MSM, the DNC, and Hollywood, support for the leftist agenda, that Bonnen, is the embodiment of what a conservative, has been reduced to.
JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

E.Marquez wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:32 pm Chas, are there rules in place that a bill must go to committee A vs B?
If a bill historically goes to Homeland security for consideration, is it required, or just normal?

Could the type of bill that in the past has always gone to homeland security, in this session be put to some other committee?

If so, who controls what bill goes to what committee?
The Speaker can send any bill to any committee they wish. However, sending a bill to a clearly inappropriate committee would have repercussions.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I want to apologize to some of our Members for a few of my posts. I was less than statesmanlike and I have no excuse. I guess I was/am still steaming over Bonnen's appointments and I let that color my responses.

All we can do at this point is keep the pressure on the Speaker and get every possible gun owner involved in this and future sessions.

Chas.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:51 am I'm having a hard time understanding why any committee chairs are members of the minority party. Is this the way that things are traditionally done in the Texas house? I believe at the federal level, committee chairs are all members of the majority party (currently democrats for the House).

Can someone enlighten me on whether we typically have Democratic committee chairs appointed in a Republican majority state House, and Republican committee chairs appointed in a Democratic majority state House?
Cosigned. I've never understood why in a state where the GOP has controlled both houses of the Legislature by overwhelming margins for (what seems like) decades, the minority party even gets to sniff a committee chair position.

In fairness, I'm pretty fed up with "bipartisanship" and playing nice with the other side, so I want the GOP to wreck shop and take no prisoners, but having the majority party chair all committees doesn't seem a particularly egregious spoil to me.

IlliniBill

Post by IlliniBill »

For those that have contacted your representatives, have you heard anything back? I haven't gotten a response to my message. I also noticed that the usual rabid gun folks like Stickland have been completely silent on the issue.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 7

Post by SewTexas »

IlliniBill wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:03 pm For those that have contacted your representatives, have you heard anything back? I haven't gotten a response to my message. I also noticed that the usual rabid gun folks like Stickland have been completely silent on the issue.
I noticed Stickland's been quiet too. that's pretty odd.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

Does anyone have an email for the Speaker?
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Return to “2019 Texas Legislative Session”