Especially Texan: Emma Daugherty Banister

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 4

Especially Texan: Emma Daugherty Banister

Post by joe817 »

As many of you know, I did a daily "This Day In Texas History" piece a few years ago. I've been wanting to do something to continue exploring the rich history of Texas that I love and enjoy.

Here is but one of the fascinating articles I receive daily. I thought I would share:

""Emma Daugherty Banister, wife of Texas Ranger John R. Banister, made her mark on Texas history as the first woman sheriff in the Lone Star State. Discover more about her life in the entry below."

Emma Susan Daugherty Banister, probably the first woman sheriff in Texas, daughter of Bailey and Martha Ann (Taylor) Daugherty, was born in Forney, Texas, on October 20, 1871. Her father, who had come to the area from Alabama before the Civil War, was murdered in 1878. After her mother remarried, Emma stayed with her family for two or three years, then went to live with the family of her uncle, Lou Daugherty, in Goldthwaite. There she completed her formal education and studied to become a teacher. She taught in Turkey Creek, Mills County, and at Needmore (now Echo), on Jim Ned Creek in Coleman County. There she boarded in the home of the Sam Golson family."

For more reading:
https://sendy.legacyoftexas.com/w/ywAmx ... 5DT1nQXlZw

If you all would like more of the same, please let me know.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Especially Texan: Emma Daugherty Banister

Post by Jusme »

joe817 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 am As many of you know, I did a daily "This Day In Texas History" piece a few years ago. I've been wanting to do something to continue exploring the rich history of Texas that I love and enjoy.

Here is but one of the fascinating articles I receive daily. I thought I would share:

""Emma Daugherty Banister, wife of Texas Ranger John R. Banister, made her mark on Texas history as the first woman sheriff in the Lone Star State. Discover more about her life in the entry below."

Emma Susan Daugherty Banister, probably the first woman sheriff in Texas, daughter of Bailey and Martha Ann (Taylor) Daugherty, was born in Forney, Texas, on October 20, 1871. Her father, who had come to the area from Alabama before the Civil War, was murdered in 1878. After her mother remarried, Emma stayed with her family for two or three years, then went to live with the family of her uncle, Lou Daugherty, in Goldthwaite. There she completed her formal education and studied to become a teacher. She taught in Turkey Creek, Mills County, and at Needmore (now Echo), on Jim Ned Creek in Coleman County. There she boarded in the home of the Sam Golson family."

For more reading:

Yes please!!

I really miss your this day in Texas history posts!!
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

Jusme wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:25 am
joe817 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 am As many of you know, I did a daily "This Day In Texas History" piece a few years ago. I've been wanting to do something to continue exploring the rich history of Texas that I love and enjoy.

For more reading:

Yes please!!

I really miss your this day in Texas history posts!!
I respectfully request, Joe, that you do the Texas history posts from Feb 23 to March 6 and on April 21. Or any time the Spirit moves.
:txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Lena

Post by Lena »

yes do it love these reads
Stay Safe

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Thanks for the replies Jusme, oljames,and Lena...and for the kind words. oljame I'll mark it on my calendar! Heck, I can start all over again and do them all, if the Mods can endure them! :lol:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I can endure them. I always learn something from them Joe.

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:20 pm I can endure them. I always learn something from them Joe.
Thanks Carl. Without any further ado, I'll start them tomorrow. :tiphat:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

joe817 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:51 pm
carlson1 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:20 pm I can endure them. I always learn something from them Joe.
Thanks Carl. Without any further ado, I'll start them tomorrow. :tiphat:

:clapping: :clapping: :hurry: :woohoo

I always enjoy reading them. Plus it allows those not fortunate enough to have been born here, a good sense of what makes Texas, and Texans unique.
Looking forward to them.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just read this linked story to my wife, and she loved it. And let me join the others Joe in saying that I’d like it if you continued.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

yes, please
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

flechero

Post by flechero »

Add me to the list of those in favor!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Me 2
I did not go to Texas Schools while growing up, I love Texan History and enjoy picking up the little bits of information and understanding.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Like Liberty I did not grow up going to Texas schools. As my username indicates, I learned plenty of Tennessee history as a kid. Between the two "T" states, there are a great many historical linkages that formed long-lasting bonds between the two, so I'd really only learned a bit of Texas history from that perspective.

Within a year of moving from East Tennessee to Texas in 1993, I devoured James Michener's Texas as a way of getting my first taste of my new home state's heritage. Yeah, I know it's just historical fiction, but it does give a not-yet-Texan an opportunity to soak up some of the culture - and if that left-wing rag Texas Monthly hated it, it is on my must-read list.

Since then, I've learned a lot more of Texas history, but I really do enjoy tidbits like you post on here, Joe. Please keep it up!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Thanks for the kind words everybody! Mucho appreciated.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Joe, if you print it they will read. (me too)
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “Off-Topic”