Best beginner reloading manual?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Best beginner reloading manual?

Post by bblhd672 »

Recommended first reloading manual for a beginner?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Best beginner reloading manual?

Post by SQLGeek »

I don't think you can go wrong with Lyman 50th, Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition or Hornady 10th Edition. You'll probably find you acquire several. I just started and have both the Lyman 50th and Hornady 10th.
Psalm 91:2

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Your expert reloading friend is your best "book"
I started with LEE, a great place to start if you go with LEE products. Hornady if your buy a lot of Hornady Bullets and Products.
I have both plus others.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

SQLGeek wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:46 am I don't think you can go wrong with Lyman 50th, Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition or Hornady 10th Edition. You'll probably find you acquire several. I just started and have both the Lyman 50th and Hornady 10th.
I agree.

Chas.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Just about any of the hard backed books will be good. Also check out www.ultimatereloader.com
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Thanks for all the responses. I've purchased the Lyman 50th manual as my first. Good to know there's data available online as well.

Now on to acquiring equipment!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:42 pm Thanks for all the responses. I've purchased the Lyman 50th manual as my first. Good to know there's data available online as well.

As others have noted, there is a wealth of reloading data available on the Internet. I like Lyman for a new reloader because of the "how to" information in the book. I also like it because it has load data for cast bullets while most others only show data for jacketed bullets.

Chas.

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:35 pm
bblhd672 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:42 pm Thanks for all the responses. I've purchased the Lyman 50th manual as my first. Good to know there's data available online as well.

As others have noted, there is a wealth of reloading data available on the Internet. I like Lyman for a new reloader because of the "how to" information in the book. I also like it because it has load data for cast bullets while most others only show data for jacketed bullets.

Chas.
I'm sure after reading both the Lyman manual and available web info I'll still have plenty of questions for all you reloaders.

flechero

Post by flechero »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:23 pm
I'm sure after reading both the Lyman manual and available web info I'll still have plenty of questions for all you reloaders.
Great, I hope we can help you make a safe and productive start in reloading. The first trip through a manual is really just an introduction into the equipment, concepts and vernacular. Read it through, then a second time and then start asking questions. It will click pretty fast.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Like many others I learn best visually. I know RCBS has a video series on reloading and I’m sure others do too and their videos along with manuals were extremely helpful. It’s even more helpful if you have a friend that’s experienced with loading that can help.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Alliant Powder 2019 loading guide is available for download:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/ ... atalog.pdf
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Return to “Reloading Forum”