Help me decide: 1-4x Scopes

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Iaoriseis
Posts in topic: 1

Help me decide: 1-4x Scopes

Post by Iaoriseis »

Okay, looking to put a 1-4x scope on my SGL31, and I was wondering what the people thought would be a good choice. I'm looking for something simple a quick as far as reticules go, this isn't for shooting half a mile away afterall.
Choices are:
Burris TAC30 1-4X24 approx $300

Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20mm Matte Duplex approx$280

Millett DMS 1-4x24 Rifle Scope approx $230

Burris 1-4x 24mm illum Ballistic CQ 5.56 approx $400

Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope approx $170

PO 3.5x20 Compact Weapon Rifle Scope w/ German Post Reticle (Kalinka) approx $170

As you can see, I'm trying to keep it below $400, but that's ever so slightly flexible ($500?)
Are there any other suggestions in lower powered scopes? Does anybody have personal experience with any 1-4x or similar scopes?
Thanks guys!
Last edited by Iaoriseis on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaduroBU

Re: Help me decide: 1-4x Scopes

Post by MaduroBU »

Sometimes used ACOGs oop up on ebay in that price range.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I can’t recommend primary arms enough. Their optics are on par with a lot of others that are two and three times the price. Great warranty and customer service. They are some tough scopes. You can stay in your budget with them. Most have illuminated reticle as well. Fun fact, trijicon now uses Primary arms ACSS reticles in some of their optics because they are that good. Nikon also makes some great budgets scopes as well. I’ve got a Nikon P-223 fixed 4 power on a 300 black and its been wonderful too. Holds zero and is very tough. Good clear glass as well.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Skooter

Post by Skooter »

:iagree: https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-gen-ii-5 ... icle-black

I have the same scope on one of my AR`15's. It's a really nice scope for the $$$'s

Skooter
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ruark »

I've come THIS close to getting one of these, but I've always backed off at the last minute, for fear it would take too long for close range target acquisition compared to my trusty red dot.
-Ruark

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Ruark wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:32 am I've come THIS close to getting one of these, but I've always backed off at the last minute, for fear it would take too long for close range target acquisition compared to my trusty red dot.
That's why I narrowed my choices to Leupold or Sig 1x5 with a red dot (they call it Fireplex or something like that). My thinking was it would be similar to a red dot on 1x or you could dial on a little magnification if wanted

I ended up with a Sig Whiskey 3 1x5 that I bought used with a Aero mount. Didn't hurt the price was very good.

I think those options are more than the OP wants to spend unless used.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I went with a Trijicon 1.25-4x24 (going from memory) several years ago and have been very happy with it. I found on craigslist for a really good price. acquisition is fast even with 4x magnification. I wanted one with 1x-4x, but the 1.25x helps my sad aging eyes

If you can find one, you can't beat the glass. Maybe the others are close or better, I don't have any experience with them.
NRA Life Member

Ruark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ruark »

Just curious, what's the MOA size of that dot?
-Ruark

PBR

Post by PBR »

I have Primary Arms https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arm ... 08-reticle and its as clear and as good as a Zeiss Diavari-C i also have -- looking to part with it also if interested
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

equin

Post by equin »

I have the Burris’s “budget” Tac30 and love it. Granted, it’s the only 1-4x optic I’ve ever shot with, so I can’t really compare it to any other variable. However, I had a chance to really test it out in rainy, mud-filled conditions, accidentally banging it against trees and wooden and chain link fences, and dragging and scraping it on a muddy, corrugated steel culvert as I ran it through a 10K run and gun biathlon. To say it got muddy would be an understatement. I had to wipe off the mud as best I could with my dirty fingers to see through it, and I still made both 500 yard gong hits with it. Mind you, my range only goes out to 200 yards, so although I had zeroed it in at 200, I had also never shot past that distance. But I was able to routinely hit at 300 to 500 yards with mud-smeared lenses.

If I knew how to post a picture of it all caked with dried-up mud I would. But if you go to Burris’s Instagram page and scroll down, you’ll see it. Mine is the only submission of a dirty, mud-caked optic on there.

I also managed to lose a turret cap somewhere along the course at the event. I contacted Burris to buy another one, but they said not to worry about it. They sent me two free spares!

Now, I have no idea how long it’ll last as I’ve only had it a year. But I’m real impressed it worked as well as it did given my inexperience past 200 yards under the abuse I subjected it to this past October.
Ed

QB

Post by QB »

I have a couple of Steiner P4Xi 1-4 scopes that I love. They arr 30mm and mounted with Warne one piece mounts. But I think they've gone up since I got mine and are over your $500 budget.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

This one: https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-1-6x24mm ... icle-black

ACSS reticle- laser etched and illuminated
First Focal Plane
1-6x24mm
$399.99

First focal plane scopes are desirable, and this is a great price. Texas company. Fully warranteed. I have one on one of my carbines.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

I really enjoyed my Millet DMS while I had it.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”