Pelosi teases gun control emergency declaration by future Dem President

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Pelosi teases gun control emergency declaration by future Dem President

Post by philip964 »

Skooter

Re: Pelosi teases gun control emergency declaration by future Dem President

Post by Skooter »

Pelosi needs to GO!
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

KLB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KLB »

As much as I'd like to see increased border security, including a wall or other barrier, I fear using an emergency declaration to accomplish that will be a terrible precedent, and I oppose it for that reason.

That said, it's not clear to me how Pelosi's specific threat would work. Would a Democratic president enact gun control or confiscation by executive order based on an emergency declaration? If so, the court's would surely strike that down as being unsupported by legislative authority--for so long as we still have courts in the least interested in retaining our constitutional system. And if the courts no longer want to preserve the constitutional system, the ball game is over one way or the orher.
Last edited by KLB on Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

And so it begins...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

KLB wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:36 am As much as I'd like to see increased border security, including a wall or other barrier, I fear using an emergency declaration to accomplish that will be a terrible precedent, and I oppose it for that reason.

That said, it's not clear to me how Pelosi's specific threat would work. Would a Democratic president enact gun control or confiscation by executive order based on an emergency declaration? If so, the court's would surely strike that down as being unsupported by legislative authority--for so long as we still have courts in the least interested in retaining our constitutional system. And if the courts no longer want to preserve the constitutional system, the ball game is over one way or the orher.
Obama declared 13 National emergencies and 11 of them are still in effect. If they had thought they could get away with it they would have passed the same emergency declaration against the Second Amendment when Obama was in office. And nothing Trump does or does not do is going to dissuade them from doing it in the future.

I will not obey.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

I fear the dark clouds on the horizon are the clouds of war!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

Have people forgotten Obama's use of his phone and pen?

Precedent was established long ago, even before Obama's run.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

Don't be so sure that the Courts would block an executive order. In WWII, a clearly unconstitutional executive order to inter Japanese - American citizens was found to be constitutional by the Supreme Court. They said the emergency took precedents over the Constitution.

Using an Emergency declaration because you didn't get the legislature to go your way isn't a good idea. The confirmation of Kavanaugh bit the Democrats in the rear end when they changed the confirmation rules for judges in an earlier go around. They were warned it would happen.

Trump had bump stocks banned. If the Democrats take control of the Senate and Presidency, look out for gun and magazine bans due to the emergency of gun violence. Esp. if there are more rampages.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

GEM-Texas wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:55 pm Don't be so sure that the Courts would block an executive order. In WWII, a clearly unconstitutional executive order to inter Japanese - American citizens was found to be constitutional by the Supreme Court. They said the emergency took precedents over the Constitution.

Using an Emergency declaration because you didn't get the legislature to go your way isn't a good idea. The confirmation of Kavanaugh bit the Democrats in the rear end when they changed the confirmation rules for judges in an earlier go around. They were warned it would happen.

Trump had bump stocks banned. If the Democrats take control of the Senate and Presidency, look out for gun and magazine bans due to the emergency of gun violence. Esp. if there are more rampages.
I don’t care what they do. I will not comply.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

Syntyr wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:00 am
KLB wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:36 am As much as I'd like to see increased border security, including a wall or other barrier, I fear using an emergency declaration to accomplish that will be a terrible precedent, and I oppose it for that reason.

Obama declared 13 National emergencies and 11 of them are still in effect. If they had thought they could get away with it they would have passed the same emergency declaration against the Second Amendment when Obama was in office. And nothing Trump does or does not do is going to dissuade them from doing it in the future.

I will not obey.
There's a huge difference between using emergency powers to exercise federal powers enumerated in the constitution such as defending the nation's borders and using emergency powers to violate human rights enumerated in the constitution. Not that they care.

It's a moot point. If the swamp creatures can re-classify a bump stock as a MG, they can re-classify a handgun with a barrel less than 16" as a SBR. The same people who caved on bump stocks will cave on short barrels and get as little in return.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Grumpy1993 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 1974 1:43 am
There's a huge difference between using emergency powers to exercise federal powers enumerated in the constitution such as defending the nation's borders and using emergency powers to violate human rights enumerated in the constitution. Not that they care.

It's a moot point. If the swamp creatures can re-classify a bump stock as a MG, they can re-classify a handgun with a barrel less than 16" as a SBR. The same people who caved on bump stocks will cave on short barrels and get as little in return.
They will indeed. Nobody will save us until we finally decide to save ourselves.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

KLB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KLB »

Syntyr wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:00 am Obama declared 13 National emergencies and 11 of them are still in effect.
What I've never heard discussed is how many previous emergency declarations involved spending unappropriated money? That's the real issue here. As an example why, I'm now hearing that a future Democratic president might declare a climate change emergency and start enforcing something along the lines of the Green New Deal, otherwise known as the Great New Steal.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Will he be spending unappropriated money or redirecting money appropriated for other less important or less urgent causes?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

mojo84 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:04 pm Will he be spending unappropriated money or redirecting money appropriated for other less important or less urgent causes?
He will be spending funds from a military slush fund for use in building roads and fences, 10 USC 284
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

crazy2medic wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:09 pm
mojo84 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:04 pm Will he be spending unappropriated money or redirecting money appropriated for other less important or less urgent causes?
He will be spending funds from a military slush fund for use in building roads and fences, 10 USC 284
Thank you.

Interesting read.

www.lawfareblog.com/how-congress-and-pr ... l-possible

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”