Do you ever open carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nwoodco1
Posts in topic: 1

Do you ever open carry?

Post by nwoodco1 »

Curious what the everyone else does, for me (in my limited CHL experience), I will rarely open carry, with a good IWB holster, I just don't see when it would be necessary beyond hunting, being on the ranch, etc.
I am open carrying tonight just so I know what it's like, but I'm not sure when it would be useful in everyday life?
Also, I kept this out of the open carry forum because I want both sides on this one.

cmgee67

Re: Do you ever open carry?

Post by cmgee67 »

I open carry when I can but usually conceal when I’m out with friends and family. I use the Safariland 7TS ALS paddle holster for my Glock 19. I like it because it is more comfortable and I really don’t care what others think. I haven’t had a bad experience and nobody ever seems to care or even notice. Keep in mind not too long ago open carry was the norm and concealed carry was what criminals did.
Last edited by cmgee67 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PBR

Post by PBR »

I still conceal but just makes it so nice no worry of if it gets shown or seen. I'm a big guy and that was always a worry or hassle to deal with.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

PBR wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:22 pm I still conceal but just makes it so nice no worry of if it gets shown or seen. I'm a big guy and that was always a worry or hassle to deal with.
:iagree:

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

Just did. Wife and I went for a walk at a neighborhood park and stopped at Subway on the way home. Nobody seemed to notice. I OC frequently and I’ve never had a negative comment, had a few positive comments, and have noticed the panhandlers, vagrants, and con artist find another direction to go when they notice.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Rarely, but it might only seem that way because I don't carry as much as I'd like anyway. I'm unable to carry at work and I don't like leaving it in my vehicle. Especially for a place that is well marked, which would make employees' vehicles targets for break-ins looking for firearms. I won't ever store it in my bike for obvious reasons. I cannot take it off discretely, like inside a vehicle, and it's even easier to break into.

I have OCed and not really sure if anyone noticed or not, but I'd still like to blend in and not be noticed as much until required. Yeah, yeah, I know, a guy like me with my long hair kinda sticks out a bit anyway, but still ... most people say that makes me seem more laid back and unlikely to cause a ruckus than with my former flat top military style cut when people assumed I was either cop or Marine.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cirus

Post by cirus »

Never intintually but sometimes on accident.

rob777

Post by rob777 »

I haven't, but I normally do carry when I'm out and about. I do prefer carrying with an OWB holster (Sig P938 with Wright Leather Works Predator). Cooler months makes this much easier in Texas but a nice, untucked shirt works well the rest of the year.
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

nwoodco1 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:44 pm Curious what the everyone else does, for me (in my limited CHL experience), I will rarely open carry, with a good IWB holster, I just don't see when it would be necessary beyond hunting, being on the ranch, etc.
I am open carrying tonight just so I know what it's like, but I'm not sure when it would be useful in everyday life?
Also, I kept this out of the open carry forum because I want both sides on this one.
Open Carry all the time. If it is not posted 30.07 I open carry. Couple of exceptions.
1. We ask at church that all weapons be concealed.
2. If I am somewhere that is not posted but I know they would probably frown on it then I put the vest on. Example: my doctor. And changing Dr is not an option. Barely found him. No one else wants our insurance.
I live in Angelina County, Deep East Texas. My son and family live in Round Rock. Only bout 3 miles from Travis county line. I still OC there. Never an eye bobble or problem there either.

You will get several that say they conceal so they have a tactical advantage of surprise. :banghead:
Surprise has never been considered a defensive strategy. If you have to SURPRISE someone they already have you covered w/ a deadly weapon. :fire
Surprise is offensive. Surprise the enemy in ambush. Surprise them with first assault. Surprise is offensive.
Open Carry is a deterrent to any crime of opportunity.
I am a retired Instructor. Before Open Carry I taught and still do that any evident means of self defense is a deterrent to crime. I never had any LEO to disagree with that. Why anyone wants to hide their evident means of personal defense so after a gun or knife is pointed at you and ordered to "gimme your keys and wallet" then you can SURPRISE them with your gun and shoot them is beyond my reasoning. :banghead: :banghead:
You will still get those who wills say All of the above may be true but they still want the element of surprise for defense. Again beyond my reasoning. Just say I am not really comfortable w/ OC.
Had my say one more time I wont argue it w/ anyone.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

extremist

Post by extremist »

Yes, frequently.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Open Carry is the norm for me. I generally only conceal when I know I am going somewhere where I have to cover up, which is generally the airport, either of our movie theatres, HEB and now after a recent experience I will have to include Whataburger.

That said if the weather is bad then I will probably be concealed simply because of wearing a jacket.
Last edited by Noggin on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

deertrax

Post by deertrax »

I always conceal carry. It’s what I’m used to and comfortable with. Summer clothing can be a bit of a challenge.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Certified RSO & Instructor (Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun), NRA Member, TSRA Member

Jay2121
Banned

Post by Jay2121 »

I always open carry. I always have a way to conceal if required, HEB etc. If store is 06and 07 I do not go in. Longtooth nailed it. He is exactly right. Thank you sir.

stroo

Post by stroo »

I conceal 90% of the time. But when it gets warmer, I will usually open carry after church simply by taking my suit coat off.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”