Midland PD officer shot and killed. Edited

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

philip964
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Midland PD officer shot and killed. Edited

Post by philip964 »

WTR wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:02 pm Picture of suspect looks more like mid 4os, not elderly.
Thanks I was doing my best to give the homeowner a little slack if he was old and hard of hearing and forgetful.

If your turning the alarm on for the night how dumb are you not to check that the doors are locked.

Bad words about the homeowner.

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 6

Post by baseballguy2001 »

philip964 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:39 pm My sincere condolences to the murdered officers friends family and colleagues.

At night homeowner shot at flashlight.

I’m going to assume an elderly man. Who set his burglar alarm to Stay went to bed.

Another poster has already made my point, but you are making wild, I dare say, one sided assumptions.

How do you know the LEO's were at the correct house? Home alarm or no, anyone coming in my house through a locked door, is taking a dangerous risk. If the alarm company couldn't make contact with the Home Owner and sent police, I have never seen them enter a home when the alarm was blaring. And, if the alarm was blaring, could one clearly tell what someone was saying 10 or 15 feet away? How about if they were outside and the alarm blaring? All one would see is strangers with dark clothes with flashlights. The Home Owner obviously didn't follow rule #1 after a defensive shooting: Keep your mouth shut. The whole story hasn't come out, hard questions need to be asked of the LEO's, and the Home Owner, lets see what the Texas Rangers find out.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

Article says Texas Rangers are investigating.

Skooter
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skooter »

:confused5 Why don’t we patiently wait until the incident details are released rather than speculate 1,000 “what-if" scenarios?
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Skooter wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:27 pm :confused5 Why don’t we patiently wait until the incident details are released rather than speculate 1,000 “what-if" scenarios?
One article says he called 911 and said someone is breaking into his house.

Another article says burglar alarm.

I go though this situation of what steps I take if I am awakened by my alarm on Stay at night.

What do I do first? Second? What defensive positions do I take? Do I shout out to the intruder, or just shoot after I targeted him or her with my flashlight in their eyes?
I have considered what if is a LEO?

Yes, if he called 911 and reported someone breaking in just as the police were entering, is this another no knock warrant?

Police don’t break in to a home with a burglary call? I assumed they looked to see if the house was secure.

I think with four officers inside the house and him shooting first, he is lucky to be alive.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Skooter wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:27 pm :confused5 Why don’t we patiently wait until the incident details are released rather than speculate 1,000 “what-if" scenarios?
What fun would that be?? ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by howdy »

philip964 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:39 pm My sincere condolences to the murdered officers friends family and colleagues.

At night homeowner shot at flashlight.

I’m going to assume an elderly man. Who set his burglar alarm to Stay went to bed.

Had doors unlocked and potentially not even latched.

Alarm Company called the phone number when one of the doors blew open from the wind we had last night.

Phone maybe was not enough to wake him.

So with no response alarm company sent for police.

BTW his alarm panel is screaming beep beep beep the whole time, but not enough to wake him what 5 10 minutes. Plus if he has an outside alarm it’s also going.

Police enter with flash lights through unlocked or door adjust, announce Police. That now wakes him and he now hears alarm screaming. Grabs his gun, but not HIS tactical flashlight. Sees a shadow moving with a flashlight and fires without identifying a target.

Yes manslaughter.

BTW hold your flashlight way out to the side.

A wonder the other officers didn’t shoot back at the target shooting at them and kill the homeowner.

That is the part that is troubling to me. Who really shot the Officer?
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:05 pm The whole story hasn't come out yet obviously, but a story I saw said the cops were responding to a residential burglar alarm, not a 911 call. In a town next to mine, LEO's responded to the incorrect house of a residential alarm, shot & killed the home owner in his garage. The killer and his partner claimed they didn't know the odd numbers were on one side of the street and the evens on the other. They assumed the home numbers were consecutive. They also claimed they announced their identities just before they put nine rounds into the home owner. With all the nonsense coming out of Houston, I take anything LEO's say with a healthy dose of skepticism.

really....that's how ALL addresses are done, everywhere! my kids learned that as children.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Unfortunately, at some point in time, most have jumped to conclusions. I have done it myself & will wait for the Rangers report.
For some, that is the only exercise they get. :tiphat:
:txflag: :patriot:

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

If a homeowner should understand what happens when their alarm is tripped.
1. a phone call is made to the homeowner, if they don't answer,
(2)there is sometimes an option to make a call to another person
2/3. police response

honestly this sounds like a possible case of the homeowner not understanding their home alarm?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Midla ... 05051.html

Updated story.

Front door was not secure.

Only one shot fired and that was by the homeowner.

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Man-c ... 37871.html

Shooter is an oil exec. Forbes 30 under 30 a while back.

http://www.newser.com/story/272176/poli ... owner.html

Says officer responding to a home security alarm.

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 6

Post by baseballguy2001 »

SewTexas wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:55 pm really....that's how ALL addresses are done, everywhere! my kids learned that as children.
I learned it then too, the shooter is the son of a Police Captain in the same department, but there's no conflict right?
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://ktxs.com/news/abilene/abilene-po ... nd-officer

Midland sold out of blue light bulbs. People now looking in Abilene for the bulbs to honor the fallen officer.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

RIP sir

Condolenses and prayers for the family
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

philip964

Post by philip964 »