5 Officers Shot In Houston - Pray

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jusme
Posts in topic: 10

Re: 5 Officers Shot In Houston - Pray

Post by Jusme »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:35 pm Mr. Cotton, Sir, don't large departments compel their employees to answer questions, especially if they have cases open, or those employees could be terminated? And if terminated, that could mean a loss of retirement benefits? I didn't mean to imply they don't enjoy a 5th amendment right, just that this is an attempt, IMHO, to escape and still get paid.

They can be terminated, for refusing to cooperate with an internal affairs investigation. Which with the power of the Union in HPD, would not be likely. However, if they are being charged criminally, they can still refuse to answer, questions, and not make any incriminating statements.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:35 pm Mr. Cotton, Sir, don't large departments compel their employees to answer questions, especially if they have cases open, or those employees could be terminated? And if terminated, that could mean a loss of retirement benefits? I didn't mean to imply they don't enjoy a 5th amendment right, just that this is an attempt, IMHO, to escape and still get paid.
An agency's "shooting team" can demand answers to questions, but the officer cannot be compelled to answer. It may cost the officer his/her job, but they don't have to answer a question that can be used against them in court. I suspect the officer in question is trying to preserve his retirement/pension in case he is convicted of a felony. Plus, he couldn't make cases any longer as he would be so easy to impeach in trial.

Chas.

Grumpy1993
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Grumpy1993 »

I'm tired of working. What felonies do I need to commit to qualify for a pension from the city of Houston?
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Grumpy1993 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:59 pm I'm tired of working. What felonies do I need to commit to qualify for a pension from the city of Houston?
Have you served enough time to qualify for a pension? If you have, you do not need to commit any felonies to retire and start drawing your pension.

He isn't qualifying for the pension because he committed a felony as your question implies.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

philip964
Posts in topic: 125

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/inve ... estigation

Dribbling out a little information on the call slips, showing they had probable cause to focus on the house.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 20

Post by puma guy »

philip964 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:20 am https://www.click2houston.com/news/inve ... estigation

Dribbling out a little information on the call slips, showing they had probable cause to focus on the house.
I hope the truth is revealed in this case, but I hold out little hope the real facts will come out.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 41

Post by Beiruty »

philip964 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:20 am https://www.click2houston.com/news/inve ... estigation

The mother of the wife of the homeowner (58 yrs old) was reported to the be caller. Her daughter was shot and killed.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Bushwhacker
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bushwhacker »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:32 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:23 pm
Bushwhacker wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:21 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:56 pmIf they lied, WHY? If they hit the house they intended to hit and lied to get the warrant, why?
Didn't the union president answer that already?
IDK, did he?
Pretty obvious. They lied to keep the blue oath of silence... When it looked like it wasn't working, the Union Rep escalated.
Nothing came out since then to indicate this event is unusual in Houston, other than being caught in a lie or two.

:nono:
I prefer peace, but if trouble must come, let it be in my time that my children may know peace.

https://i.imgur.com/BcHTIe2.jpg

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

No-Knock Warrants Put Citizens and Police in Harm’s Way
While far from the only recent example of a no-knock raid gone tragically wrong, the Houston example should serve as a clear warning sign that no-knock raids are in need of immediate and serious reform. And these efforts must not be permitted to be obscured by disingenuous efforts by the gun-control lobby or by the few “bad apples” like Goines and Acevedo, to further the gun-control agenda always lurking in the shadows of any tragedy involving the use of a firearm.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/hpd- ... d-of-april

Probe done end of April.

Said something that could be interpreted as friendly fire or not.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 81

Post by WildBill »

philip964 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:23 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/hpd- ... d-of-april

Probe done end of April.

Said something that could be interpreted as friendly fire or not.
I don't see or hear any new information relating to this case.
NRA Endowment Member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

“When this is all said and done, we are going to have victims that are police officers that were shot in this case that were victims of our actions and potentially the actions of the people that shot them,”

People that shot them, not man that shot them.

Wife didn’t shoot anybody. Who are the people then?

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 41

Post by Beiruty »

philip964 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:37 pm “When this is all said and done, we are going to have victims that are police officers that were shot in this case that were victims of our actions and potentially the actions of the people that shot them,”

People that shot them, not man that shot them.

Wife didn’t shoot anybody. Who are the people then?
Terrorists, I guess.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

DynamicDan
Posts in topic: 12

Post by DynamicDan »

Cops shot each other

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/2nd- ... orney-says

Officer at center of investigation retires.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”