AR10

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Commander Cody
Posts in topic: 2

AR10

Post by Commander Cody »

I would like to have some opinions of some people about AR 10’s. What do you like? And what do you not Like?
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR10

Post by crazy2medic »

My son was looking at getting one in .243, I told him I got dies for .243
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I like the .308 caliber.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Built mine a few years ago, it is a great shooter. I worked up a load with a 180 grain round that it likes very much.

I followed that up with another AR-10 build in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is a tack driver.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

AR-10 is an ideal hunting gun. I have started hunting with AR style rifles the last couple of years and really like that platform. Super easy to mod and change parts if they break. Since they are the same from 22lr to 308 as far as controls, you can upgrade the caliber as your yougin grows and they are already familiar with the gun by the time they get to the larger caliber.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

My Sig 716 is heavy, especially with a large magazine. I have no other complaints.

Topic author
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Brands? Pro’s/Con’s.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

strogg

Post by strogg »

AR10s in general are quite heavy. They're reliable with the right ammo (gas system, after all), and they're pretty darn accurate. I'm not particularly a fan, although I own one and am not planning on ever selling it. The best one I've handled is an LMT. They felt very solid and well built. A very manly AR if you will.

Any reason you're considering one?

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

If you want a AR10, then there is only one option, Armalite.
If you want a MSR that shoots a 308/7.62, then there are several brands or you can build one. Check out Palmetto State Armory if you want to build one on a budget.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

If you can build an AR-15, then you can build an AR-10.

My suggestion would be to build it, this way you get the choose what goes into it.

I would highly recommend a barrel with a matching bolt.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I used to have one. It was a perfectly fine example of the breed, and shot well. It just didn't call my name. I ended up selling it to another member here. I currently have a SCAR 17S, which I like a lot.

My AR10 was really heavy, but it was built as a SASS rifle, with heavy barrel, and beefy parts. You can put one together (or buy one) that is more lightly built. Of course, as the weight goes down, the perceived recoil goes up. All of that said, AR10s are generally about as mind-numbingly reliable as AR15s. The AR platform, in all calibers, is one of the very best gun designs ever.

Just like with the AR15, you can either build one to your own specs, buy a relatively inexpensive one, and customize it later as needed, or buy a high end one right off the bat. Whichever you do, pay attention to magazine requirements. I would avoid an AR10 that doesn't accept SR25 type magazines. Rock River Arms has some nice rifles, but their AR10s use a "non-standard" magazine......FAL magazines, if I recall correctly.

But by all means, get an AR10. Other than ammo cost, there's not really any downside.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lena

Post by Lena »

The AR10 was one on my wants for along time after I got to shoot one alot it never happened though, but I am referring to a real AR10, the original 1st Armalite select fire with the charging handle in the top carrying handle not what if made now, the funds went elsewhere to other similar toys.

Another one I almost got was an original AR9 12 ga. sadly long ago nor memories and pictures.
Stay Safe

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:55 am My AR10 was really heavy, but it was built as a SASS rifle, with heavy barrel, and beefy parts. You can put one together (or buy one) that is more lightly built. Of course, as the weight goes down, the perceived recoil goes up. All of that said, AR10s are generally about as mind-numbingly reliable as AR15s. The AR platform, in all calibers, is one of the very best gun designs ever.
:nono: Ya made me look (Google), TAM. ;-)
My first thought was that you had joined the Single Action Shooting Society and were competing in their new "Time Travelin' Cowboy" division. Then I thought that perhaps The Annoyed Woman was a member of Surviving Assault and Standing Strong and that they were expanding the scope (pun NOT intentional) of their program. And then after wading thru pages of search results, I find out that all you probably meant was Semi-Automatic Sniper System. :shock:

Ah, the perils of a pistol-weenie's lack of knowledge about long guns...... :banghead:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I would like to have one in .243 if I could get the weight down to Colt HBAR range (9lbs). If I run across a receiver on sale whe the time is right, I will probably pick one up to set on.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:55 pm ....all you probably meant was Semi-Automatic Sniper System. :shock:
Heh, heh.... but you figured it out right! This is what it looked like just before I sold it:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”