Had a few rounds explode in my Ruger SR22 pistol.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SickSilverado
Posts in topic: 6

Had a few rounds explode in my Ruger SR22 pistol.

Post by SickSilverado »

At first we had a few casings fail to eject. I believe the first was a cci minimag, the next few were winchester vermin super x (something like that). I took the gun apart and tapped out the brass with a brass rod. Cleaned the gun and lubed with Rem oil. Then this one time I put in a fresh mag and the first shot goes off fine, the second appeared to have gone off in the gun. Blew smoke from ejection port and hit me in the face with something(I was wearing glasses). Turns out it blew the back of the casing out. I disassemble and clean and try again. Samething except this time it blew apart the bullet nose on the following round too. I believe the last 2 rounds may have been cci velocitors. I gave it a thorough clean this time and used Ballistol. Made sure I loaded only minimags. Everything works like normal. Not sure what it was, but I for sure got blasted in the face twice. Any idea what I may have done to cause this? Gun is stock and cleaned after every use. Has maybe 2000 rounds through it. After about 80-100 rounds we usually start having FTE's but today it started around 50 or 60.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Had a few rounds explode in my Ruger SR22 pistol.

Post by Greybeard »

Ruger customer service needs to know about that.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I can't speak specifically to the chamber dimensions of the SR22, but some 22LR chambers are not meant to handle the so-called Hyper velocity ammo. The overall dimension of the cartridges aren't really different, but the hyoper-velocity cases are a bit longer. Brass case over lead projectile will not deform into the leade or rifling as readily as just the lead projectile, so you end up with cases that don't want to seat fully in the chamber, or don't want to extract, as well as overpressure situations. If the gun handles standard velocity (SV) and High Velocity (HV) rounds OK, I just wouldn't use the hyper-velocity ammo in that gun.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
SickSilverado

Post by SickSilverado »

20190331_152235.jpg

Topic author
SickSilverado

Post by SickSilverado »

20190331_152238.jpg

boxermoose

Post by boxermoose »

Looks like an out of battery detonation issue.

Usual suspect is a sticky or broken firing pin. Send the picks to Ruger and get a RMA authorization to return it for inspection

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

Greybeard wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:45 pm Ruger customer service needs to know about that.
Doesn't Ruger customer service recommend against hypervelocity ammunition?
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

DocV

Post by DocV »

Grumpy1993 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:54 pm
Greybeard wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:45 pm Ruger customer service needs to know about that.
The SR-22 that I found online says high-velocity is okay. I did not find a recommendation against hyper velocity ammo.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Manual says not to only when using a suppressor but quite a few posts on the Ruger forum advise against it.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

:iagree:
:iagree:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Topic author
SickSilverado

Post by SickSilverado »

I probably misread, but I thought there were guys having trouble with standard velocity rounds not cycling the pistol. That's why I went with mini mags. Plus mini mags are always in stock here, SV is not as popular.

Topic author
SickSilverado

Post by SickSilverado »

Just wanted to post the conclusion to this. Ruger replaced my barrel, extractor, and slide. I inspected the gun before shipping it to them and it looks like there was an indentation made on the chamber from dry firing. Guessing that's reason the casings fit so tight in the chamber. No more dry fires without snapcaps for me.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Grumpy1993 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:54 pm
Though the OP got the problem fixed, I wanted to post this for anyone who might search this forum and think that the SR22 can't handle hypervelocity ammuntion. Here is the info from the SR22 manual itself:
The RUGER® SR22® pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition of the correct caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollow-point loads. However, sub-sonic or match-grade ammunition may not have sufficient energy to cycle the slide. If you find that the slide does not cycle fully, try another brand of ammunition.
It doesn't specifically mention the word "hypervelocity" but, OTOH, only cautions against ammunition that might be too WEAK to cycle the slide. I'm not a lawyer or a gunsmith, and YMMV, but Ruger is pretty good about warning customers about ammunition they don't want you to use.

Topic author
SickSilverado

Post by SickSilverado »

Ruger included a paper stating that they test fired it with 100 rounds of CCI MINI MAG and I believe Aguila super extra before shipping it back to me.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”