Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

Post by Bitter Clinger »

O.F.Fascist wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:21 pm There has been a similar ruling in the 5th circuit.

https://www.law.com/legaltechnews/2019/ ... 397-19289/
“Official censorship based on a state actor’s subjective judgment that the content of protected speech is offensive or inappropriate is viewpoint discrimination,” the opinion said, noting the court was assuming in its ruling that the sheriff’s office’s Facebook page was a public forum and subject to First Amendment protection.
So all Bonnen has to do is take his page private and there goes the hissy fit lawsuit. And there would be no court costs if there was no lawsuit to begin with.

And who cares about Facebook anyway? Only those who live in their parents basements.

Spend the effort defeating Bonnen next election.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
O.F.Fascist
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Speaker Bonnen sued in Federal Court for 1st amendment violations, blocking critics on Facebook

Post by O.F.Fascist »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm
O.F.Fascist wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:21 pm There has been a similar ruling in the 5th circuit.

“Official censorship based on a state actor’s subjective judgment that the content of protected speech is offensive or inappropriate is viewpoint discrimination,” the opinion said, noting the court was assuming in its ruling that the sheriff’s office’s Facebook page was a public forum and subject to First Amendment protection.
So all Bonnen has to do is take his page private and there goes the hissy fit lawsuit. And there would be no court costs if there was no lawsuit to begin with.

And who cares about Facebook anyway? Only those who live in their parents basements.

Spend the effort defeating Bonnen next election.
You lose all the battles you don't fight. This maybe a minor thing but if Bonnen keeps the page public to show off his "accomplishment" but has no criticism there then it maintains the status quo.

If critics can post on his page maybe some of his constituents will open thier eyes to the reality of his liberalism.

Even if he takes the page down altogether that is still a win as he would get less of his propaganda out.

The culture war is fought on multiple fronts. The Internet and memes have power when they motivate people to out and take action. At the least this action will cost Bonnen some money and hassle.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

It's still FB.

The SCOTUS said obummercare was a tax after the government's lawyer said it wasn't and burdened us with that dung heap. Sometimes they get things wrong.

Bonnen is still a dingleberry, but c'mon. It's FB!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

It's funny how many on the right will just cede an entire battle space to the left, instead of fighting on all fronts. It's little wonder our rights are in such danger.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

O.F.Fascist wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:25 pm It's funny how many on the right will just cede an entire battle space to the left, instead of fighting on all fronts. It's little wonder our rights are in such danger.
Ok, you are right. If I ever get a Facebook account I will ban it immediately. :nono:

NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AJSully421 »

All of you older guys spouting “but it is only Facebook” are extremely and insanely naive. You are projecting your own dislike of social media onto everyone.

Anyone who remotely understands the concept of “winning hearts and minds” sees Facebook for the incredibly important cyber battlefield that it is.

Just because you are old and don’t understand it, doesn’t make it horrible.

Carry on yelling at clouds...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

AJSully421 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:18 am All of you older guys spouting “but it is only Facebook” are extremely and insanely naive. You are projecting your own dislike of social media onto everyone.

Anyone who remotely understands the concept of “winning hearts and minds” sees Facebook for the incredibly important cyber battlefield that it is.

I’m sure insulting those of us who disagree with you isn’t going to “win our hearts and minds.”
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

bblhd672 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:47 am
AJSully421 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:18 am All of you older guys spouting “but it is only Facebook” are extremely and insanely naive. You are projecting your own dislike of social media onto everyone.

I’m sure insulting those of us who disagree with you isn’t going to “win our hearts and minds.”
Perhaps not, but often in a debate the point isn't to win over the person you are debating but to win over the people who might be watching. In the presidential debates Trump didn't win over Hillary, but he sure as hell won over others. Being able to criticize Bonnen and others like him won't win him over, but it might be able to get others to oppose him or at least stop supporting him.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Why are you starting to sound like Mandy from "Last Man Standing"?
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

O.F.Fascist wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:07 am

Perhaps not, but often in a debate the point isn't to win over the person you are debating but to win over the people who might be watching. In the presidential debates Trump didn't win over Hillary, but he sure as hell won over others. Being able to criticize Bonnen and others like him won't win him over, but it might be able to get others to oppose him or at least stop supporting him.
But insulting people who already agree with you that Bonner has revealed himself as aligning with the left isn’t helpful. I don’t recall anyone posting on this thread supporting Bonner. It’s our disdain for the tactics of TCGR and OCT you hold against us.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

bblhd672 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:21 am

But insulting people who already agree with you that Bonner has revealed himself as aligning with the left isn’t helpful. I don’t recall anyone posting on this thread supporting Bonner. It’s our disdain for the tactics of TCGR and OCT you hold against us.
Yep, Bonnen needs to get gone, no disagreement there. But meantime he is showing that he has sharp elbows. He is succeeding in pushing the buttons of TCGR and OCT by simply ignoring them, on Facebook of all meaningless places. So TCGR and OCT get all spun up and exhaust resources in the "cyber battlefield" (give me a break) while meanwhile behind the scenes Bonnen is probably securing his re-election. Sometimes you win the battles you don't fight.

Reminds me of the story of the old bull and the young bull both standing on top of a hill looking down on a herd of cows. The young bull says to the old bull: "Hey, let's run down there and...". Pretty sure you know the rest of this one.

Pass the popcorn please.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

One more like this and others in this thread and you done. If you can't debate without the insults, then rant elsewhere.

Chas.

Topic author
O.F.Fascist

Post by O.F.Fascist »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:28 am
O.F.Fascist wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:07 am Perhaps not, but often in a debate the point isn't to win over the person you are debating but to win over the people who might be watching. In the presidential debates Trump didn't win over Hillary, but he sure as hell won over others. Being able to criticize Bonnen and others like him won't win him over, but it might be able to get others to oppose him or at least stop supporting him.
One more like this and others in this thread and you done. If you can't debate without the insults, then rant elsewhere.

Chas.
To whom are you speaking? I have not insulted anyone here.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:26 am

Why are you starting to sound like Mandy from "Last Man Standing"?
:iagree: :lol:

It's awesome when others tell me how I feel or why I think or feel a certain way.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

O.F.Fascist wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:54 am
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:28 am
O.F.Fascist wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:07 am Perhaps not, but often in a debate the point isn't to win over the person you are debating but to win over the people who might be watching. In the presidential debates Trump didn't win over Hillary, but he sure as hell won over others. Being able to criticize Bonnen and others like him won't win him over, but it might be able to get others to oppose him or at least stop supporting him.

Chas.
To whom are you speaking? I have not insulted anyone here.
You're right and I sincerely apologize. I clicked the wrong post and I'll correct that in the next post

Sorry,
Chas.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”