DWI Charge

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dave09
Posts in topic: 2

DWI Charge

Post by Dave09 »

So hopefully this will be a lesson of how much 2 beers can cost you.....

The other night I was pulled over for speeding....Which turned quickly into a DWI charge that I am now fighting.

The night started out with 1 beer at dinner and then 1 beer at the bar while playing a few games of pool/darts. After 3 hours of consuming my first beer I left for home. The roads were completely empty and wasn't necessarily paying attention to my speed like I should(I have a lead foot). An officer pulls me over when turning into my apartment complex. This quickly escalated into questions about drinking (its 2am and there may have been a cop that saw me leave the bar). I honestly stated that I only had 2 beers that night and that got me a ride down to the jail....

So all in all right now 2 beers has cost me 3 grand + due to lawyer fees and will be wasting a lot of my free time. Just to wait for my blood test to come back way under .08.... :mad5. The worst part of it is even know the cop was completely wrong there is nothing I can do to recover the wasted money on this. So word to the wise even if its just 1 drink it could cost a whole lot more.

:banghead:

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Re: DWI Charge

Post by carlson1 »

Sorry for the troubles, but like you I hope your post will discourage others from drinking and driving. We always say alcohol and guns do not mix, but neither do cars and alcohol. It is just not worth it (as you have already stated). Thanks for posting about your troubles.
I hope your blood test comes back soon and maybe you will not be out a lot of more money. Let us know. Prayers sent for you.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

No FST?

Hope it turns out that the only thing you lose is the $$
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

flechero

Post by flechero »

Probably when you said 2 beers it was all over... friend of mine was a deputy and he said almost every drunk he ever stopped said "2 beers"

Good luck, I hope the worst is over

Topic author
Dave09

Post by Dave09 »

I figured I would post an update to this thread with the final details.

Criminal charge: Driving while intoxicated
Details:
  • Total alcohol consumption: 2 beers
  • Drinking time: 3 hours
  • Reason for being pulled over: Speeding
  • Time in captivity: 1 day in jail
  • Lawyer fees: 3,300 dollars
  • CHL temporarily suspended
  • Drivers license confiscated and given a 45 day temporary license.

So after all that. I was set back 5 months in saving and a massive amount of time wasted. To find out that I had a 0.00 BAC :banghead:. The case has been dismissed but the arrest will stay on my background for 2 years until I can get it removed.

*Start Rant* so much for innocent until proven guilty. They had no evidence that i was above the legal limits and yet multiple rights were stripped away.

The system is set up to screw anybody over even know that they may be perfectly fine.
  • The FST was a joke.
    It was freezing cold out. In the thirties.
    High winds
    Uneven ground
  • They do not offer a portable breathalyzer. Even know that they are not completely accurate it would prevent the officer from making a completely wrong call.
  • At this point you are offered only a breathalyzer test at the station or a blood test. If you choose the more reliable one you are instantly arrested and charged.
So much for believing that the system can't be that bad.
*Endrant*

Moral of the story you may beat the charge but you will not beat the ride.....

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Thanks for the update.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Sorry for the issue. I have always thought it was bull that an arrest stays on your record even if you are innocent. Anybody who honestly thinks you are innocent until proven guilty is gullible.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

And this is the exact reason why people distrust some law enforcement folks these days. Just wow! Bet you didn’t even get an apology for something that shouldn’t happen in the first place.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Dave09 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:31 pm To find out that I had a 0.00 BAC :banghead:.
That should be a case where the State reimburses all your expenses and wipes the record and gives you a big fat apology!

With no recourse, the system will never keep from ruining those wrongly accused or arrested.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RicoTX wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 pm Sorry for the issue. I have always thought it was bull that an arrest stays on your record even if you are innocent. Anybody who honestly thinks you are innocent until proven guilty is gullible.
:iagree: Many people still think if you hadn't done anything wrong you wouldn't have been arrested. :smash:
NRA Endowment Member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

WildBill wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:29 am
RicoTX wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 pm Sorry for the issue. I have always thought it was bull that an arrest stays on your record even if you are innocent. Anybody who honestly thinks you are innocent until proven guilty is gullible.
:iagree: Many people still think if you hadn't done anything wrong you wouldn't have been arrested. :smash:

I was pulled over and tested for a DUI. I passed all tests and blew all zeros when I voluntarily took a breathalyzer test. The Officer said " I still think you are drunk". I demanded a blood test and I called my Attorney as we stood on the side of the road. The DPS Officer decided I was good to go. When asked why I was driving at various speeds I said I was trying to get this idiot with his brights lights on and tailgating me off my 6..

F350-6

Post by F350-6 »

Out of curiosity, what exactly did the lawyer do that cost so much money? Sounds like you were into it for 3 grand right away while you were waiting on the blood result tests. Even at $200/hr, that's a lot of hours just to post bail.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I may have misread, but I was wondering if the OP was breathalyzer?

I am assuming he refused that is why the DL was suspended?

If you took the breathalyzer then it would have all been cleared up that night I would think.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Dave09 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:31 pm The other night I was pulled over for speeding....Which turned quickly into a DWI charge that I am now fighting.

The night started out with 1 beer at dinner and then 1 beer at the bar while playing a few games of pool/darts. After 3 hours of consuming my first beer I left for home. The roads were completely empty and wasn't necessarily paying attention to my speed like I should (I have a lead foot).
Meaning no disrespect, but the two beers wasn’t your problem. It became your problem, but the beer isn’t what got you pulled over. Exactly none of this would have been an issue without that lead foot. Maybe consider a change of driving habits? Just a thought.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

loscar141

Post by loscar141 »

I respect law enforcement for what they do, but at the same time that's why I do not speak to them. I am polite and courteous, and I let them do their job, while I do mine, which is not to incriminate my self
Last edited by loscar141 on Sat May 18, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Never Again!!”