Woman threatens to shoot teachers/kids at my kid's elem scho

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Woman threatens to shoot teachers/kids at my kid's elem

Post by suthdj »

bagman45 wrote:I would certainly support an approach that relieved some LEO's from their duties driving around town writing tickets, to allow them to be placed in each school building during school hours. :thumbs2:
and still writing tickets only now it is to kids.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

CEOofEVIL wrote:Perhaps I can shed some light on the topic of school security; I work IT in a small, rural school district (which I will not name for obvious reasons) and we've been making quite a few changes to accommodate for increased security and safety for the kids in the past few months.

Regarding the whole "Silent Alarm" idea - such a thing does exist. Our department has been working with a company called COPsync to integrate their product into our district technology plan for months now. The gist of their program is that each computer in a school (issued to Teaching or Administrative Staff) has a small unobtrusive program installed on it. This program basically runs in the task bar constantly, until needed. If a situation arises that requires immediate law enforcement presence, a user simply double clicks the icon, and an alert is sent out after a short delay (to make sure it is not actuated by accident). This alert is sent out to every Law Enforcement agency in our area - sheriffs department, local PD, DHS and all of it's alphabet cousins in an effort to get a better response, both in numbers of responding officers, and time.

So thankfully, the technology does exist, though not every ISD is going to implement it for whatever reason. I know that as far as how we have things setup, it's intended to provide another option to contact help as there are some plausible scenarios where a phone may not be a viable option to do so. I think this is a great idea personally, as I'm one of the few folks in the district that feels our security could use some massive bolstering. Thankfully we're headed in the correct direction. We do have a sheriff at each campus all the time to improve in response to a threat. Which is great...BUT, without getting into details, the entire district needs SERIOUS training regarding lockdown drills and emergency procedures for something like an active shooter scenario, the Sheriffs Dept included. We ran a drill some months back that had an abysmal outcome (in my view).I sincerely hope they've been training more - and likewise, the staff needs to be better trained, however the emphasis is simply not put on this need by our School Board or SI.

A close friend of mine who is a teacher has invited me to help create a presentation for the school board regarding our security protocols, and how despite the improvements we are making need to be much more far reaching with a lot more constant training. School Marhsalls, and allowing CHL on campus will be included by this. We really strongly believe that things as they are now, are no where near where they should be. I've even suggested that we have a small number of selected staff attend a course such as ICE/Rob Pincus' SARC to our SI, however he simply seems to have dismissed it for whatever reason. Hopefully as time develops, we can help initiate better training and protocols for all of our staff to help create the utmost secure environment without taking extremely impractical measures.

So, as far as I can tell, school security can always be improved. Ours wasn't great but is getting better - and still needs a ton of work to meet what I feel are acceptable standards. Technology can really help deliver the extra edge to help things become safer, if you can swing it. Since I only have experience with my area, I'd be interested to see and hear about how security is for a large ISD - I'd imagine it'd be a far cry from how it is for us.
Many, many more districts in Texas need to take a cue from your district. I'm glad to hear that there are ways to implement a "panic button" without major additional expense.

Thanks for sharing that information. I hope that others will catch on.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

drumbdummer

Post by drumbdummer »

What kind of price tag does this copsync carry? I work at a school
District that is small and rural and would love to see this presented to my school board.

Z1166

Post by Z1166 »

My organization recently installed this system, similar to what's described above:

http://www.lynxguide.com/index.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can just press buttons F9 and F11 on your keyboard and a panic alarm is activated. It can also be used to transmit messages about situations.

Lots of options out there. Of course, the panic alarm just starts the clock ticking in minutes when seconds count.
:fire :reddevil

punkndisorderly

Post by punkndisorderly »

Not saying I oppose police presence on campus, but just to play devils advocate, adding police isn't all rainbows a d cotton candy.

Take a medium/small sized district with 12 elementary schools, 3 junior highs, a high school, and and alternative school. That's 16 cops. Add in another couple to fill in for officers out for training, sick leave, FMLA. Add in 2 more for covering after school events (games, concerts, weekend festivals, etc. So, 20 officers. The cost in salaries, benefits, training, equipment, etc. Is probably 100k a year, give or take 20k. That's either 2 million more in taxes, or 20-40 fewer teachers. Schools may piss away a lot of money in dollars, but not so much as a percentage of their operating budget. (at least in my experience)

Whether or not that's a worthwhile cost is debatable.

Another thing to consider is what happens when you have police on campus. Police are there to arrest people and write tickets
. Having one on campus brings in potential for misuse/abuse. Principals, rather than taking charge of discipline and meting out school punishments, now can pawn it off on police. Johnny gets in a fight at school (I know I did, often). 20 years ago, Johnny would have gotten paddled by a coach, detention, or suspension (plus more when he got home). With police there, Johnny gets an assault or disorderly conduct charge and a rap sheet. Cursing? A ticket and order to appear in court for him and his parents.

Again, not saying that's always a bad thing, but rather a judgement call.

Lastly, it, like most solutions that seem to be proposed, only addresses the symptoms and not the problem itself (poor mental health system, break down in the family, poor parenting, or whatever you choose as the "problem").
Texas CHL Instructor

flechero

Re: Woman threatens to shoot teachers/kids at my kid's elem scho

Post by flechero »

Ha! got me on the resurrected post! :oops:
Last edited by flechero on Thu May 30, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

:headscratch 5 year old thread resurrected.....
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

bblhd672 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:41 am :headscratch 5 year old thread resurrected.....
Thanks to the new Jr Member.
NRA Endowment Member

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

Did anyone click on the links?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

joe817

Post by joe817 »

anygunanywhere wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 am Did anyone click on the links?
I didn't. For someone who joined 4 hours ago, and post 2 links, raised red flags. Trust has to be earned. And this guy didn't give me any reason to trust him/her. :totap:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

anygunanywhere wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 am Did anyone click on the links?
You funny Petersan!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

AndyC wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:17 am The links are fine - I clicked on them for you.
Now Andy has cooties.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WTR wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:33 am
AndyC wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:17 am The links are fine - I clicked on them for you.
Now Andy has cooties.
Is there any known cure? :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

What did you see?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”