Gun-handling - Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson go off

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun-handling - Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson go off

Post by WTR »

I use all tools very hard and in adverse conditions at times. However, I never abuse them. Throw that Glock at a pile at rocks and it may shoot back at you.

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flechero »

Rob72 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:35 pm Emerson pulled out his 17, cleared the chamber, inserted a loaded mag, and hurled it at a pile of rocks in a gorge. They all went down to retrieve his pistol. Everyone eared up, and Emerson emptied the mag into the hillside. He asked who would replicate the demo with the 1911s on hand. Dead silence, then laughter.

All that to say, some platforms are demonstrably more tolerant of abuse than others. :cheers2:
They were laughing at him, not with him. No one in attendance had a cheap gun, except the idiot that threw his. And the reality is that if it had hit right, it could have easily been rendered useless.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Bitter Clinger »

flechero wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 pm
Rob72 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:35 pm Emerson pulled out his 17, cleared the chamber, inserted a loaded mag, and hurled it at a pile of rocks in a gorge. They all went down to retrieve his pistol. Everyone eared up, and Emerson emptied the mag into the hillside. He asked who would replicate the demo with the 1911s on hand. Dead silence, then laughter.

All that to say, some platforms are demonstrably more tolerant of abuse than others. :cheers2:
They were laughing at him, not with him. No one in attendance had a cheap gun, except the idiot that threw his. And the reality is that if it had hit right, it could have easily been rendered useless.
Sounds like you were there? Did you grab a picture with your film camera? Perhaps you could fax that to us?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

easy10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by easy10 »

By design, only insert a magazine when the slide is locked back. Heard this, never saw it written any where.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Rob72 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:26 pm Not gonna fight with you bro. Wilson, Brown, etc., command a high price because they are the Ferraris of the firearms world. A Glock with a grand of mods is pretty self-defining as more inherently fragile than the base platform. A stock RIA or Springfield will be more tolerant of being dropped in the mud in the driveway, and coming up ready to fire, simply because of the looser tolerances than a custom 1911.

With regard to traumatic drops, the thumb safety, hammer hooks and sear of the 1911 are demonstrably more fragile than the flexible poly frame, and simpler firing group linkage in a Glock.
I think your customized glock analogy is correct.... but the original comparison was a stock, unloaded glock thrown vs some [presumably] higher end 1911's. Going apples to apples, with an unchambered gun (thus hammer down on empty) I bet the old original spec wartime 1911's would have shot after being thrown. In fact the stories of some of the old guns are quite remarkable.

And for the record, I wouldn't throw any gun of mine at a rockpile, down a gorge... regardless of make, material or legend. :lol:

Bitter Clinger wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:26 am Sounds like you were there? Did you grab a picture with your film camera? Perhaps you could fax that to us?
I searched high and low for a pic of Cooper and Emerson, just for comedic relief, but couldn't find one!

flechero

Post by flechero »

Rob72 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:32 am
flechero wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 pm

Not so much. It was the start of a longstanding relationship.
https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993608
One has nothing to do with the other, unless he threw it off the cliff as well... :lol: Have you never had a laugh at a friend before? Or been the butt end of friendly laughter?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”