Deadly force to protect livestock?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Deadly force to protect livestock?

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Can someone tell me if it is LEGAL (I don't mean would you) shoot to protect livestock from being killed by a human being? I read a story about someone gut-shooting several miniature donkies in Mississippi, and I wasn't sure how Texas law covers that. Seems pretty heinous to kill animals that way, much less the destruction of someone's property.

Jusme

Re: Deadly force to protect livestock?

Post by Jusme »

IANAL, but livestock should be treated, as any other property. Since, if someone is trying to kill it, and dead livestock can't be recovered, I would think deadly force would be justified. They use to hang rustlers, so I doubt any prosecutor would try to bring charges.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

Based on my friendship with multiple West Texas cattle and sheep ranchers, I can guarantee someone would get shot, multiple times, and no charges would be filed.

I have pictures of armed poachers on my place. Game warden told me if I encountered armed poachers to do what was necessary, call him, and he would come over and help with the mess.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Play with the bull and get the horns.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jusme wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:24 pm IANAL, but livestock should be treated, as any other property. Since, if someone is trying to kill it, and dead livestock can't be recovered, I would think deadly force would be justified. They use to hang rustlers, so I doubt any prosecutor would try to bring charges.
I believe this assessment, with a caveat, is correct, but, I am not a lawyer. Just my opinion.

The caveat is whether killing livestock is considered criminal mischief (deadly force only justified during the nighttime) or agg robbery. ??

Looking at PC 42.092, Cruelty to Livestock, I don't believe this PC applies to the question asked.
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/SOTW ... m/PE.9.htm
Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:48 pm Can someone tell me if it is LEGAL (I don't mean would you) shoot to protect livestock from being killed by a human being? I read a story about someone gut-shooting several miniature donkies in Mississippi, and I wasn't sure how Texas law covers that. Seems pretty heinous to kill animals that way, much less the destruction of someone's property.
This isn't the first time this guy has had issues, someone doesn't like him.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:24 pm
Jusme wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:24 pm IANAL, but livestock should be treated, as any other property. Since, if someone is trying to kill it, and dead livestock can't be recovered, I would think deadly force would be justified. They use to hang rustlers, so I doubt any prosecutor would try to bring charges.
I believe this assessment, with a caveat, is correct, but, I am not a lawyer. Just my opinion.

The caveat is whether killing livestock is considered criminal mischief (deadly force only justified during the nighttime) or agg robbery. ??

Looking at PC 42.092, Cruelty to Livestock, I don't believe this PC applies to the question asked.
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/SOTW ... m/PE.9.htm
Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

This.
I was referring to the section 3 (A) that you posted, which would be, if someone was shooting livestock, then the owner would reasonably believe that they could not be recovered or protected by any other means. I don't know if that would be considered criminal mischief, but I would be willing to bet, that any livestock owner would be no billed, even if he was protecting his livestock at high noon. And I would also bet, that anyone who filed suit over being shot, would have a difficult time finding a sypathetic judge, or jury, to rule in their favor. I know how I would vote if I were on such a jury. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

PC 28.03 Criminal Mischief
(a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner:
(1) he intentionally or knowingly damages or destroys the tangible property of the owner;

Would livestock be considered tangible property?

Further down in PC 28.03 it talks about the charges of firearms used to kill or injure cattle, which makes it a 3rd degree felony.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I was told by a Ranch Foreman that a lot of poaching and cattle rustling has mafia ties, he said there is serious money being made by these activities and that the people doing it will kill you in a heartbeat! He said treat them as is they are convicted murders!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

cheezit wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:48 pm Can someone tell me if it is LEGAL (I don't mean would you) shoot to protect livestock from being killed by a human being? I read a story about someone gut-shooting several miniature donkies in Mississippi, and I wasn't sure how Texas law covers that. Seems pretty heinous to kill animals that way, much less the destruction of someone's property.
This isn't the first time this guy has had issues, someone doesn't like him.
That guy might be the biggest jerk in the world, but still, gut-shooting animals like that, well that bothers me quite a bit. I don't personally own livestock, but since I live in a rural area I wondered if it was justifiable/defense-to-prosecution to use deadly force to protect livestock, called out specifically in the PC.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

It is illegal to shoot a neighbors Bull even if he kills your Bull on your own property . I cannot imagine killing a human for killing your livestock would be acceptable. Not that I agree with that sentiment .

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I would think the afore mentioned bull owner owes somebody a new bull!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

crazy2medic wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:16 pm I would think the afore mentioned bull owner owes somebody a new bull!
Bull was not killed. Scraped up a bit. Good 5 wire fence ruined. Surprisingly, not much done to the scum neighbor.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”