Trump: Banning Suppressors?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

DynamicDan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Trump: Banning Suppressors?

Post by DynamicDan »

Write him a letter.

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MaduroBU »

Does the NFA have a severability clause? Just thinking aloud.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

BTW, how many bump stock were surrendered. 0.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

It looks like the Supreme Court will decide today whether or not to hear the Kansas case of Jeremy Kettler.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/0 ... 5LaSzsHiWs
Kettler failed to pay a $200 tax and file ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) paperwork to register the suppressor, which he purchased from a local Army-Navy surplus store. The owner of the store, Shane Cox, was not licensed to manufacture such accessories, and was also found guilty for illegal manufacture and marketing.

Although federal law requires silencers to be registered per the NFA, Kansas state law says that all firearms, accessories and ammo manufactured and possessed inside the state are exempt from federal law.
In the petition, Kettler’s legal team explained that the 10th Circuit found that silencers are considered accessories and therefore not granted Second Amendment protection.

“Under that sweeping logic, Congress could ban all ammunition without violating the Second Amendment. That cannot be correct,” the team argued. “The panel’s sole rationale for holding that silencers were not protected was that silencers were not ‘bearable arms,’ a rationale that would apply equally to ammunition. That improper analysis warrants reversal.”
Do what you say you're gonna do.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K.Mooneyham »

President Trump is a businessman and NOT a knowledgeable guy when it comes to firearms. I believe that he is getting advice from those that are either ignorant on the subject, or are flat out lying to him. I wish those who are knowledgeable and in a position to converse with him would do a better job of educating him on the subject.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?

Ordering a solvent trap if they are banned will be just like ordering those Glock auto sears off Wish.com. If you build your own, you won’t be able to use it anywhere on public.

This is not ok.

If we roll over on this, there will be more to come.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 16

Post by anygunanywhere »

TexasJohnBoy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?

Ordering a solvent trap if they are banned will be just like ordering those Glock auto sears off Wish.com. If you build your own, you won’t be able to use it anywhere on public.

This is not ok.

What do you mean if “we” roll over on this?
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

anygunanywhere wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:16 pm
TexasJohnBoy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am Seriously, what’s going on with this? Has there been any response by the NRA to this?

This is not ok.

The collective “we.”

“It’s fine, it won’t affect me, I don’t own any suppressors” - that mentality.

Specifically I want the nations largest gun rights organization to step in somehow and be publicly against this idea.

I’m not trying to be combative or argumentative but this is pretty unnerving.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

TexasJohnBoy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:25 pm

This is not ok.

The collective “we.”

“It’s fine, it won’t affect me, I don’t own any suppressors” - that mentality.

Specifically I want the nations largest gun rights organization to step in somehow and be publicly against this idea.

I’m not trying to be combative or argumentative but this is pretty unnerving.
I understand. Thank you for clarifying.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

This is not ok.

There’s no "rolling over" for me. If ATF agents show up in overwhelming force like a SWAT team to take my suppressors, I’m going to choose to live to fight another day, and not take them under fire. They can take them and leave in peace. Why? Because having already done so twice, I already know how to manufacture my own. And they work really well, too. If I see a need strong enough to warrant defying the gov’t, I will do so.

I seriously doubt that confiscating suppressors would be enough trigger to kick off a CW2. There’s only something like 250,000 active suppressor registrations right now, and - just as with firearms - a number of those are cases of one person owning multiple cans. So it’s not a big enough population to motivate an uprising. A lot of the nation's 100+ million gun owners will say that a suppressor ban doesn’t affect them, and they won’t commit to a struggle over something that affects less than 1/4 of 1% of them. It’s going to take something like a national level confiscation of all semiautomatic rifles to trigger a CW2.....and THAT would be the kind of need that would motivate me to manufacture a suppressor in secret. Because at that point, federal law enforcement no longer has any legitimacy. In fact NOTHING about federal gov’t has any legitimacy at that point. When it turns upon the people, it becomes our duty to abolish and replace it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bbhack
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bbhack »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:06 am President Trump is a businessman and NOT a knowledgeable guy when it comes to firearms. I believe that he is getting advice from those that are either ignorant on the subject, or are flat out lying to him. I wish those who are knowledgeable and in a position to converse with him would do a better job of educating him on the subject.
This. Many things he says are meant to confuse the opposition. In this case, he just does not know better. There are a lot of balls in the air, and as much as he should know better, he just does not. I'm sure he's been made aware by now.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Don't expect a public statement, but also don't assume the NRA is doing nothing. Public beating of one's chest is what is done by people and organizations that have no impact. They can't make a difference so they just make noise. As much as I'd like to say more, I cannot.

Chas.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:45 pm
Don't expect a public statement, but also don't assume the NRA is doing nothing. Public beating of one's chest is what is done by people and organizations that have no impact. They can't make a difference so they just make noise. As much as I'd like to say more, I cannot.

Chas.
Thank you for commenting, it’s appreciated.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:03 pm

This is not ok.

There’s no "rolling over" for me. If ATF agents show up in overwhelming force like a SWAT team to take my suppressors, I’m going to choose to live to fight another day, and not take them under fire. They can take them and leave in peace. Why? Because having already done so twice, I already know how to manufacture my own. And they work really well, too. If I see a need strong enough to warrant defying the gov’t, I will do so.

I seriously doubt that confiscating suppressors would be enough trigger to kick off a CW2. There’s only something like 250,000 active suppressor registrations right now, and - just as with firearms - a number of those are cases of one person owning multiple cans. So it’s not a big enough population to motivate an uprising. A lot of the nation's 100+ million gun owners will say that a suppressor ban doesn’t affect them, and they won’t commit to a struggle over something that affects less than 1/4 of 1% of them. It’s going to take something like a national level confiscation of all semiautomatic rifles to trigger a CW2.....and THAT would be the kind of need that would motivate me to manufacture a suppressor in secret. Because at that point, federal law enforcement no longer has any legitimacy. In fact NOTHING about federal gov’t has any legitimacy at that point. When it turns upon the people, it becomes our duty to abolish and replace it.
The first ones that will “roll over” are the RINOs in DC, the ones who “support” the Second Amendment. Same as they have been rolling over since since the illegal immigrant in chief took office.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Chas.
Charles,

I trust you and the NRA are doing what you can. This issue seems to me to be a perfect example of the left being able to sculpt the discussion in a way that gets them what they want. Using the misleading term Silencer... Leaning on the Hollywood misconception that Suppressors make firearms undetectable. Having a de facto ban (I know we can get them through a very lengthy and expensive process, but most don't) on what should be an encouraged accessory for all hunters. It just seems like we've already ceded the high ground on a fight that should have been a no brainer when explained with logic.

I was very disappointed that the Hearing Protection Act wasn't passed in the first two years when we held both chambers and the white house.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”