Bonnen must go

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 3

Bonnen must go

Post by LDB415 »

Bonnen may be even worse than the jerk he replaced. What do we do to get him out in the primary? Who can run against him? We've got to put an end to him.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

SigSour
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bonnen must go

Post by SigSour »

Bonnen Says He Will Punish Republicans for Opposing Democrats

https://texasscorecard.com/state/bonnen ... RdaGKhgxY8

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

SigSour wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 pm Bonnen Says He Will Punish Republicans for Opposing Democrats

https://texasscorecard.com/state/bonnen ... RdaGKhgxY8
Wow, that's an incredible article. Everyone needs to read and heed that. :mad5

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Bonnen really, really wants to stay in power regardless of the majority party he affiliates with. When can the legislature vote to remove him as Democrat Mouthpiece..I mean House Speaker?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

joe817

Post by joe817 »

From the article:

"This development is even more interesting in light of recent comments made by Bonnen praising Democrat State Rep. Joe Moody (El Paso), telling a reporter, “I think Texas would be very blessed if there was a Democrat majority and Joe Moody wanted to lead the House.”

After a legislative session in which the priorities of the Republican Party of Texas were stymied, conservative Texans have to wonder whether “keeping Texas red” is a priority for Bonnen at all.

No! It's exactly the opposite! This guy has to be stopped! :mad5 :mad5
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

joe817

Post by joe817 »

It will be interesting to note how quickly her campaign coffers fill up after her announcement! :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I attended a meeting last night which featured, as speakers, three member of the Texas Legislature - 2 House members and a senator. I would judge them all to be men of integrity and applaud their courage for coming before what I will characterize as somewhat hostile but restrained audience. They were all given unlimited opportunities to make opening and closing remarks but fielded questions from the audience as a panel. There were large differences of opinion among them on most of the key legislative efforts from this session, both those that passed and those that did not.

The recurring theme of the evening was a focus on redistricting and it was stated that the desire of this session was to make sure that there was a Republican majority in both Houses when that happened.

My interpretation was that there was "concern" (I would have called it cowardice) in the aftermath of the Cruz/Beto results among the Texas leadership, not just Bonnen. The panel was asked the specific question "Does Bonnen have a plan for keeping Texas Red?" The answer was "yes" but not even a hint of the aspects of such a plan were shared. The information provided was unconvincing to me.

The previous month, a spokesman for the Republican party provided remarks that 1 million NEW Republican voters will be needed to counter the gains of the Democrats for 2020. I have to scratch my head wonder exactly how anyone is supposed to attract one single new voter when the Republican platform on which the leadership for this session ran was so wildly abandoned. "Don't vote for Democrats" doesn't seem to be a winning theme, at least to me.

To be fair, we were told that there was significant educational reform in the $5B that was given school funding. It remains to be seen if the failure to stop union payroll funding - much of which bankrolls Democratic political efforts and the failure to address voter fraud can be overcome. Bonnen was clearly behind the efforts to scuttle fixes for both of those problems. Appeasement never works IMHO.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

The problem is much bigger than Bonnen.

Remember he got ELECTED to the speaker position and it's highly unlikely that he wasn't an easily recognized rinocrat before then.

'Everyone who voted for him, both in his district and in the legislature, is responsible for our current situation.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

It sounds like the Republican plan is “trust us.”

Trust rattlesnakes and politicians at your own peril.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:44 am I attended a meeting last night which featured, as speakers, three member of the Texas Legislature - 2 House members and a senator. I would judge them all to be men of integrity and applaud their courage for coming before what I will characterize as somewhat hostile but restrained audience. They were all given unlimited opportunities to make opening and closing remarks but fielded questions from the audience as a panel. There were large differences of opinion among them on most of the key legislative efforts from this session, both those that passed and those that did not.

The recurring theme of the evening was a focus on redistricting and it was stated that the desire of this session was to make sure that there was a Republican majority in both Houses when that happened.

My interpretation was that there was "concern" (I would have called it cowardice) in the aftermath of the Cruz/Beto results among the Texas leadership, not just Bonnen. The panel was asked the specific question "Does Bonnen have a plan for keeping Texas Red?" The answer was "yes" but not even a hint of the aspects of such a plan were shared. The information provided was unconvincing to me.

The previous month, a spokesman for the Republican party provided remarks that 1 million NEW Republican voters will be needed to counter the gains of the Democrats for 2020. I have to scratch my head wonder exactly how anyone is supposed to attract one single new voter when the Republican platform on which the leadership for this session ran was so wildly abandoned. "Don't vote for Democrats" doesn't seem to be a winning theme, at least to me.

To be fair, we were told that there was significant educational reform in the $5B that was given school funding. It remains to be seen if the failure to stop union payroll funding - much of which bankrolls Democratic political efforts and the failure to address voter fraud can be overcome. Bonnen was clearly behind the efforts to scuttle fixes for both of those problems. Appeasement never works IMHO.
Well, exactly who I vote for may not be set in stone, but I assure you that I, for one, will NOT vote for ANY Democrat. I haven't seen any current Democrat who isn't a gun-grabber, in one form or fashion. That said, I certainly do worry about the leadership of the Republican Party in this state.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Someone on Twitter pointed out to me the other day that Bonnen was a Strauss protégé, so no one should be surprised at his actions.

My conclusion is that the GOP in Texas is following the national GOP into self-immolation. Democrats want power, and know how to use it. Republicans want power, but either don’t know how to use it, or are afraid of doing so. That kind of self-restraint is suicidal when the other side has no such restraint.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:18 am Someone on Twitter pointed out to me the other day that Bonnen was a Strauss protégé, so no one should be surprised at his actions.

My conclusion is that the GOP in Texas is following the national GOP into self-immolation. Democrats want power, and know how to use it. Republicans want power, but either don’t know how to use it, or are afraid of doing so. That kind of self-restraint is suicidal when the other side has no such restraint.
:iagree: One of the reps last night made that some point

A comment by another poster suggested that he would never vote for a Democrat. While "never" is a term that I try to use sparingly (because circumstances may change radically), I have to agree with that, too. The unfortunate part is that there are many Conservatives who feel the same way and stay home since they have "nevered" themselves into a corner of not being able to vote for anyone. I think that is the gravest risk out of what just happened in this legislative session. it underscores the apathy that many feel because nothing seems to change. I've been very active this year in supporting and opposing specific bills, traveling to Austin periodically and calling my own reps as well as the members of committees who were handling those bills. I know that we made some (a little) difference on some of those bills but didn't move the needle at all on others. The group that I was with last night had many others who were as active or more so that I've been and are greatly disappointed in the results. When you put that much time and effort into it in such numbers and still have nothing to show for it, I can easily understand (but don't agree with) those who say that their vote is a waste of time. I attended a number of hearings, too. It takes a lot of will power to keep going back after you hear what happens in some of those.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

jason812

Post by jason812 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:18 am Someone on Twitter pointed out to me the other day that Bonnen was a Strauss protégé, so no one should be surprised at his actions.

I don't know if the GOP want's power. I think they want money and the prestige of being an elected official. They know how to play the victim to fund raise but once they get in power they don't know what to do because they really don't want to be responsible for anything. How many times did we hear during Obummer's terms that if they had more money to campaign they could win back the House and the GOP just needed the House? We gave them the House but then it was the GOP needs the Senate too. We gave them the Senate. Then it was well we need the Whitehouse and the GOP can really turn things around and do good for the people. We gave them the presidency and now the GOP is acting like they don't know what to do. Or it's the GOP needs 60 senator excuse.

In TX the GOP has a vast majority in the government and holds most if not all statewide offices. They got absolutely nothing done this time around except make it 21 for you to buy a pack of smokes. Don't get me started about the lack of property tax reform. There is no excuse in TX for the GOP not to have it's goals accomplished other than they really don't care. I have lost all faith in the GOP. From the dog catcher, governor, state congressmen, and our federal congressmen.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Here is Mrs. Seth's website. http://rhondaseth.com/index.php

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”