Ask Amy...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Ask Amy...

Post by The Annoyed Man »

This is the dumbest letter to an advice column I’ve ever read, and the columnist's answer just doubles down on the stupid.

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/ ... ccc2c.html
Ask Amy: My daughter lives with me and owns a gun. Can I kick her out?
Dear Amy: This week, I discovered that my intelligent, hard-working, responsible 24-year-old daughter (who lives with me) is a gun owner! And it’s not a normal gun, either — it is a 40-caliber semi-automatic, and she has hollow-point bullets to go with it.

Amy, this is the kind of weapon a criminal would possess!

Dumbfounded Father

Dear Dumbfounded: According to my research, possessing hollow-point bullets is illegal in 11 states; is it legal in your state to own this sort of exploding ammunition?
It just goes downhill from there. It’s so stupid, that I almost think it’s a parody....but apparently it’s not. These idiots are serious.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MaduroBU

Re: Ask Amy...

Post by MaduroBU »

Hoplophobia is a real thing.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Hollowpoints explode? Since when? And though I'm not an "old guy" quite yet, I'm certainly no spring chicken, either. Is it just sheer luck that I haven't died from owning firearms for decades now? And then there is blindly believing that the number of households which own firearms has gone down, instead of people simply not admitting that they own firearms. Their statements are dumber than the proverbial box of rocks, which makes those two willfully ignorant in the extreme. :banghead:

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

No mention of the EMP when the hollowpoints rounds hit the target?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Evidently, his intelligent, hard working, responsible, daughter was adopted. Since he does not appear to be any of those things. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Evidently, his intelligent, hard working, responsible, daughter was adopted. Since he does not appear to be any of those things. :mrgreen:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

:iagree:

That statement was so true it needed a three-peat. ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

No comment section? I was really looking forward to reading those. Or adding one.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I am pretty surprised, for last 50 yrs with so many "toys". Darn, Guns are not toys... None of what she mentioned ever happened.
Wait a second, there are 30,000,000 million household with firearms. How many death because of the missuse or claimed accident.
Repeat after me, Guns are safer than cars. Ride a bus, Ride a bus (ala Uncle Joe)
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

"Now I have to lock my door because I don't know what she is going to do"
This is the ultimate in paranoia. Not trusting your daughter? Heck, I bought all 4 daughters their first handgun with hollowpoints. :biggrinjester:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

RPBrown wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:57 am "Now I have to lock my door because I don't know what she is going to do"
This is the ultimate in paranoia. Not trusting your daughter? Heck, I bought all 4 daughters their first handgun with hollowpoints. :biggrinjester:
I've never heard of this ask Amy person, but just reading through it, this sounds more like a left wing gun grabber, trying to drum up support for more gun control. I wouldn't be surprised if the letter writer, and advice columnist were not the same person.JMHO

aero10

Post by aero10 »

C-dub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:40 am No comment section? I was really looking forward to reading those. Or adding one.
Ask and ye shall receive. This one has a comment section.

https://www.al.com/life/2019/06/ask-amy ... house.html

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Jusme wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am
RPBrown wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:57 am "Now I have to lock my door because I don't know what she is going to do"
I've never heard of this ask Amy person, but just reading through it, this sounds more like a left wing gun grabber, trying to drum up support for more gun control. I wouldn't be surprised if the letter writer, and advice columnist were not the same person.JMHO
I used to read Ann Landers back in the good old days. I always thought it was weird to ask advice from a complete stranger, but it was good entertainment.
NRA Endowment Member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Where in the heck did she get that 7 States ban hollowpoints? I can only find one New Jersey!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:55 pm This is the dumbest letter to an advice column I’ve ever read, and the columnist's answer just doubles down on the stupid.

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/ ... ccc2c.html
Ask Amy: My daughter lives with me and owns a gun. Can I kick her out?
Dear Amy: This week, I discovered that my intelligent, hard-working, responsible 24-year-old daughter (who lives with me) is a gun owner! And it’s not a normal gun, either — it is a 40-caliber semi-automatic, and she has hollow-point bullets to go with it.

Amy, this is the kind of weapon a criminal would possess!

Dumbfounded Father

Dear Dumbfounded: According to my research, possessing hollow-point bullets is illegal in 11 states; is it legal in your state to own this sort of exploding ammunition?
It just goes downhill from there. It’s so stupid, that I almost think it’s a parody....but apparently it’s not. These idiots are serious.
Dear Dumb Father - Tell your daughter she can stay at your house if she gets rid of her exploding bullets and replaces them with the type that police use.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”