Overdose Suspect Is Revived By Narcan and Fatally Shoots Firefighter

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gamboolman
Posts in topic: 1

Overdose Suspect Is Revived By Narcan and Fatally Shoots Firefighter

Post by gamboolman »

Our daughter is a Paramedic and things like what happened here - worry me for her safety.

Excerpt from article:
"Body camera footage from a deadly officer-involved shooting has been released, giving insight into how an Appleton, Wisconsin firefighter was slain while attempting to provide care."

Looks to me like the Cops instincts were right - unfortunately, just not in time.

Prayers and condolences for the family of the slain Firefighter murdered by this thug.

https://lawofficer.com/news/video-overd ... refighter/
Last edited by gamboolman on Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

C-dub

Re: Overdose Suspect Is Revived By Narcan and Fatally Shoots Firefighter

Post by C-dub »

I wonder if the police would have been within their legal rights to search him before the paramedics revived him.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Rules prohibit me from calling this slug by the name I so want to use! :mad5
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

C-dub wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:50 am I wonder if the police would have been within their legal rights to search him before the paramedics revived him.
As a first responder the number 1 rule, heck 1 thru 10, is crew safety. An incapacitated person that you respond to falls under implied consent. You need no other justification for treatment or to justify searching the patient for any thing that has the potential to compromise safety. If the responder goes down there will be no care provided.
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Narcan should be banned. Incidents like this wouldn't happen, and the opioid/fentanyl crises would resolve itself. People who set out on a path of self-destruction should be allowed to reach their destination.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Liberty wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:59 pm Narcan should be banned. Incidents like this wouldn't happen, and the opioid/fentanyl crises would resolve itself. People who set out on a path of self-destruction should be allowed to reach their destination.
Right, cause everyone that is exposed to drugs deserves to die? Really? Check yourself. :totap:

https://www.pharmacentra.com/three-fact ... c-america/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Your suppose to give them just enough narcan to get their breathing up but not enough to bring them conscious, if you give them a full dose it brings them all the way up and they are mad as heck you robbed them of their high!
What we would do is put them on a backboard, strap them down good and then give them the full dose, they'd be very very very upset and their language would be very colorful!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

crazy2medic wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:52 pm Your suppose to give them just enough narcan to get their breathing up but not enough to bring them conscious, if you give them a full dose it brings them all the way up and they are mad as heck you robbed them of their high!
What we would do is put them on a backboard, strap them down good and then give them the full dose, they'd be very very very upset and their language would be very colorful!
Exactly. Secure the scene first! :tiphat:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

SRO1911 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:10 pm
Liberty wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:59 pm Narcan should be banned. Incidents like this wouldn't happen, and the opioid/fentanyl crises would resolve itself. People who set out on a path of self-destruction should be allowed to reach their destination.
So the mother of 3 grandmother of 7 great grandma of many whom I recently gave numerous doses of narcan should have been intubated - which is the best alternative to naloxone, and extremely traumatic and given her age and conditions probably permanent - because her dentist is an idiot and prescribed an opioid without considering the fact that she was on a fairly potent fentanyl patch for BONE CANCER?

As EMS, we don't have the luxury of judgement - there are only 2 categories, too dead and not too dead. Our job is to make sure not too dead stays that way. Everyone is someone's child, is someone's husband\wife\girlfriend\boyfriend - it doesn't matter.

I absolutely support expanding the death penalty beyond just capital murder - pedophiles, rapists, child abusers and telemarketers among others deserve the gallows as an option - but I'll be dam**d if EMS gets to be judge, jury, and Executioner.
Great post sir.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

:iagree:
anygunanywhere wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:54 pm
SRO1911 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:10 pm
So the mother of 3 grandmother of 7 great grandma of many whom I recently gave numerous doses of narcan should have been intubated - which is the best alternative to naloxone, and extremely traumatic and given her age and conditions probably permanent - because her dentist is an idiot and prescribed an opioid without considering the fact that she was on a fairly potent fentanyl patch for BONE CANCER?

As EMS, we don't have the luxury of judgement - there are only 2 categories, too dead and not too dead. Our job is to make sure not too dead stays that way. Everyone is someone's child, is someone's husband\wife\girlfriend\boyfriend - it doesn't matter.

I absolutely support expanding the death penalty beyond just capital murder - pedophiles, rapists, child abusers and telemarketers among others deserve the gallows as an option - but I'll be dam**d if EMS gets to be judge, jury, and Executioner.
Great post sir.
:iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

My condolences to those who were harmed by Ruben Houston's actions. The fact that needle usage is so common in these cases complicates the search for weapons. Looks like Houston was willing to kill to stay out of jail.

I am glad that the officers were able respond effectively and stop Houston. :tiphat:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

It is just tragic, unfortunately they will continue to happen. We make mistakes that cost us because we are human.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

:fire First I'm truly sorry for the family of the victim, but narcan is used way to much now days. It takes a LOT more drugs then you think to O.D. 90% of the time the person will wake up in about 6 to 12 hours. You won't be able to wake them and thats why people panic and call 911, if not we'll it was their choice. :banghead:
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Return to “The Crime Blotter”