Denied CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Cam2
Posts in topic: 4

Denied CHL

Post by Cam2 »

I applied for a license in March of this year. On the application I told the truth. I was in a rehab at 20 years old. I am now 51 and have been 100% clean from drugs since 20. I have not drank a drop of alcohol in over 5 years. When I did drink it was no more than one. I have 30 year old daughter who has never seen me drink a drop. I have never been arrested and no tickets in years. But they denied me and say I need a psychiatrist to evaluate me. I would play this game if it did not cost $1000 for the evaluation. What are my options?

Topic author
Cam2

Re: Denied CHL

Post by Cam2 »

One more thing I am a retired business owner. Who now works in middle management at a fortune 100 company. This makes no sense.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

Insurance Maybe? Shop around?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

They denied you because you were in rehab 30 years ago? That does sound weird.

infoman

Post by infoman »

They didn’t “Deny” you, your app got sent to MAB, & by standard protocol they need a letter from a shrink to recommend you have an LTC. They do this pretty much for any person that lists anything psychiatric on their app.

Topic author
Cam2

Post by Cam2 »

I get it if it wAs 5 or 10 years ago. But 31 that seems a bit crazy.

No pun intended, lol

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Cam2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:21 pm I get it if it wAs 5 or 10 years ago. But 31 that seems a bit crazy.

No pun intended, lol
I wonder how you are suppose to beat that deal? Are you suppose to get a psychiatrist to tell them you are not off your rocker?

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

FYI A Neurologist also has to be a psychiatrist, if you see a Neurologist for migraines and such that would be an option!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:09 pm
Cam2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:21 pm I get it if it wAs 5 or 10 years ago. But 31 that seems a bit crazy.

No pun intended, lol
I wonder how you are suppose to beat that deal? Are you suppose to get a psychiatrist to tell them you are not off your rocker?
What’s REALLY crazy, if I may borrow Cam2's pun, is that they send you to someone who is financially vested in keeping you as a patient, and who may very well be anti gun—as are probably the majority of psychiatrists.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

crazy2medic wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:37 pm FYI A Neurologist also has to be a psychiatrist, if you see a Neurologist for migraines and such that would be an option!
Are you sure about that? I don’t believe a neurologist can sign off on a psychiatric disorder.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

crazy2medic wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:37 pm FYI A Neurologist also has to be a psychiatrist, if you see a Neurologist for migraines and such that would be an option!
Not so. A neurologist has to be an MD or a DO. A psychiatrist had to be an MD or a DO. But a neurologist does not have to be a psychiatrist (or visa versa). They are two completely different specialties.

A neurologist is concerned with the body's entire nervous system. I’ve had neurological consults before I had my back surgery because I had numbness in my legs.

A psychiatrist is concerned with the biochemistry of the brain and it’s effects on human behavior.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Cam2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:20 pm I applied for a license in March of this year. On the application I told the truth. I was in a rehab at 20 years old. I am now 51 and have been 100% clean from drugs since 20. I have not drank a drop of alcohol in over 5 years. When I did drink it was no more than one. I have 30 year old daughter who has never seen me drink a drop. I have never been arrested and no tickets in years. But they denied me and say I need a psychiatrist to evaluate me. I would play this game if it did not cost $1000 for the evaluation. What are my options?

You might try the Virginia license instead you can do it all online, but everyone can learn from this never give out more info then needed expecially if it's been past 7 years.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Many psychiatrists refuse to provide any documents for CHLs.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:14 pm
Not so. A neurologist has to be an MD or a DO. A psychiatrist had to be an MD or a DO. But a neurologist does not have to be a psychiatrist (or visa versa). They are two completely different specialties.

A neurologist is concerned with the body's entire nervous system. I’ve had neurological consults before I had my back surgery because I had numbness in my legs.

A psychiatrist is concerned with the biochemistry of the brain and it’s effects on human behavior.
I worked for a Neurologist for four years, I was told by him that in Texas in order to be a Neurologist he also had to be a pyschiatrist
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

There is also the issue of medical coding restrictions. I don't go to the doctor often because I am rarely sick. On those rare occasions when I am there, sometimes I say, "While we are at it..." and I try to broach some additional minor issue, to kill two birds with one stone. Invariably I'm told, "You have to make a separate appointment for that." In other words, pony up a separate massive co-pay.

So if the poster attempts to get around the fee by making a migraine appointment, that might be the resistance that he faces.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”