GA: Athens Body camera video released

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Frankie
Posts in topic: 1

GA: Athens Body camera video released

Post by Frankie »

I don’t know what Mr Hong’s issues were but he was determined to be killed by police.

If the second officer hadn’t been there, this would could have turned out real bad for officer #1.

Lesson learned, reload and stay in the fight. The bad guy you just shot might not be done!

WARNING, GRAPHIC VIDEOS IN THIS LINK.
https://www.classiccitynews.com/post/po ... r-shooting

03Lightningrocks

Re: GA: Athens Body camera video released

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Wow! That video was intense. It was amazing the officers gave him so much opportunity to drop the knife. That guy wanted to die.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

The man was obviously so disturbed that he preferred death by cop rather than seeking help. The officers' showed great restraint until they were required to stop the threat with deadly force. I'm glad the officers weren't injured in this deadly confrontation.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Rob72 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:17 am
joe817 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:03 pm The man was obviously so disturbed that he preferred death by cop rather than seeking help. The officers' showed great restraint until they were required to stop the threat with deadly force. I'm glad the officers weren't injured in this deadly confrontation.
I can understand it in this political climate, but it was horribly poor decision making:

1) retreated until the "backstop" was responding Fire & EMS personnel
2) did not advance and incapacitate, once the perpetrator had been shot
3) by a mindset of "render aid," personnel involved created a crossfire box, in which there were no clear fields of fire
:iagree: I kept thinking while watching "how far are you going to retreat before stopping this guy?" The first officer who fired is very lucky the second officer did not hit him while shooting the suspect as he wrestled with the first officer.
Would be interesting to know where the suspect was hit by the first officer's shots and how many hits there were.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

That was exciting.

A little more info: https://www.classiccitynews.com/post/ht ... bc8b85-edi
USAF 1982-2005

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Although some LEO's may become "overly aggressive" in some citizen's opinions, I believe that the officer who was grabbed by the BG was way too trusting that the initial shots had eliminated the threat. To the point that he had actually re-holstered his sidearm. Wow!

Although the BG didn't get the pistol, he could have stabbed the officer if he still had the knife in his possession (I'm not sure if he still had it or not).

Officer #2 appeared to give the BG a head shot, when the BG's head was in close proximity to his partner's head. Double wow!

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:06 pm
Although the BG didn't get the pistol, he could have stabbed the officer if he still had the knife in his possession (I'm not sure if he still had it or not).

He did not still have it. On Officer #2's bodycam, you can see Officer #1 looking down at the knife on the ground after shooting the suspect the first time. He makes a kicking motion to try and clear it behind him. That is more than likely we he did not shoot the suspect again when he charged him a second time.
Psalm 91:2

ELB

Post by ELB »

Hmmm. I carry two knives. Just sayin'.
USAF 1982-2005

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Sure but as far as the officer could tell, he no longer had one in his hands (and he didn't). I don't fault Officer #1 for not shooting a second time.

Perhaps this video showed why retreating extensively is a bad thing. Control of the situation deteriorated into a wrestling match and two different shootings in the middle of what is normally a busy street. The second shooting was close to a blue on blue incident too.

Hate to say it but if they had held their ground in the parking lot and neutralized the suspect then, there would have been a lot fewer people put at risk and the officers would have maintained a better tactical positioning.

Active Self Protection analysis:

Psalm 91:2

Return to “The Crime Blotter”