The city of Southmayd.

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bubba84
Posts in topic: 15

Re: The city of Southmayd.

Post by bubba84 »

Captain Ferguson with the AG’s office has confirmed receipt of the complaint, the proof the city was notified, and the photos. An assistant AG is reviewing.

DynamicDan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DynamicDan »

I think if a government entity wants to post signs they should do the proper research before they post them. Then these situations would never happen.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

DynamicDan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:33 pm I think if a government entity wants to post signs they should do the proper research before they post them. Then these situations would never happen.
I like to go a step further, city submits a layout of the building to be posted along with photos, and the State decides if the building can be posted or what area of the building can be posted, the State issues the proper number of signs, bills the city $100 per sign and the city must renew every four years, must resubmit plans and photos following any remodelling!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Jusme
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jusme »

crazy2medic wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:01 am
DynamicDan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:33 pm I think if a government entity wants to post signs they should do the proper research before they post them. Then these situations would never happen.
I like to go a step further, city submits a layout of the building to be posted along with photos, and the State decides if the building can be posted or what area of the building can be posted, the State issues the proper number of signs, bills the city $100 per sign and the city must renew every four years, must resubmit plans and photos following any remodelling!
Very similar to what any entity, that wants to be permitted by the TABC must do. I think something like this could work. It would avoid, having to go through the hassles of having the AG office investigating complaints, the city/county would have documentation showing that they are in compliance, and tax payer funded lawsuits could be avoided.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

Exactly! :thumbs2: :txflag:
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
bubba84

Post by bubba84 »

Received my copy of the letter that was sent to Mayor Turner from the asst AG looking into the issue.

I also made a FOIA request for any and all communications pertaining to the 30.06/30.07 signs after my notice to the city on 6/24. They have 79 pages of communications to give to me. Will gladly head to the city and pay $7.90 for them on friday.

Topic author
bubba84

Post by bubba84 »

I have picked up the open records request of all the internal communications from the city of southmayd pertaining to my complaint.

Numerous times the mayor uses the term “make them jump through all the hoops” in regards to me getting the AG involved.

Also theres communication that the signs were voluntarily taken down by someone and he ordered them to be put back up.

Its clear in the emails they are contacting numerous judges, the Grayson co DA, and attorneys to try and get anything they can to keep them up.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

Interesting. I've been close to Southmayd, but don't think I have ever actually be in the city. I was born in Sherman and started school at Wakefield Elementary. Left and came back for college at GCC.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

bubba84 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:16 am I have picked up the open records request of all the internal communications from the city of southmayd pertaining to my complaint.

Numerous times the mayor uses the term “make them jump through all the hoops” in regards to me getting the AG involved.

Also theres communication that the signs were voluntarily taken down by someone and he ordered them to be put back up.

Its clear in the emails they are contacting numerous judges, the Grayson co DA, and attorneys to try and get anything they can to keep them up.
Sending all that to the AG's office?

Topic author
bubba84

Post by bubba84 »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:43 pm
bubba84 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:16 am I have picked up the open records request of all the internal communications from the city of southmayd pertaining to my complaint.

Sending all that to the AG's office?

No need, the law is clear and they are in violation.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

mrdavidturner wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 pm Please remember this when contacting other cities with education on your causes in the future. “1. Don’t rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father, younger men as brothers, 2. older women as mothers, and the younger women as sisters with all purity.” (1 Timothy 5:1-2; CSB).
Mr. Turner,

You admitted that you had "dug in your heels" on this issue due to not liking the way the OP communicated with you. You also quoted scripture to support your actions, then pretty much admonished anyone else who is a member of this forum to handle things differently in the future. But with all due respect to you as an elected official, I would suggest that your personal feelings have nothing to do with what the law says. And if you are going to justify yourself with scripture, please consider this.

But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. Matthew 6:15 KJV

As an elected official, you took an oath to uphold the law. Whether or not you agree with that law is irrelevant. I don't agree with the seat belt law. But I paid a fine recently for violating it. Your obligation and duty to your city and the office you hold far outweighs whatever personal feelings you have on this issue. And to let your judgement be clouded by your feelings toward the OP does your city no service.

I am not a lawyer, and I wouldn't dare give you advice on the subject of restricting guns in your city hall. However, the legislature of the State of Texas took up the issue and passed laws that we all must follow. The members of this forum were happy that municipalities and county governments now have laws to follow that are uniform statewide. In the early months after that change, many city and county governments tried to buck the law and make their own rules that violated that law. Because of those actions, anyone who has an LTC and knows the law is sensitive about this subject.

If you search this forum you will find many threads regarding cities and counties trying to impose their will in violation of what is now Texas law. You will also get a feel for how many here feel about the infringement of their rights concerning legally carrying a gun for protection. Having to disarm and leave your weapon in a vehicle to conduct city business is not only a nuisance, but distasteful.

If you have not joined the over one million Texans who have gone through the background checks, attended the class, and paid the fee to obtain their LTC, and who peacefully interact with other citizens of this state while armed, you probably cannot comprehend what I am trying to tell you. It has already been pointed out that we commit less crimes per capita than law enforcement. You, nor your city's staff, have anything to fear from us. And we are the only ones the signs have any meaning for.

I sincerely wish you the best. And if we ever meet, I'll buy the coffee. But please don't admonish us with scripture. Most of us here are active in our churches. We carry in church, and we would defend everyone there against any threat, just the same as we would defend the staff inside your city hall.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
bubba84

Post by bubba84 »

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

Common sense would tell us this. If you enjoy using firearms you are not going to do anything to jeopardize your ability to possess them.

Topic author
bubba84

Post by bubba84 »

ImageDon’t fret...southnayd isnt the only one.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”