Dentist and Nitrus Oxide

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Dentist and Nitrus Oxide

Post by Tex1961 »

So,

You're carrying at the Dentist office... You need work done and he gives you laughing gas...... Are you now under the influence and technically afoul of the law....

This question wasn't my fault... My brain came up with it all on it's own....

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dentist and Nitrus Oxide

Post by Liberty »

You would be definitely under the influence. I'm not sure if practically it would be dangerous, but the dental office would have reason to be concerned.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I beg to differ on the "not my fault" aspect. If you are going to have any type of medical procedure done, you should inquire about the use of drugs that could influence or impair your judgment, and plan accordingly (i.e. not carry).

Besides, every dentist I have ever been to offers the gas an option that you can decline in favor of a localized shot instead.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:50 am I beg to differ on the "not my fault" aspect. If you are going to have any type of medical procedure done, you should inquire about the use of drugs that could influence or impair your judgment, and plan accordingly (i.e. not carry).

Besides, every dentist I have ever been to offers the gas an option that you can decline in favor of a localized shot instead.
The not my fault was just a silly sentence..... Not really part of the question..... I was just driving and for some reason the thought came into my brain.. My opinion is that you would be under the influence, plus if I knew I was getting any sort of dental work done I wouldn't be carrying anyway...

Really just a Friday thought to post.....

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

"Nitrous".... just sayin'.... :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

LDP wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:20 am Agreed, you'd be in violation if under influence of any regulated or illegal substance.
FWIW, that's why medical and dental offices often post 06 and 07 signs. It is logical for their practice.
Agreed, BUT... Funny enough, mine doesn't have anything posted... Frankly I was surprised....

rotor

Post by rotor »

You might ask if it was legal to carry while you were asleep. Nitrous is out of your system so fast that I don’t think it is a problem. The other issue that I ask, is it “safe” to let a dentist give nitrous? I don’t let anyone put me under unless it’s a CRNA or anesthesiologists.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

When I know that I will become incapacitated, as for a medical procedure, my wife or some other license holder will be there to secure my self-defense tool.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Technically while under nitrous oxide you would likely be impaired and meet the legal definition of intoxicated. You have to meet the legal definition under penal code 49.01(2)(A), which is the definition for intoxicated for impairment.
Sec. 49.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(2) "Intoxicated" means:

(A) not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or

(B) having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.
So, best to leave your gun in the vehicle while having the work done. The effects of nitrous goes away very quickly, and when they release you to drive you should not be to the level of impairment that would meet the legal definition IMO.

NOTE: I am not a lawyer and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

LDP wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:46 pm
rotor wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:56 am The other issue that I ask, is it “safe” to let a dentist give nitrous? I don’t let anyone put me under unless it’s a CRNA or anesthesiologists.
Same here. Unless we're talking full tooth extraction, I do not let my dentist give me any anesthetic, whether gas or local. Drill away. Do your job right, don't hit a herve and we'll remain friends. :mrgreen:

Same for small surgical procedures. A surgical center once wanted to put me fully under for a small incision on my hand. The nurses were freaking out when I politely declined. They called the surgeon who showed up, took just one look at me, uttered something like "Oh yeah, HIM? Hah! He's alright, don't worry about it, he'll be just fine with local" and walked away, leaving the nurses still puzzled and uncomfortable.
Just for some extra egging on (I am sure y'all are starting to see a pattern), when the nurse mentioned I'll need to schedule an appointment to remove the stitches, I replied "No need, I remove them myself, no biggie". She about fainted.
:smilelol5:

Btw, he's my favorite surgeon. Plays rock in the OR, chats with me about motorcycles or other guy stuff while slicing & dicing, cool dude. We had a funny exchange on the OR table:
Surgeon: "You signed the form that you have a designated driver to take you home since you can't drive yourself, right?"
Me: "Sure."
Surgeon: "You didn't bring the Harley today, didja?"
Me: *sigh* "No, not when you're slicing my hand like that. Brought the truck instead."
Surgeon: "You had me worried there for a second."
Nurse: *utterly puzzled look*

Good guys are hard to find nowadays but there are still some out there.
Sorry for the thread drift.
I won't even talk about the really bad humor and puns I had with the staff when I was about to go under for my colonoscopy.... Let's just say I went under still laughing.....

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

You would be under the influence however Nitrous Oxide has a very short half life. In which means it wears off really quick plus to my knowledge unless it's a autopsy report they don't check for that in any other drug test. If you feel euphoria afterwords just don't carry you could make a poor judgement then there might be a paper trail back to the dentist office. Evidence will always be used against you in any way possible this day and age.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I don't carry in my dentist's office, I have had nitrous oxide three or four times and never was subconscious or feeling intoxicated or euphoric.
The worse I ever did was chuckle at a pretty lame joke that the dentist told me. After they turned off the gas, I was out of the chair and driving home within 5 minutes.
Maybe they aren't giving me enough.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”