No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

<The link I initially provided does not work, so I removed it and altered the text below>

An article from the Dallas Morning News' "Watchdog" reporter Dave Lieber, dated 7/21/19, details Texas drivers license data.
The article appears to reside behind a pay wall, and I could not find an alternative way to link to the story.

If you don't have a star in a circle in the upper right corner of your Texas drivers License, your DL will not allow you to board an aircraft after October 1, 2020. The reason relates to the federal REAL ID act.

If your license doesn't contain this star, it is likely that your DL was issued before 2016.

The article goes on to bemoan the terribly understaffing of the DL process across Texas. One example is that DPS opened up a gigantic DL office in Garland (Dallas County), but the wait times are terrible.

In the City of Denton, the DPS license office on Loop 288 is super tiny, and has been this way for decades, even though the Denton County population explosion has been going on for years.

If you don't have a star on your DL, you can get an updated DL anytime within 2 years of your current expiration. Given the long wait times, you may wish to put this on your "to do" list.

SIA
Last edited by surprise_i'm_armed on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

narcissist
Posts in topic: 1

Re: No star in upper right corner of your DL? Problems after 10/1/2020.

Post by narcissist »

It's mainly for the facial recognition software.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

It's not a big deal if you have a passport or passport card. I don't show the TSA guys an ID that has my address on it. They know you're out of town, your home is vulnerable
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

Liberty wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:47 pm It's not a big deal if you have a passport or passport card. I don't show the TSA guys an ID that has my address on it. They know you're out of town, your home is vulnerable
Passport is the way. I agree.
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I and my dependents have DOD issued ID.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I have no star in the upper right hand corner or my DL. It was renewed in 2016 and isn't due for renewal until 2022. MY LTC also does not have a start in the upper right hand corner.

That link does not go to any article for me.

I need to renew my passport anyway, so maybe it's a moot point for me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grayling813 »

Federal Real ID Act - shows example of new TX DL
https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense ... lIdAct.htm

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

For DOD ID, I was denied in Atlanta. DOD ID had expiration date as "Indefinite" and TSA dude told me that was not allowed and must be a government issued ID with an expiration date. Things got terse for a few minutes when I pulled my Texas LTC, but that is another funny story. Finally accepted my TX DL. That is the only place my DOD ID has been denied.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:01 pm I have no star in the upper right hand corner or my DL. It was renewed in 2016 and isn't due for renewal until 2022. MY LTC also does not have a start in the upper right hand corner.

That link does not go to any article for me.

I need to renew my passport anyway, so maybe it's a moot point for me.
You can request a new copy of your current license, so long as you’re more than 2 years from renewal. Maybe the new one will have the star.
R
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grayling813 »

My TX DL was issued in May, 2016 before DPS started issuing REALID compliant licenses. It doesn’t expire until 2023, so according to DPS website the October 2020 deadline will be more than 2 years before my expiration, leaving me unable to have a federally approved form of ID for boarding aircraft.
Hopefully there will be an expansion of the allowed 2 year time to renew for people caught between the dates like I am.
Yeah, I know I can get a passport....

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

Here is what it looks like

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

LDP wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 pm TSA never ceases to amaze with their level of stupidity.
How they have the legal power to refuse a VALID and REAL ID is beyond me. I guess everybody needs a star on their ID, like in schools nowadays. It's the participation trophy of today. *shrug*
I guess you mean stupidity of Congress as they created the law. But they (dems) want to ban voter ID.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

LDP wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:59 pm
rotor wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:38 pm
LDP wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:29 pm TSA never ceases to amaze with their level of stupidity.
How they have the legal power to refuse a VALID and REAL ID is beyond me. I guess everybody needs a star on their ID, like in schools nowadays. It's the participation trophy of today. *shrug*
I guess you mean stupidity of Congress as they created the law. But they (dems) want to ban voter ID.
My mistake. I misunderstood, I thought it was TSA refusing to acknowledge the "outdated" IDs. As long as it is valid, I don't see a problem.
I do not understand how rules, regulations and laws like these can pass, without anybody applying basic common sense.
The better question is "why does TSA require your ID to match your boarding pass?". If the point is to prevent folks on the no fly list from getting past them, then there is no need to ensure that your ticket matches your name. Personally, I think the point is to help safeguard the revenue of the airlines by preventing folks from re-selling tickets they can't use (and where the airline gladly resells the same seat to someone on the standby list for that flight).

Yes, I know its a condition of the transaction I entered into with the airline, but I'd prefer that my employees at the TSA focus on security, first and foremost.

I have the same concerns about TSA employees enforcing carry-on bag size restrictions which happens at some airports.

Return to “Off-Topic”