CHL Insurance...Which Do I Choose?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Stick_Shift
Posts in topic: 3

CHL Insurance...Which Do I Choose?

Post by Stick_Shift »

I've determined that I am going to carry liability insurance. It just seems smart and prudent to do so, even if I live in a state that is relatively friendly to CHL holders. I am an NRA member, so I've heard about Carry Guard, and USCCA seems to have a pretty good option as well for $30/mo. Does anyone have either one and can you tell me the pros and cons of carrying either?

Thanks for all the advice I've gotten so far. This forum is a wealth of information.
A little luck and a little government is necessary to get along in life, but only a fool trusts either one. - PJ O’Rourke

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL Insurance...Which Do I Choose?

Post by Grayling813 »

Stick_Shift wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:44 am I've determined that I am going to carry liability insurance. It just seems smart and prudent to do so, even if I live in a state that is relatively friendly to CHL holders. I am an NRA member, so I've heard about Carry Guard, and USCCA seems to have a pretty good option as well for $30/mo. Does anyone have either one and can you tell me the pros and cons of carrying either?

Thanks for all the advice I've gotten so far. This forum is a wealth of information.
It appears the NRA Carry Guard is no longer insurance, just offers training and "resources." I haven't seen an official announcement from the NRA though a couple of articles I've run across said the insurance portion of Carry Guard is no longer being offered.
Last edited by Grayling813 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The product I think you are looking for is commonly misidentified as "insurance." It is more correctly characterized as pre-paid legal services. There are several good services available. They are so different that an apples-to-apples comparison is not readily possible. All of the carriers in my extended family are members of https://www.uslawshield.com/. Others for which I have hear good recommendations include: Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, USCCA, Firearms Legal Protection. You will have to do your own due diligence to see which benefits matter most to you.

For all practical purposes, Carry Guard "insurance" is dead. Attorney Andrew Branca (Law of Self Defense) explains in this YouTube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DKGd6fruOA

In this YouTube video, John Lovell (Warrior Poet Society) interviews attorney Andrew Branca (Law of Self Defense) on the topic of self defense coverage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wilf_R5wlNQ
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Stick_Shift

Post by Stick_Shift »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:59 am It appears the NRA Carry Guard is no longer insurance, just offers training and "resources." I haven't seen an official announcement from the NRA though a couple of articles I've run across said the insurance portion of Carry Guard is no longer being offered.
Well, that makes the decision easy. USCCA it is, then.
A little luck and a little government is necessary to get along in life, but only a fool trusts either one. - PJ O’Rourke

narcissist
Posts in topic: 4

Post by narcissist »

Glad you brought this to everyone's attention, not a lot of people realize how much money In legal fees alone it will cost in a self defense murder case. 99% of the time you will be charged. Unless you wear a body cam at all times or the incident was captured on video somehow its your word and evidence against a D.A. that can and will twist the truth to which he/she has no boundaries. That conviction rate is all that matters to them in most cases.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

narcissist wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 pm Glad you brought this to everyone's attention, not a lot of people realize how much money In legal fees alone it will cost in a self defense murder case. 99% of the time you will be charged. Unless you wear a body cam at all times or the incident was captured on video somehow its your word and evidence against a D.A. that can and will twist the truth to which he/she has no boundaries. That conviction rate is all that matters to them in most cases.
What’s your source that shows 99% of the time you will be charged?

Topic author
Stick_Shift

Post by Stick_Shift »

mrvmax wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:41 pm
narcissist wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 pm Glad you brought this to everyone's attention, not a lot of people realize how much money In legal fees alone it will cost in a self defense murder case. 99% of the time you will be charged. Unless you wear a body cam at all times or the incident was captured on video somehow its your word and evidence against a D.A. that can and will twist the truth to which he/she has no boundaries. That conviction rate is all that matters to them in most cases.
Yeah, I’m with you, I suspect it’s less than that somehow. But I’m not taking any chances.

Jay2121
Banned

Post by Jay2121 »

I like CCW Safe. The coverage, in my research and opinion, appears to be more comprehensive than all the others I have looked at.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Stick_Shift wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:53 pm
Yeah, I’m with you, I suspect it’s less than that somehow. But I’m not taking any chances.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Glad you got the point I was trying to make, good to see some people have common sense still.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

narcissist wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:15 pm
Glad you got the point I was trying to make, good to see some people have common sense still.
It had nothing to do with common sense, the issue is that you made statements blatantly incorrect and misleading. You made statements as if they were fact so don’t put the blame on those of us who know better.

MP(Ret)95B

Post by MP(Ret)95B »

CCW Safe here also.
Like their coverage and professionalism when I have contacted them.
<Padre>

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

oljames3 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:02 pm The product I think you are looking for is commonly misidentified as "insurance." It is more correctly characterized as pre-paid legal services. There are several good services available. They are so different that an apples-to-apples comparison is not readily possible. All of the carriers in my extended family are members of https://www.uslawshield.com/. Others for which I have hear good recommendations include: Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, USCCA, Firearms Legal Protection. You will have to do your own due diligence to see which benefits matter most to you.

For all practical purposes, Carry Guard "insurance" is dead. Attorney Andrew Branca (Law of Self Defense) explains in this YouTube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DKGd6fruOA

In this YouTube video, John Lovell (Warrior Poet Society) interviews attorney Andrew Branca (Law of Self Defense) on the topic of self defense coverage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wilf_R5wlNQ
Thanks for those videos. I note that Branca has his coverage with the same organisation I am with, so maybe I did make a good choice two years ago.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

Return to “New to CHL?”