Auto Cad

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 7

Auto Cad

Post by Killadocg23 »

Any body in th AutoCad/drafting field. Was just looking at picking up another trade and I can eat a certificate in it with just three classes. Just curious if it’s even worth it.

montgomery
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Auto Cad

Post by montgomery »

Killadocg23 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:14 pm Any body in th AutoCad/drafting field. Was just looking at picking up another trade and I can eat a certificate in it with just three classes. Just curious if it’s even worth it.
Unless you are doing electrical schematics, consider learning parametric and relational solid modeling - SolidWorks is easy to learn, a marketable skill, and the software cost does not break the bank. I have not seen AutoCad used regularly since 1990.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

montgomery wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:54 pm
Killadocg23 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:14 pm Any body in th AutoCad/drafting field. Was just looking at picking up another trade and I can eat a certificate in it with just three classes. Just curious if it’s even worth it.
Unless you are doing electrical schematics, consider learning parametric and relational solid modeling - SolidWorks is easy to learn, a marketable skill, and the software cost does not break the bank. I have not seen AutoCad used regularly since 1990.
I worked with it in the mid 90's as a draftsman for a furniture factory. The last version I worked with was version 12. I really enjoyed the work, but there's no way I could live on the salary of a draftsman. The pay was very weak.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

montgomery wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:54 pm
My BIL was a design engineer with Peterbuilt. AutoCad was used extensively. I also will scan openings in Constuction related fields. Experience with AutoCad is often listed as a requirement, or at the very least a plus.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

From what I have observed [NASA, DOD and Offshore work] is that the people using the software do some/or most of the design work, not just the drawing portion.
As another person pointed out I think Solid Works is used more than AutoCad. All in all, it's a good set of skills to have. even if it just teaches you how to read a drawing.
Knowledge /a class in GD&T is also a useful skill.
NRA Endowment Member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

A friend who was an Electrical/Mechanical Endineer died recently of Cancer. My friends AutoCad man was in very high demand from other Engineering offices.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Rivit is the new in demand drafting/modeling software.
It is made by Autocad.

You create a 3d model and with some button clicks, the program creates the 2d drawings you would normally draw a line at a time.

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Thank you gents. I just found it Interesting. I spoke to a few of my buddies who suggest just getting a certificate in auto cad. One has about 7 years experience and no degree what so ever and make 35 an hour here in corpus drawing piping for the refineries. Another buddy works in Austin at an engineering firm and make about 70k or so. They aware telling me to jump on the train. I did a bit of technical drawing in school as well.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

My wife doesn't use AutoCad, but she does do 3D CAD design of jewelry in her shop here in Houston. It has really upped her game a lot - and her business is booming because of it.
I say this because there are more uses to CAD than just the ones mentioned above. It's a marketable skill that can (with a bit of practice) be applied across a number of industries.
3D printing is getting bigger and bigger these days. How are those models built? In 3D CAD software packages!

I'd say, "yes", if three classes can get you a cert, then it can't be bad for your resume. And, if you think a bit broader, you might find yourself in a whole new industry.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

My friend has no formal education. However, he has 30 years of practical experience.

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

I really appreciate the replies gentleman , I really do ! Happy shooting and God bless you all !

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Killadocg23 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:40 pm Thank you gents. I just found it Interesting. I spoke to a few of my buddies who suggest just getting a certificate in auto cad. One has about 7 years experience and no degree what so ever and make 35 an hour here in corpus drawing piping for the refineries. Another buddy works in Austin at an engineering firm and make about 70k or so. They are telling me to jump on the train. I did a bit of technical drawing in school as well.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

In my previous line of work, we used AutoCad for facility layout. It was handy for laying out work cells, keeping track of where the over head cranes traveled, and knowing what we had to move for new equipment.

Creo (formally ProE) was what was used for product development, fixture design, prints, and making 3D models.

Esprit was used for programming the machining centers and the Creo models were imported for this.

What software a company uses and what you are experienced in using will play a role in where you can end up working. I always said if you can use one, you can figure the others out.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My son is a CNC Machine programmer, and uses CAD all the time. It’s a valuable skill set to have, particularly if you can output your work into machine code, and know how to edit the code directly if need be. But I doubt you can get beyond the basics in just 3 days.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Thanks a lot gents !

Return to “Job Board”