Help Finding Night Pig Hunt

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Help Finding Night Pig Hunt

Post by oohrah »

Went on one hunt three years ago, but didn't make the arrangements. Now I'd like to find a place within 100 miles or so of Waco. Appreciate any suggestions, before I try googling.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

wheelgun1958

Re: Help Finding Night Pig Hunt

Post by wheelgun1958 »

https://www.independenceranch.com/

Google says 150 miles from Waco.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

wheelgun1958 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:13 am https://www.independenceranch.com/

BBB "F" rating: https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/waelder/profi ... 1000132868. They’ve had a LOT of complaints: https://www.yelp.com/biz/independence-r ... ing+Ranges. Here’s an example review (apparently the reviewer doesn’t understand punctuation and paragraph structure):
Note: the staff and the people at Independence Ranch very thoughtful very kind I don't think you can find a better group of people.

The rents boss there is very underhanded and conniving in my book. He will try to get every dime out of you that he can end at any cost. In any way size shape or form he will try to take money from you even when it says it's for the employees who do not receive their fair share if any at all.
Example of the ranch boss underhandedness: our group arrived and was checking in. We had to pay a $25 per person change of date fee. Once we were checking in he said cash only even had directions to the ATM. We all received reservations for the bunkhouse the bunkhouse was full he did not tell us that he asked us if we wanted to upgrade to a cabin for $300 we all look at each other and said no we do not want to upgrade to a cabin we will stay in the bunkhouse. He said well I will have to give you a cabin anyway because there is no more room in the bunkhouse. He wanted us to pay for the cabin even though he was going to have to put us there anyway because he was out of room in the bunkhouse.
2nd thing a hunter and his daughter were checking out after they shot a 300-pound pig at a dollar a pound to clean. He wanted everybody to leave a $50 cash tip for the employees. The gentleman said I don't have anymore cash. He said well I will take a credit card. A gentleman said you said you did not take credit cards he said I does but it's not preferred. So you could have paid for your whole trip on a credit card but he wanted cash. Then to get every dime out of you he will tell you at the last minute to leave a tip he will take credit cards. With all these signs that says cash only in direct me to a ATM that is sort of Shady to take credit card just to get every dime out of you. I just don't like that type so forgive me if you do not like this feedback. Now about the ranch. It is overgrown with Elk, elk or running wild everywhere. Four or three hundred acre ranch there were 100 + elk not to include Exotics cows and everything else. The ranch is a nice Ranch do not get me wrong it is. But you can barely shoot without hitting an elk which will you will charged about $7,000. The cabin we stayed in Rick of mildew I think it came from the flood that was in Texas a few months ago. I did not check the other cabins but I was worse. The food was good prepared by the staff. It was serve prompt and on time. Some things that you need to watch for first the $5 bag of ice that he will charge once he puts your meat on ice at a minimum of five bags. The dollar a pound cleaning fee so make sure you pick your animal wisely. Any animal that you kill under 50 lb you will still be charged $50 regardless of the size so unlimited piglets every piglet will cost you $50. Make sure that you do not upgrade to a cabin ask for whatever you reserved in the first place stay in the bunkhouse you might get upgraded just because there is no room without paying upgrade fee of $300. And thirdly you will enjoy the staff that are there. They are very kind friendly and knowledgeable. Just did not prefer the ranch boss. Which after I left he told one of my friends in my party yeah blacks and Mexicans don't like the tip. Well that is my review try it for yourself and see what you think.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I'm not familiar with pig hunting. Are night pigs that different from day pigs?
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

oljames3 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:04 pm I'm not familiar with pig hunting. Are night pigs that different from day pigs?
The day pigs wear sunglasses. :cool: :biggrinjester:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Get onto www.texasbowhunter.com . Those guys know every pig in Texas.
-Ruark

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:45 pm
wheelgun1958 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:13 am https://www.independenceranch.com/

BBB "F" rating: https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/waelder/profi ... 1000132868. They’ve had a LOT of complaints: https://www.yelp.com/biz/independence-r ... ing+Ranges. Here’s an example review (apparently the reviewer doesn’t understand punctuation and paragraph structure):
I went to their web site. From reading there, it is pretty obvious they have a lot of "extra charges". I suppose if you realize what your getting into, it is a good chance to slaughter a few hogs. Just be ready to pay up. :mrgreen:

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

You should call this guy. Always puts his clients on hogs, and has some really nice toys.

https://www.facebook.com/dehoganator/

I know him. He is a good man.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

equin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by equin »

Not sure if it’s within 100 miles of Waco, but you could try Boar Creek Ranch west of Corsicana. A bit pricey, but nice cabins with decent bathrooms and showers, great food and excellent hospitality. For an extra $40 or so, their guides will even skin, clean and butcher your hog. They even have a nice fishing pond, and the owner even let us shoot his target shoot his .50 caliber rifle and suppressed Ruger 10/22. Oh, and Dallas Cowboys players frequently go there. My Dad and I got two hogs when we went about 3 years ago and got to meet John Niland, the offensive guard for the Cowboys, as he was wearing his 1972 Superbowl ring. I got to chat with him around the campfire. How cool is that?!
Ed

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Pigs are really smart and if there is day hunting pressure they learn to only come out at night from the underbrush.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

equin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by equin »

I agree. Pigs learn quick to come out only at night when hunted. At Boar Creek Ranch, they use green or red lights powered by a car battery from blinds shining over timed feeders for night time shots. If you have night vision, though, you don’t have to use the lights.
Ed

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”