SC: Bodycam of LEO shooting homeowner through front door.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

SC: Bodycam of LEO shooting homeowner through front door.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 855233001/

The above link is primarily body cam of a Greenville County, SC LEO responding to a call. The homeowner had no awareness that a medical alert had apparently been triggered by someone in his home. The alarm company called 911. The 911 dispatcher got no response from a phone call to the home.
The homeowner had been asleep, heard a knock on his door, armed himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 snubbie, and approached his front door.

The LEO responded by shooting multiple rounds through the small glass panes beside the front door. He hit the homeowner twice, once was in the groin (ouch!). The homeowner is a 2A friend and will survive.

The LEO is in trouble because he said the door opened and the homeowner pointed his gun at him. The body cam shows that the door had not been opened before the LEO engaged the innocent homeowner.

This video is 10 minutes, 37 seconds long. It serves as an example of what can go wrong in such a situation.
There is strong language and blood in this video, so be aware.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Re: SC: Bodycam of LEO shooting homeowner through front door.

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I am not sure I understand. Did the guy point his gun at the cop from behind the closed door? It seems a bad idea to answer the door with your gun pointed at it. I can understand being armed and ready if needed but "striking a pose" seems like a good way to shoot an innocent person knocking on the door.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:18 pm I am not sure I understand. Did the guy point his gun at the cop from behind the closed door? It seems a bad idea to answer the door with your gun pointed at it. I can understand being armed and ready if needed but "striking a pose" seems like a good way to shoot an innocent person knocking on the door.
I never heard the deputy announce he was the police. From the homeowner's perspective, there is a person outside his house at midnight shining a flashlight into the house. The homeowner has a good case against the deputy. The deputy on the other hand has a problem because his initial story was that the homeowner opened his door and pointed a gun, which did not happen.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

BeanCounter

Post by BeanCounter »

Lesson learned. Never have clear sidelight windows so someone outside your home at night can see that you are armed. :shock:
TSRA Life Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I wonder if the Greenville Co. sheriffs dept is as good at stalling and covering up as Houston's Police chief is?
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

OneGun wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:51 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:18 pm I am not sure I understand. Did the guy point his gun at the cop from behind the closed door? It seems a bad idea to answer the door with your gun pointed at it. I can understand being armed and ready if needed but "striking a pose" seems like a good way to shoot an innocent person knocking on the door.
I never heard the deputy announce he was the police. From the homeowner's perspective, there is a person outside his house at midnight shining a flashlight into the house. The homeowner has a good case against the deputy. The deputy on the other hand has a problem because his initial story was that the homeowner opened his door and pointed a gun, which did not happen.
Don't get me wrong. I also think the cop is toast.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

BeanCounter wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:10 pm Lesson learned. Never have clear sidelight windows so someone outside your home at night can see that you are armed. :shock:
Good point. You never know when armed gang members might show up at your door. :banghead:

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

BeanCounter wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:10 pm Lesson learned. Never have clear sidelight windows so someone outside your home at night can see that you are armed. :shock:
:iagree: I would also be armed but maybe don't answer the door at all in some cases? Gotta admit if you don't know who just shot through the door it would be hard not to drop down and unload on whoever just shot me.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WARNING: graphic language and scenes which includes the "f" word and wounds on victim.
Here's the unedited youtube video of the incident without the narrative. The homeowner was shot four times striking his aorta, pelvis and two other grazing wounds. Spent a long time in the hospital, but survived.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

flechero

Post by flechero »

twomillenium wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:21 pm I wonder if the Greenville Co. sheriffs dept is as good at stalling and covering up as Houston's Police chief is?
The narrator of the video should apply in Houston... I didn't listen to all of it (skipped around to see the shooting part) but it sounded like he was trying to paint a real picture

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

The victim says they don't have an alarm.

When the victim was yelling out asking who it was telling him to throw his gun out, did the officer say he was the "shooter?" That's what it sounded like.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

I would submit that the shooting is evidence of a common training deficiency. Too many train to "see gun, shoot". That's why you see some law enforcement officers shooting each other. They saw the gun and shot before they bothered to put the situation in context. The officer had an easy opportunity to take cover and call for backup, but appears to have created a complete mess. Glad the homeowner lived.
VISION AND SCANNING

One problem I generally see in LE training is that more emphasis is put on flat range fire rather than learning to see and discriminate faster, which are equally as important. I ask individuals if they see first or shoot first in a tactical situation? The answer is simple, you must see first before you can shoot. Seeing and processing the information faster than your opponent is the key to whether you are in a shooting or in a gunfight.

Scanning and discrimination drills should compliment your live fire training. I always suggest you look at the “Whole Person” and then hands in a tactical encounter to help prevent fratricide. This is especially true for active shooter response scenarios and multi-breach point operations.

Always put in discrimination drills into your training.
Training for the read fight

ACHIEVING TACTICAL MATURITY:

The cheapest way to do this is to do dry fire practice against bad guys at home during an action movie on TV. You have to ID threats... friend vs. threat vs. third party and get a quick trigger pull on the threat before the threat disappears.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

One important element is missing from the story:

Did the dispatcher tell the deputy the alarm was a medical alert or was the call just dispatched as "an alarm?"

The wording of the dispatch will make a big difference in how the officer approaches, what he is prepared to see, and how he is primed to respond.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I want to be fair to the officer but if he lied about the door opening that is problematic. But based only on video and statements in the article,
If I was sitting on a grand jury I don't believe I would indict the officer on criminal charges. Especially as we can't see if the victim pointed his weapon because flashlight washes him out in the video. If sitting on civil jury for damages, I would be inclined to find in favor of the home owner. I think this falls more under possible negligent actions than criminal.

There is a lot to learn from this for LEO's and those of us who think our home is being broken into.
Ron
NRA Member

Return to “Off-Topic”