SC: Bodycam of LEO shooting homeowner through front door.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Re: SC: Bodycam of LEO shooting homeowner through front door.

Post by Excaliber »

Rob72 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:43 am
Excaliber wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:08 am One important element is missing from the story:

Did the dispatcher tell the deputy the alarm was a medical alert or was the call just dispatched as "an alarm?"

The wording of the dispatch will make a big difference in how the officer approaches, what he is prepared to see, and how he is primed to respond.
From experience: if you take Dispatch as gospel, you ain't too bright.

For the homeowner- never, never, never ever place yourself so that you're back lighted.
Dispatch's wording, while not taken as gospel, does create expectations and predispositions. I suspect this played a role here.

Not backlighting yourself while approaching a front door with transparent side glass is more easily said than done. The inside of a home is seldom fully dark and the light spilling in from the porch light would have been enough to easily see the homeowner as he came to the door.

The fact that the officer stated the homeowner opened the door and pointed a gun at him is indefensible. That clearly didn't happen.

I don't see anything else in the circumstances that would justify the officer's decision to shoot.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Excaliber wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:58 am
Excaliber wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:08 am One important element is missing from the story:

Did the dispatcher tell the deputy the alarm was a medical alert or was the call just dispatched as "an alarm?"

The wording of the dispatch will make a big difference in how the officer approaches, what he is prepared to see, and how he is primed to respond.

For the homeowner- never, never, never ever place yourself so that you're back lighted.
Dispatch's wording, while not taken as gospel, does create expectations and predispositions. I suspect this played a role here.

Not backlighting yourself while approaching a front door with transparent side glass is more easily said than done. The inside of a home is seldom fully dark and the light spilling in from the porch light would have been enough to easily see the homeowner as he came to the door.

The fact that the officer stated the homeowner opened the door and pointed a gun at him is indefensible. That clearly didn't happen.

I don't see anything else in the circumstances that would justify the officer's decision to shoot.

It does appear the officer saw the home owner had a gun and overreacted. It sure makes me wonder what had the officer so worked up he was ready to shoot. I am also thinking maybe the dispatch had something to do with it.

I have had cops knock on my door late at night. Turned out to be nothing but it tells me maybe the cop could see me with my gun and overreact.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

If dispatch presented the call as an alarm, and it was interpreted as a burglary...seeing a person with a firearm might put me on edge too. As Excaliber said, the wording of dispatch makes a difference in how he approaches.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

All these glass doors and side door windows place the homeowner at disadvantage. A good solid door with a peephole and cameras is better.

I believe the alarm company bears some responsibility here. In their 911 call they make it sound like a silent home alarm has been triggered, when it was a phone app medical alert.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I’m confused concerning the talk about what alarm was called. The home owner clearly states that he does not have an alarm. Furthermore, I would have not opened the door for this Officer or followed and of his commands until another LEO was present. The first Officer acted as badly as a home invader. I don’t think this Officer should ever work in any capacity where he has access to a weapon. He is obviously a lair and deserves no respect.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

If a medical alert, why wouldn't paramedics be sent?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

DynamicDan wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:48 pm If a medical alert, why wouldn't paramedics be sent?
Exactly. The alarm company majorly screwed up. Huge difference between a "silent" "panic alarm" that the alarm company called in about and a medical alert.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Again, the home owner said he did not have an alarm. If true, the alarm company sent assistance to the wrong address.......That will be their problem.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

It was from a phone app, not an actual alarm in their home.
Last edited by DynamicDan on Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I agree with many comments here, and it's a good reminder to everyone to take precautions when answering the door anytime. That officer should be held to the same rules that you or I would be. He should be prosecuted in my opinion. He's lucky there wasn't another person with a gun in the house, because they may have decided his uniform meant nothing, and I wouldn't blame them.

I will say that if someone shot through my door, they better hope I fall down and can't shoot back. Otherwise they are in for one heck of a firefight.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RicoTX wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:58 pm I agree with many comments here, and it's a good reminder to everyone to take precautions when answering the door anytime. That officer should be held to the same rules that you or I would be. He should be prosecuted on my opinion. He's lucky there wasn't another person with a gun in the house, because they may have decided his uniform meant nothing, and I wouldn't blame them.

I will say that if someone shot through my door, they better hope I fall down and can't shoot back. Otherwise they are in for one heck of a firefight.
I think I am in agreement with you. I would definitely open fire if I was able. Someone shooting through my door at me would not equate to police in any way, shape, form or fashion. I would assume it was a thug.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

No glass in any front door I've ever had, nor any side glass windows. We do and have had front windows, but they are at least three feet from the front door and have coverings inside to prevent looking in to see anything. I won't have a front door with anything other than a peep hole in it or side glass things. No reason to give anyone a view inside unless they are invited.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

DynamicDan wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:17 pm It was from a phone app, not an actual alarm in their home.
But why would they have a phone app if they didn't have an alarm?
I have a phone app for my alarms and have never accidentally triggered it.
I think there are a lot of mistakes made here by all parties. (1) Alarm company either sent them to the wrong address or failed to mention it was a medical alert (2) Dispatch failed to send proper information (3) Cop obviously lied about the homeowner opening the door pointing a gun at him. In fact, I couldn't tell if the homeowner even had a gun until the officer entered the house after the shooting and (4) the homeowner answering the door with a gun in view (if he did).
This is the main reason I have cameras around my house including doorbell camera. I don't answer the door if I don't know who it is.

Then there is always the issue of no knock warrants being served to the wrong houses, but that's another issue for another thread.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

BeanCounter wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:10 pm Lesson learned. Never have clear sidelight windows so someone outside your home at night can see that you are armed. :shock:
That is one of MANY reasons I have a thick, solid wood door with a one-way peep hole and no windows beside.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

So many unknowns at this point. Hopefully the victim's attorney can get to the truth about what actually transpired.

There's no doubt the GCSO will fully back that the deputy felt a "perceived threat" justifying his use of deadly force in accordance with the SO's "Use of Force guidlines." http://www.gcso.org/gcso-general-orders.php

Return to “Off-Topic”