Help identifying rattler!!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
narcissist
Posts in topic: 3

Help identifying rattler!!

Post by narcissist »

Got bit by this bad boy but it doesn't look like a eastern diamond back, more like a Mojave? I was reaching down to get the air chuck when he was right by the air compressor. Used my carry pistol to shoot it, the effects are not as bad as I thought it would be so far. Was hoping for a dry bite but not that lucky, going to try to ride it out but not 100% sure yet.
IMG_20190804_085558.jpg
IMG_20190804_085558.jpg
IMG_20190804_101815.jpg
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Help identifying rattler!!

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

narcissist wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:38 am Got bit by this bad boy but it doesn't look like a eastern diamond back, more like a Mojave? I was reaching down to get the air chuck when he was right by the air compressor. Used my carry pistol to shoot it, the effects are not as bad as I thought it would be so far. Was hoping for a dry bite but not that lucky, going to try to ride it out but not sure yet.
IMG_20190804_085558.jpg
IMG_20190804_101815.jpg
IMG_20190804_101815.jpg
You need to get to the hospital. Rattlesnake bites can cause your skin and muscle tissue to literally rot away around the bite.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 15

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Oh... and it looks to be a diamond back.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 8

Post by carlson1 »

Bad decision to ride out. You need to ride out the hospital a long time ago unless you plan on being a snake handling preacher.

I also agree with lightningrocks it is a western diamond back.
DescriptionThe western diamondback rattlesnake or Texas diamond-back is a venomous rattlesnake species found in the southwestern United States and Mexico. It is likely responsible for the majority of snakebite fatalities in northern Mexico and the greatest number of snakebites in the U.S. No subspecies are currently recognized.

Topic author
narcissist
Posts in topic: 3

Post by narcissist »

Thanks, I was worried about the mojave, so far just like bad sweats pains but a little swelling, being about 5ft they control their venom a little better. I looked it up its been way past 4 hours for the anti-venum. My wife was begging me to go it's just i hate hospitals and drs. I might give in tho, glad it's not the Mojave after all!
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

DocV
Posts in topic: 4

Post by DocV »

Get your stubborn hide over to the hospital. Don't make us come and drag you.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

What every body else said, get to the Doc NOW! Neighbor out at ranch got zapped by a rattler last spring on her foot. Snake was in their carport just outside kitchen door. Not one, but 2 trips to hospital each a couple of days long. Couple of doses of anti-venom.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

narcissist wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:26 am Thanks, I was worried about the mojave, so far just like bad sweats pains but a little swelling, being about 5ft they control their venom a little better. I looked it up its been way past 4 hours for the anti-venum. My wife was begging me to go it's just i hate hospitals and drs. I might give in tho, glad it's not the Mojave after all!
You need to take this very seriously. Get your butt to the ER. You’re not just facing feeling real sick. You’re facing possible permanent loss of use of your hand.....FOREVER. This is NOT the time to play tough guy. Don’t be dumb. Get medical care right away.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

narcissist wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:26 am Thanks, I was worried about the mojave, so far just like bad sweats pains but a little swelling, being about 5ft they control their venom a little better. I looked it up its been way past 4 hours for the anti-venum. My wife was begging me to go it's just i hate hospitals and drs. I might give in tho, glad it's not the Mojave after all!
Maybe you’ll hate 'em less if they save your life?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 2

Post by imkopaka »

To calmly echo what others have said,

GET YER KEISTER TO THE HOSPITAL!
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

if they save your hand, it's worth it! get to the DR!!!!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Everything everybody is saying is absolutely spot on! Take this VERY seriously. You are gambling with severe consequences and possibly even death.

Please do us a favor. Please give a family member your username and password in the likely event you will become incapacitated, or, God forbid, die from this unattended snakebite, and have them let us know what happened. I'm praying for you.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man

joe817 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:01 am Everything everybody is saying is absolutely spot on! Take this VERY seriously. You are gambling with severe consequences and possibly even death.

Please do us a favor. Please give a family member your username and password in the likely event you will become incapacitated, or, God forbid, die from this unattended snakebite, and have them let us know what happened. I'm praying for you.
This ^^^^

#TINVOWOOT

ELB
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ELB »

GO. Yesterday.

Your hand is particularly vulnerable because there is so little flesh and it is a very complex part of your body.
USAF 1982-2005

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I cannot give you medical advice, but please read and take heed of the wise and potentially life saving advice that everyone else has offered. Crotalid bites can be extremely bad but are very treatable.

Return to “Off-Topic”