Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rajeev2liz
Posts in topic: 3

Question

Post by rajeev2liz »

Hello, all I am from El Paso Texas I got a question which am getting a lot of mixed answer. Are the only authorized signs the 30.06 and 30.07 which means if that place does not want any firearms on their premises they have to post both signs up? Or is a simple generic sign with a pistol and a slash thru it sufficient. Thanks

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question

Post by johncanfield »

I'm not a lawyer or expert on License To Carry restrictions but a sign with a handgun with a red slash (commonly referred to as a gun-buster sign) basically means nothing as far as carrying. -However- if I saw a sign like that I would not openly carry even if legal, in other words, don't poke the bear.

I have seen 30.07 signs which to me means I can legally carry concealed, I've seen 30.06 signs without an adjunct 30.07 sign. I think the intent of the business is to wholly restrict gun carry concealed or open carry but I assume you can legally carry open. I doubt if I would enter a business/facility with just a 30.06 sign.

Before the experts jump in, my disclaimer is these are my opinions - your mileage may vary, etc., etc.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

rajeev2liz wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:26 pm Hello, all I am from El Paso Texas I got a question which am getting a lot of mixed answer. Are the only authorized signs the 30.06 and 30.07 which means if that place does not want any firearms on their premises they have to post both signs up? Or is a simple generic sign with a pistol and a slash thru it sufficient. Thanks
30.06 and 30.07 signs only restrict License to Carry holders, they have no authority over unlicensed people (or criminals).

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

johncanfield wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:50 pm I'm not a lawyer or expert on License To Carry restrictions but a sign with a handgun with a red slash (commonly referred to as a gun-buster sign) basically means nothing as far as carrying. -However- if I saw a sign like that I would not openly carry even if legal, in other words, don't poke the bear.

I have seen 30.07 signs which to me means I can legally carry concealed, I've seen 30.06 signs without an adjunct 30.07 sign. I think the intent of the business is to wholly restrict gun carry concealed or open carry but I assume you can legally carry open. I doubt if I would enter a business/facility with just a 30.06 sign.

Before the experts jump in, my disclaimer is these are my opinions - your mileage may vary, etc., etc.
:iagree: this is a pretty good summation
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

By law the sign to prohibit open carry is the 30.07, the 30.06 prohibits conceal carry, if they post the 30.07 sign I'll cover the gun! If it's just the a gun buster sign, the one you describe I ignore it as it has no force of law in Texas, if it is a 30.06 sign it better be as prescribed as required by the State, if even one period is not in the right spot I ignore it! If I have to follow the law so do they!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

DocV

Post by DocV »

Grayling813 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:11 pm
rajeev2liz wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:26 pm Hello, all I am from El Paso Texas I got a question which am getting a lot of mixed answer. Are the only authorized signs the 30.06 and 30.07 which means if that place does not want any firearms on their premises they have to post both signs up? Or is a simple generic sign with a pistol and a slash thru it sufficient. Thanks
30.06 and 30.07 signs only restrict License to Carry holders, they have no authority over unlicensed people (or criminals).
Exactly! 30.06 and 30.07 signs prevent entry to only LTC holders who have passed both state mandated training that includes state law, weapon proficiency, and other topics, such as de-escalation . Among other requirements, Texas LTC holders must also: pass an FBI background check; may not be chemically dependant; can not be deliquent on any child support, state or federal taxes; can not be under a protective order; and, can not be a fugtive from justices.

Criminals ignore 30.06 or 30.07 signs. If a business wants to allow only criminals carrying guns on their premises they should post those signs.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I worked in El Paso for quite a while. The only legal signage I ever saw was posted on El Paso Electric Co. buildings. As I carry concealed 99.9% of the time, I have walked past illegal signs at the three major banks,two large credit unions and any other building which I saw an illegal gun buster sign. Texas Roadhouse posted a computer generated sign ( not legal) requesting no Open Carry but they did not restrict CC.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

An additional issue to consider with regards to that jackwagon that murdered those innocent people yesterday is that he was not using a handgun. The 30.06 and 30.07 signs only prohibit licensed carriers from carrying their handguns into those businesses. Walmart typically does not post either sign. The sign they do post is the "Unlicensed Possession" signs required by the TABC because they sell alcohol for off-site consumption. This next part is something I'm uncertain about. Long guns, rifles and shotguns, are not required to have licenses to carry around, but might be covered under that sign.

OP, do you hold an LTC here in Texas or from another state that Texas recognizes?

And we all know that a sign will only stop the law abiding that will honor it. No sign was going to stop what happened yesterday. :sad:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

The only sign that would have stopped is that he was nuts before he got there.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

johncanfield wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:50 pm I'm not a lawyer or expert on License To Carry restrictions but a sign with a handgun with a red slash (commonly referred to as a gun-buster sign) basically means nothing as far as carrying. -However- if I saw a sign like that I would not openly carry even if legal, in other words, don't poke the bear.

:iagree:

If the location has a..... I will.....
Gunbuster sign............. Conceal carry
30.07 sign................... Conceal carry
30.06 sign................... Spend my money someplace else.
C-dub wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:52 pmAnd we all know that a sign will only stop the law abiding that will honor it. No sign was going to stop what happened yesterday. :sad:
Truth.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

In this discussion, I feel it is important for us to remember that TPC 30.06 and 30.07 address three types of notice:
  • Oral
  • Card or other document
  • Sign
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... /PE.30.htm
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

OP: A useful resource for you to search is www.texas3006.com. This site will detail which sites around the state have 30.06 signs (no concealed carry) and/or 30.07 signs (no open carry).

When you register on www.texas3006.com (it's free), you will have the most privileges to search, post, etc.

Keep in mind that the data on this site is submitted by citizens. It does not promise to detail EVERY site in Texas, but it's pretty close, IMHO.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
rajeev2liz

Post by rajeev2liz »

Yup I agree. Thanks

Topic author
rajeev2liz

Post by rajeev2liz »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:35 pm

:iagree:

If the location has a..... I will.....
Gunbuster sign............. Conceal carry
30.07 sign................... Conceal carry
30.06 sign................... Spend my money someplace else.
C-dub wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:52 pmAnd we all know that a sign will only stop the law abiding that will honor it. No sign was going to stop what happened yesterday. :sad:
Truth.
Well said

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”