Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMQ2b6ZwwCU

When LEO's need a gun traced, here's where and how it happens.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Video: Inside WV's federal firearm tracing center.

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:45 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMQ2b6ZwwCU

When LEO's need a gun traced, here's where and how it happens.

SIA
I just watched the video. Is that real? I kept thinking it might be a spoof video of some kind. That Chief was a serious ding dong.

mayor

Post by mayor »

So, the firearm tracing center is building a firearm registry database from the records of closed FFL dealers. "As the records get run through those imagers, we load that into our system, and the paper records will be destroyed, otherwise we'd need a bigger building, right?" After this, the video explains how a firearm registry isn't being developed. "We turn those .pdf into... what? .jpg?" (then we delete the .pdf files that were generated as... what? individual files? That makes me feel better. I'll take your word for it. thanks.

flechero

either untrue or inaccurate.

Post by flechero »

I paid more attention to the lawyer type sitting beside/hind him that he looked to anytime he answered a question or said "too much."

He said they page through by hand... 67+million records at over a 90% success rate (with accurate descriptions) and there is no searchable method? I say bull. He's either lying (see comment about lawyer type) or they simply call the mfr with serial to get started to find the seller and retail customer. JMO.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

This video pre-dates that one:

:biggrinjester:
Last edited by Paladin on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I knew from the moment I filled out a 4473 for the first time, that it could later be easily used as a registration tool, or a means of tracking me.
I mean come on, you’re filling out federal documents with all of your information, a serial number and description of the firearm.

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

jb2012 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:08 pm I knew from the moment I filled out a 4473 for the first time, that it could later be easily used as a registration tool, or a means of tracking me.
I mean come on, you’re filling out federal documents with all of your information, a serial number and description of the firearm.
It's possible, yes. But my understanding is that the only way the WV site gets the hardcopy 4473, which they can digitize, is when the FFL from whom you bought your heater goes out of business and has to send the hardcopies to WV.

So, if you bought your firearm from someplace that's still in business, ATF may peruse your 4473 at that FFL, but they would not have a chance to digitize it and put it into any sort of electronic data retrieval system.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:55 pm
jb2012 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:08 pm I knew from the moment I filled out a 4473 for the first time, that it could later be easily used as a registration tool, or a means of tracking me.
It's possible, yes. But my understanding is that the only way the WV site gets the hardcopy 4473, which they can digitize, is when the FFL from whom you bought your heater goes out of business and has to send the hardcopies to WV.

So, if you bought your firearm from someplace that's still in business, ATF may peruse your 4473 at that FFL, but they would not have a chance to digitize it and put it into any sort of electronic data retrieval system.

SIA
I’m just saying that it could easily be used. Yes every ffl keeps their 4473’s. All it takes is the swipe of a congressional (and presidential) pen to have those documents sent straight to wv. It’s WAYYYY too easy for this to happen. Also remember, all information from the 4473 is relayed to the FBI. Be it over the phone, or electronically.

Return to “Off-Topic”