77%
S&W M&P Compact .22
23%

Total votes: 44

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: .22 pistol choices

Post by anygunanywhere »

I have a Browning Buckmark. I like the Ruger.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Have you considered the S&W Victory with threaded barrel? https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-s ... hread.html

I have the Victory and a Ruger 22/45. The Ruger is in its box in the closet, I never shoot it anymore after I got the Victory.

That being said....If I get another .22 pistol it will be the M&P .22 since all my 9mm's are M&P's and it would be a good "training/familiarization" gun.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Perhaps you should at least check out the Taurus tx22. Not on your list but has very nice reviews. I know it's a Taurus but...

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

I have Browning Buckmarks which I chose over the Ruger. With that said between the two mentioned I'd take the Ruger unless the goal is to acclimate a new shooter to modern polymer semi-autos in order to step up to one in a larger caliber.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mot7981

Post by mot7981 »

Plus 1 on the TX22. Love mine!

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Coming from someone who owns both, and shoots both suppressed, the S&W all day long and twice on Sunday. I know the Ruger is supposed to be the gold standard, but I’m just not taken with it. I had a Mk III 22/45 that I liked, but hated the take down. So I ended up upgrading to a Mk IV. Thus far it’s very underwhelming, just no soul to it. Not that the S&W is any better there, but it’s been way more reliable and has the obvious advantage of being laid out like a full size gun. It’s also been more than 1500 rounds (all suppressed) since the last cleaning and it’s still chugging along.

My 6 y/o daughter loves it and has basically taken ownership of it.

I work in Garland and would be more than happy to meet you at the range for a side by side comparison at some point.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

KLB

Post by KLB »

My Walther P22 does not feed reliably. I would not use it for anything other than target practice.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I own a few .22 pistols. My favorite is my Ruger Single Six. I mostly use the magnum cylinder though. I've even killed a few hogs with it.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Ruger.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

bobby

Post by bobby »

7k out of my SW 22 compact. love it same frame as my 380 ez and safety..
:txflag:

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I had a Beretta 76S for a while, but it did not feel as solid as my Beretta Neos. I did love those target grips though!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:06 pm I'm considering buying one of the following (with threaded muzzle for a later Form 4 suppressor) to have a compact, inexpensive but sturdy trainer (no, I don't want a 1911 conversion-kit or one of those pot-metal 1911 .22 pistols).

Seeing as my favorite little Beretta 71 .22 is very rare in this country, these are the two I'm currently looking at - pick one:
What barrel length is your Beretta?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Between the choices you list, you have to narrow it down by intended use / feature set. The S&W is a solid sub-caliber facsimile of the Shield, and if you want a gun that generally mimics control placement and handling of the Shield it is first rate. Since you intend to suppress the gun, I am thinking (could easily be wrong here) that your intended use is plinking / target work or perhaps small game / varmint control. If that is true, and handling / control placement characteristics don't point directly to the S&W, the Ruger would be my choice. Aftermarket support for the Ruger is great if you envision changing the fire control group or doing other modifications.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”