TX:Judge orders man to pay 96k in divorce settlement even though she was married to two other men

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

TX:Judge orders man to pay 96k in divorce settlement even though she was married to two other men

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... my-charges

Man ordered to pay support to wife indicted on bigamy charges. They were only married 2 months.

K.Mooneyham

Re: TX:Judge orders man to pay 96k in divorce settlement even though she was married to two other men

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Wow, something with this one is flat out rotten, and I don't just mean the ruling.

Grayling813

Re: TX:Judge orders man to pay 96k in divorce settlement even though she was married to two other men

Post by Grayling813 »

philip964 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:45 am https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... my-charges

Man ordered to pay support to wife indicted on bigamy charges. They were only married 2 months.
Female judge...big surprise. Total bull, this is the kind of judicial malfeasance that makes citizens distrust the system.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

I can't imagine this ruling will stand. A bigamous marriage is illegal.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

apostate

Post by apostate »

Was the judge one of her lesbian husbands? :roll:

KLB

Post by KLB »

It's difficult to understand the outcome, especially given this provision of the Texas Family Code:
Sec. 6.202. MARRIAGE DURING EXISTENCE OF PRIOR MARRIAGE. (a) A marriage is void if entered into when either party has an existing marriage to another person that has not been dissolved by legal action or terminated by the death of the other spouse.

(b) The later marriage that is void under this section becomes valid when the prior marriage is dissolved if, after the date of the dissolution, the parties have lived together as husband and wife and represented themselves to others as being married.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 7, Sec. 1, eff. April 17, 1997.
In seemingly anomalous cases, there's almost always more to the story. My guess is we have not been given all the relevant facts.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

KLB wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:19 pm It's difficult to understand the outcome, especially given this provision of the Texas Family Code:
Sec. 6.202. MARRIAGE DURING EXISTENCE OF PRIOR MARRIAGE. (a) A marriage is void if entered into when either party has an existing marriage to another person that has not been dissolved by legal action or terminated by the death of the other spouse.

(b) The later marriage that is void under this section becomes valid when the prior marriage is dissolved if, after the date of the dissolution, the parties have lived together as husband and wife and represented themselves to others as being married.

In seemingly anomalous cases, there's almost always more to the story. My guess is we have not been given all the relevant facts.
Or, it could just be a man-hating feminist judge.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:52 am
This was my first thought. These days it is considered OK to assume the male deserves a beat down. Maybe that is why some men want to become women. :smilelol5:

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:06 am
K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:52 am
This was my first thought. These days it is considered OK to assume the male deserves a beat down. Maybe that is why some men want to become women. :smilelol5:
I have read that the falling marriage rate is related to the fear some men have due to the high rate of divorce and the continued beat downs men receive in the divorce court.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Here is another story. Apparently this woman has a criminal history. She probably had a better attorney than Athans.
However, according to Athans, his son began to research Parchem and learned she had a criminal history.

“Some things just didn’t add up,” Athans said. “He went and did a background check on her and found she had a criminal record. I never knew anything about that.

“I trusted someone I know I shouldn’t have.”
Note: Do a background check before you get involved or married.

https://www.yourconroenews.com/neighbor ... 382233.php
NRA Endowment Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

WildBill wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:40 pm Here is another story. Apparently this woman has a criminal history. She probably had a better attorney than Athans.
However, according to Athans, his son began to research Parchem and learned she had a criminal history.

“Some things just didn’t add up,” Athans said. “He went and did a background check on her and found she had a criminal record. I never knew anything about that.

While that is a good idea on hindsight, I bet most folks don't think about that while in the stages of passion and love during the first part of the relationship. I can imagine some people might even think of that move as a sign of distrust and become offended they were researched. Human nature is such that people in love may even be afraid to find out about a sordid history.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:59 pm
WildBill wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:40 pm Here is another story. Apparently this woman has a criminal history. She probably had a better attorney than Athans.

While that is a good idea on hindsight, I bet most folks don't think about that while in the stages of passion and love during the first part of the relationship. I can imagine some people might even think of that move as a sign of distrust and become offended they were researched. Human nature is such that people in love may even be afraid to find out about a sordid history.
You can bet my wife did. I guess I passed!

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

KLB wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:19 pm It's difficult to understand the outcome, especially given this provision of the Texas Family Code:

Todays judge rulings are all based on emotion of the judge. It has NOTHING to do with law.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Mrs. Oldgringo's daddy told her that the Oldgringo was bad to drink and chase women when he first heard that we'd hooked up. We observed our 35th-anniversary a couple of weeks ago. You just never know, eh? :headscratch

Return to “The Crime Blotter”