Philly video: GG w/good SA empties mag, kills robber DRT.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Philly video: GG w/good SA empties mag, kills robber DRT.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

https://hoodsite.com/cell-phone-store-e ... ed-robber/

It took me a while to find the above video, which is not edited, and contains the whole DGU (Defensive Gun Use). Most news stories stop the video just as the defender points his gun at the BG's head.

The link is a 29 second video from inside a Metro PCS cell phone store in the City of Philadelphia, PA.

The store had been robbed at least twice before. The Philly LEO's stopped by on a regular basis, and sign into a log book there.

The robber enters the store, throws a bag onto the counter in front of the lone employee, and tells him to fill it with phones.
Then he turns sideways to the clerk, not observing the clerk for a second.

The clerk has great SA (situational awareness), is a lefty, carrying about 300 PM, and immediately draws and fires.

It seems like the first shot into the bad guy was a head shot, which causes him to collapse. Then the GG's next shots (2,3,4?) seem to be very left of the bad guy. Then the GG gets better situated and on target. He appears to empty his magazine into the prone BG. Some witnesses said they heard 10 shots. You can see his ejected shells landing on the store's printer.

The video isn't clear enough to tell what kind of gun the BG had. The GG's appears to be a black pistol (it's not a revolver). After he stops firing, it's not clear if his slide is locked back or not. The clerk retains his pistol, picks up his own phone, and nopes out of there.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

TreyHouston

Re: Philly video: GG w/good SA empties mag, kills robber DRT.

Post by TreyHouston »

:shock: :shock:
DAAAANNNNGGGG! He got jacked up!!!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I love happy endings!
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

anygunanywhere wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:38 pm I love happy endings!
:iagree:

I am waiting for the interview with the criminals mother saying what a good boy he was and didn't deserve to be shot for simply robbing a place.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Looks to me like clerk went to slide lock.

Good for him.

Need to put this in SD forum.
USAF 1982-2005

On_Code

Post by On_Code »

:tiphat: Well done!

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:46 pm... You can see his ejected shells landing on the store's printer. ...
SIA
First round appears to be a miss, high & left. Round two looks like a head shot. Round three scores a direct hit on the printer/fax.* Round four, not sure where it landed but way left of the perp. Round five is into the printer/fax again. Round six looks like a miss. 7-16 seem to be on the mark.
*Round 3 may have passed through the printer on its way to the perp.

I'm using a browser plugin called:
Video Speed Controller
Speed up, slow down, advance and rewind any HTML5 video with quick shortcuts.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

warnmar10 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:25 pm
surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:46 pm... You can see his ejected shells landing on the store's printer. ...
SIA
First round appears to be a miss, high & left. Round two looks like a head shot. Round three scores a direct hit on the printer/fax.* Round four, not sure where it landed but way left of the perp. Round five is into the printer/fax again. Round six looks like a miss. 7-16 seem to be on the mark.
*Round 3 may have passed through the printer on its way to the perp.

I'm using a browser plugin called:
Video Speed Controller
Speed up, slow down, advance and rewind any HTML5 video with quick shortcuts.
That is pretty cool. I was trying to hit pause then play and could not figure it out at all.

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

Good for the employee. I pray that he does not suffer any ill effects from this.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

I'd say the employee needs to get him the most expensive defense attorney he can afford to hire. He kept firing after the threat had ended. Emptied his magazine on somebody down, not facing him, and was not moving.

Kind of like the pharmacist in Oklahoma, who defended, but kept on shooting after the threat was over. He then reloaded and kept firing. I think he was found guilty of manslaughter, but don't quote me on this. Keith knows this incident better than I.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Allons

Post by Allons »

I wonder if the employee got fired?
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

joe817 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:05 pm I'd say the employee needs to get him the most expensive defense attorney he can afford to hire. He kept firing after the threat had ended. Emptied his magazine on somebody down, not facing him, and was not moving.

Kind of like the pharmacist in Oklahoma, who defended, but kept on shooting after the threat was over. He then reloaded and kept firing. I think he was found guilty of manslaughter, but don't quote me on this. Keith knows this incident better than I.
According to the article, the authorities have "...ruled the homicide justified as self-defense."

JRG

Post by JRG »

The clerk certainly didn't wait very long to draw his weapon and fire. Good on him. He probably was on duty when the place was robbed before and was ready this time.

Joe

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Honestly a little shocked that liberal Philly didn't press charges. The victim shot first, kept firing after the robber was dead, and had no right to protect himself IMO. What was he thinking even owning a gun??? [/sarcasm]

Being serious though, he's lucky to escape charges for continuing to fire after the threat ended. Other than that, fantastic work.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

flechero

Post by flechero »

I'm willing to bet that from the shooter's angle, in real time, at least 9 of 10 of us would have continued to fire [at least a few more] after the perp fell.

All this talk of the threat being over is great in an armchair scenario, but how many videos have we seen where the bg drops but continues to fight? The clerk doesn't yet know the bg is out or covering up waiting to reengage. In fact it will take the coroner's report for us to know for sure.

Lets give the GG the same benefit of the doubt that we would hope to receive if ever faced w/ this situation.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”