Would you support this gun private purchase restriction

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Would you support this gun private purchase restriction

Post by philip964 »

I’m going to get flamed but I’m ready for it.

What if their was a law requiring private gun sellers to get three notarized letters from the buyer stating that they have known the person for five years, the person is of sound mind, the person to their knowledge has never been convicted of a crime, does not abuse drugs, and they would recommend that person for a gun purchase.

The gun seller would be required to keep the letters for five years.

Failure to get the letters or to keep them would subject the seller to civil liability should the person commit a crime with the gun sold to them.

Buyers would be responsible to immediately report a gun theft made through a private sale.

What if it was for buyers only under 26 years of age?

I would rather us write the new law than politicians.

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Would you support this gun private purchase restriction

Post by jason812 »

Read this...

https://www.constituteproject.org/const ... erica_1992
AMENDMENT II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

5thGenTexan

Post by 5thGenTexan »

H e double hockey sticks NO!! I only do private transfers with relatives or LTC holders.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

jason812 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:31 pm Read this...

https://www.constituteproject.org/const ... erica_1992
AMENDMENT II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
What he said....

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

philip964 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:23 pm I’m going to get flamed but I’m ready for it.

What if their was a law requiring private gun sellers to get three notarized letters from the buyer stating that they have known the person for five years, the person is of sound mind, the person to their knowledge has never been convicted of a crime, does not abuse drugs, and they would recommend that person for a gun purchase.

The gun seller would be required to keep the letters for five years.

Failure to get the letters or to keep them would subject the seller to civil liability should the person commit a crime with the gun sold to them.

Buyers would be responsible to immediately report a gun theft made through a private sale.

What if it was for buyers only under 26 years of age?

I would rather us write the new law than politicians.
No. Not in this or any other universe. "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”, Patrick Henry.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

The Communists have their enemies pushing and tripping over each other to do their work for them.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Or give the population access to NICS so we can do our own checks if we so choose to.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

priusron

Post by priusron »

If I were to sell a firearm, I would only sell to a LTC holder. Then I know the background check was completed and they passed. But I don’t sell my firearms. I will give them to family members, but I will not sell them.

DEB

Post by DEB »

suthdj wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:43 pm Or give the population access to NICS so we can do our own checks if we so choose to.
This :iagree:
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

flechero

Post by flechero »

suthdj wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:43 pm Or give the population access to NICS so we can do our own checks if we so choose to.
This- sort of. I don't oppose a check, Lord knows I have been through them. I oppose the records kept for said check.

If I could run a nics check and not do or keep a record, I would, just for my own piece of mind.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

North Carolina used to have a sorta-similar process, administered via the local Sheriff.
Fill out a form, have a friend that's known you for some years (I forget exactly) vouch for you on the form, wait a week or so for background check, then get issued "purchase permits". You give one permit to the seller of a private sale for them to keep. The seller is covered, the buyer is vetted a bit more than a private sale would normally be vetted.

I believe they have done away with needing someone to vouch for you, otherwise, the process is still in place today.
http://www.wakegov.com/sheriff/division ... rmits.aspx
It is a misdemeanor to sell or otherwise dispose of a handgun without first obtaining a pistol permit from the recipient of the pistol.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

What if we got a double pinky swear for people we have known for more than 5 years. A genetic sample from all others. And a triple double serious promise not to use the gun for anything bad...

No.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

I assume that the reasons "friends" of the Constitution help enemies of the Constitution destroy the county is that by doing do is somehow going to delay or avert the destruction.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Interesting.

Your suggestion is interesting, but I was more referring to my response to your question.

I had typed out a long well stated (IMHO) response and reasoning and my feelings about several related subjects. But after reflecting on what I had written, and considering today's climate, let me considerably edit my response to your question.

Here is my response: no.

:tiphat:

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

So my grandfather would need to get these letters to pass on his guns to me?
If I die this afternoon, and did not have the forethought to get these letters in advance of dying in a car accident..my firearms can not be transferred to my wife and sons?
If I stay as grumpy as I am today, it is likely I will not have the three required "friends" to testify and crate these letters....so my weapons must be what, destroyed? Turned in to the government to the government?

What if, what if we asked congress to write a law, that makes it illegal to take possession of a weapon if prohibited and then convicted those that take possession anyway? That should work...Oh wait we have that law but either they are not tried, or given light sentences.

What if, what if we asked congress to write a law, that makes it illegal to sell or give a weapon to a prohibited person.. Oh wait we have that law but either they are not tried, or given light sentences.

The government is not even going after prohibited persons that fail a NICS check from a FFL transfer for an actual prohibition felon, drug issue, mental issue, domestic violence, restraining order(vice an administrative issue, mis matched address, ect) If they wont go after, investigate, charge if appropriate (the two time felon, the domestic violence, ect) convicted person..the ones that self ID them selfs as having committed a criminal act (attempt to take possession of a weapon when they know they are prohibited
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”