Albertsons goes the way of Walmart

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Albertsons goes the way of Walmart

Post by chasfm11 »

Oldgringo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:34 pm
You're right, OC just ain't my thing. Furthermore, in the current widespread, anti-gun atmosphere, I firmly feel that we 2A believer gun owners should not taunt our opposition with our 1791AD Second Amendment rights. There's a lot more of them than there are of us. "....out of sight, out of mind", if you get my drift?
I stated the same thing in a different thread Now let me do my devil's advocate routine and take the opposite side.

1. Is there a comparison between OC and wearing a MAGA hat? I have the right to do both and both trigger the "opposition." To be clear, I don't own a MAGA hat and would likely be careful about where I wore it in public. But should my ability to wear it be suppressed because some of my fellow citizens don't like it?
2. I don't think that I have to do anything to taunt the opposition. They have made it very clear that my existence with an opposing thought taunts them. Merely believing in the 2nd Amendment, if they know or suspect it, makes many of them willing to want me snuffed out. Eric Swalwell's half-joking threat the nuke middle America if they refused to turn in their guns got a lot of following. I had an unexpectedly political conversation in very Conservative enclave of senior housing near Denton. The person went on a rant about "assault weapons" and I simply said that I owned one and asked if that made me a bad person. My antagonist was more than willing to put me in jail even if I never committed a crime.
3. I'll climb way out on a limb and say that I believe that there is a greater problem. The whole goal of the Progressives since the 2016 election has been to suppress anyone who even looked like a Trump voter in any way that they could. It is clear that gun rights advocates, even if they are not rabid Trump supporters are not supporters of his opposition and are therefore targets for suppression. Other than MAGA hats there are not many ways so publicly say that we are not going to be suppressed. The more that they think that they are winning their suppression war, the more that they are going to be committed to carrying it out. The "out of sight, out of mind" is a collective acquiescence that they are winning. Yes, I get it. It may be the wrong gesture. In this context, what is a better choice than OC?
4. We all know that if all of OC was banned, the opposition is not going to stop. OC is just a milestone on their journey, not a destination.
5. I OC less than 20% of the time. Tonight, I will OC at a public meeting because it is 2nd Amendment friendly and because I think it is important to show my like-minded friends that it is OK to publicly oppose the anti-gun types. At this time last month, I was OC at a similar event with over 200 in attendance. We were playing a trivia game after a meal, I answered one of the questions correctly and went to the stage area to receive my prize for that correct answer. I got a lot of positive comments on OC. On OC at one event may not accomplish a lot but it seems to provide reassurance to others that they are not alone. I think that the feeling of being alone in the current onslaught tends to convince people that they shouldn't do things to show their opposition. Seeing others who are showing opposition can be an encouragement for them.

To be clear, I do not plan to OC this week in any of the stores that have requested that the practice stop, even though I have been in those stores OC in the past. Next week or the week following may need re-evaluation.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

anygunanywhere wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 pm
Oldgringo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:05 pm OC serves what purpose?
OC didn’t cause this mess so please stop insinuating that it did. We all know you are not a fan of OC but it is a part of our RKBA and in some places it is an acceptable means and not an issue. You are surrendering your self to the lefty tyrants when you criticize something normal.
:iagree:, "in some places it is an acceptable means and not an issue." Acceptable places are not; IMO, shopping areas, religious houses, sporting events, weddings, Hooters, schools, and other public gathering places. I have OC'd in Glacier NP, Rocky Mountain NP, Estes Park, CO, and other remote places in Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming just to see what it feels like. In a couple of those legal OC areas, I was asked, "what's with the gun"? I had no real answer.

You're right, OC just ain't my thing. Furthermore, in the current widespread, anti-gun atmosphere, I firmly feel that we 2A believer gun owners should not taunt our opposition with our 1791AD Second Amendment rights. There's a lot more of them than there are of us. "....out of sight, out of mind", if you get my drift?
I get your point.
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

anygunanywhere wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 pm
OC didn’t cause this mess so please stop insinuating that it did. We all know you are not a fan of OC but it is a part of our RKBA and in some places it is an acceptable means and not an issue. You are surrendering your self to the lefty tyrants when you criticize something normal.
:iagree:, "in some places it is an acceptable means and not an issue." Acceptable places are not; IMO, shopping areas, religious houses, sporting events, weddings, Hooters, schools, and other public gathering places. I have OC'd in Glacier NP, Rocky Mountain NP, Estes Park, CO, and other remote places in Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming just to see what it feels like. In a couple of those legal OC areas, I was asked, "what's with the gun"? I had no real answer.

So we should also not exercise our 1A or 4A or 5A 1791 AD rights either because there are more of them than there are of us? There is an anti-free speech atmosphere, and a "if you are doing nothing wrong you shouldn't mind a search" atmosphere. Sorry, your drift doesn't appeal to me. If you don't exercise your freedoms, you lose them. All of our freedoms support each other, and when we lose one the others are eroded too. Following your drift is just giving in to incrementalism.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

I've been open carrying for three years. In that time, I have had dozens of positive conversations with people in public places about the importance of gun rights. I have been able to recommend firearms, ranges, holsters, and educate people on the process for getting their license. I have cleared up misconceptions and changed minds. I have had a friendly conversation in a crowded Chipotle with a black couple about the importance of the 2nd Amendment, showing a restaurant full of people that gun carrying conservative white men are not, in fact, all a bunch of racist rednecks. I have helped a muslim middle-eastern woman learn how to get her license and give her advice on how to shop for a gun. This was, again, in front of dozens of people. I have answered the questions of children on why I carry a gun. I have had the opportunity to encourage those that conceal carry to do so more regularly. I have made a point to speaking to police officers while open carrying and thanking them for what they do, to foster good will and a positive impression of private citizens that carry.

I have spent three years being a force for good. I have spent three years showing people that those that carry guns can be decent, friendly, pleasant folks, just going about their lives. I have spent three years influencing hundreds of people in an increasingly liberal area of Texas. I have spent three years normalizing the sight of armed citizens in the businesses I frequent. None of these interactions could have happened had I been carrying concealed. That's the purpose open carry serves.

What have you done?
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It's a deterrent, plus it gives me the ability to carry a larger weapon when my clothing choices are limited. The last one is a big one for me since I need to wear a button down shirt to work most days and IWB carry with anything bigger than my P938 is not feasible given medical issues I have with my back.

On the deterrent part, its the same reason why most LEO's wear uniforms, carry openly, and drive marked vehicles. Their presence reduces the likelihood that someone will choose that time and place to commit a crime.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

LucasMcCain wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:02 pm
I've been open carrying for three years. In that time, I have had dozens of positive conversations with people in public places about the importance of gun rights. I have been able to recommend firearms, ranges, holsters, and educate people on the process for getting their license. I have cleared up misconceptions and changed minds. I have had a friendly conversation in a crowded Chipotle with a black couple about the importance of the 2nd Amendment, showing a restaurant full of people that gun carrying conservative white men are not, in fact, all a bunch of racist rednecks. I have helped a muslim middle-eastern woman learn how to get her license and give her advice on how to shop for a gun. This was, again, in front of dozens of people. I have answered the questions of children on why I carry a gun. I have had the opportunity to encourage those that conceal carry to do so more regularly. I have made a point to speaking to police officers while open carrying and thanking them for what they do, to foster good will and a positive impression of private citizens that carry.

I have spent three years being a force for good. I have spent three years showing people that those that carry guns can be decent, friendly, pleasant folks, just going about their lives. I have spent three years influencing hundreds of people in an increasingly liberal area of Texas. I have spent three years normalizing the sight of armed citizens in the businesses I frequent. None of these interactions could have happened had I been carrying concealed. That's the purpose open carry serves.

What have you done?
:iagree: My experiences since 1/1/16 are similar. Only 2 negative comments from folks I know to be liberal (in a bad way).
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cw3van

Post by cw3van »

I never open carry but sure was glad when it passed because have been times when no matter how hard I try my firearm would be exposed by wind or reaching for something was a time that was a violation stuff happens. I hope we don't forget how far Mr. Cotton along with NRA,&TSRA have come in Texas. I'm sure starting to see politicians waffle as they see all the democrats moving to Texas which in itself is another story.
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

cw3van wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:51 pm
I never open carry but sure was glad when it passed because have been times when no matter how hard I try my firearm would be exposed by wind or reaching for something was a time that was a violation stuff happens. I hope we don't forget how far Mr. Cotton along with NRA,&TSRA have come in Texas. I'm sure starting to see politicians waffle as they see all the democrats moving to Texas which in itself is another story.
That is a definite benefit of legal OC. I fear the subject of your last sentence is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Personally, I think the laws are backwards when it comes to OC and CC in general (not specific to Texas at the moment).

Logically, we should be more comfortable with folks carrying openly, since they are willing to openly display the fact that they are armed. If we are going to restrict one or the other, then carrying concealed should be restricted as it makes it easier for those with nefarious intent. It's kind of like saying that wearing a mask is perfectly OK but you need a special permit to openly show your face in public.

I think this is a perfect example of politicians enacting laws that make people "feel" better, but which are completely illogical.

I wanted to illustrate this point by posting a 30.06 sign next to my front door next to a sign encouraging open carry, but unfortunately SWMBO vetoed that idea.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:24 pm Personally, I think the laws are backwards when it comes to OC and CC in general (not specific to Texas at the moment).

Logically, we should be more comfortable with folks carrying openly, since they are willing to openly display the fact that they are armed. If we are going to restrict one or the other, then carrying concealed should be restricted as it makes it easier for those with nefarious intent. It's kind of like saying that wearing a mask is perfectly OK but you need a special permit to openly show your face in public.

I think this is a perfect example of politicians enacting laws that make people "feel" better, but which are completely illogical.

I wanted to illustrate this point by posting a 30.06 sign next to my front door next to a sign encouraging open carry, but unfortunately SWMBO vetoed that idea.
In the old west it was considered dastardly to conceal carry. Some places even had laws against it.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:24 pm Personally, I think the laws are backwards when it comes to OC and CC in general (not specific to Texas at the moment).

Good point, but..... :roll:

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

we are out in the sticks..... brookshires is the only big grocery we have, and a wally world 20 miles away.. brookshires is very friendly towards carrying..
this is the only store in town i see folks OC alot. rest of us CC.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”