What were your political leanings at 18 years old?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Were you a Liberal(Democrat) Conservative(Republican) or Libertarian at 18-22 years Old ?

Liberal(Democrat)
6%
Conservative(Republican)
64%
Libertarian
16%
None
14%

Total votes: 69

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 12

What were your political leanings at 18 years old?

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

With so many 18 year old people leaning left these days, it has me wondering if things have changed since "the old days".
It would be cool to see what age group you are now to help with the period things changed. If they have.

I am 58 now and at 20, my first major election opportunity, voted for Ronald Reagan.
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What were your political leanings at 18 years old?

Post by thatguyoverthere »

You missed a category: none. ;-)

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

thatguyoverthere wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:09 pm You missed a category: none. ;-)
LOL... I did not think of that one. I was so excited to get to vote, I forgot that not all 18 year olds voted. Maybe I can add it.

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:14 pm
thatguyoverthere wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:09 pm You missed a category: none. ;-)
LOL... I did not think of that one. I was so excited to get to vote, I forgot that not all 18 year olds voted. Maybe I can add it.
It let me add it. Thanks for the heads up. That would be cool to know as well.

By the way. No judgments allowed. There is no right or wrong answers. I am just curious if leaning liberal was as common back then as it is now. :mrgreen:
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Same then (47 years ago) as it is now....Conservative.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

At 18 I was on an AF ROTC Scholarship, the Viet Nam War was going on, and the anti-war folks tried to burn down the ROTC building and the University President's office. Protestors frequently tried to interrupt ROTC drill periods---- Voted for Nixon as my first presidential vote...….
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I was solidly conservative-leaning. Supported Nixon, unfortunately I was denied a right to vote because I wasn't 21 yet.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

My first election at 18 was when Regan was running... I remember it was towards the end of the race and he was at a podium talking.. Somebody in the audience was heckling him and he just stopped and pointed to them and said "Why don't you Just Shut Up, I'm tired of listening to you".. I was like WOW... That guy doesn't mess around... Ever since then I've been a republican

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I honestly don't remember being politically minded at all at 18 years old (too many other distractions, I suppose! :lol: )

I do remember giving careful consideration and voting for Ronald Reagan in 1980. I was about 26 years old by then. My dear old dad, God rest his soul, was a yellow dog Democrat, just like his dad before him. It was not a fun day when he found out that I voted for Reagan. :bigmouth

But conservative is the only thing that ever made sense to me, even at a (relatively) young age, and the only way I've ever voted. :patriot:

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

There should be another category: Stupid and immature - which is where my political views were rooted at 18. Voted Democrat without a clue as to why. Then I matured and realized how stupid it was to believe the Democrat platform. Although I voted Democrat I would say that I was definitely not a Liberal (Democrat). It was Pres. Reagan who was instrumental in bringing me out of political darkness.

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Maybe I should have made the question 18-22. That is less restrictive.

I changed it. That change should not alter any answers already given an allow for those that had none.

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Grayling813 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:40 pm There should be another category: Stupid and immature - which is where my political views were rooted at 18. Voted Democrat without a clue as to why. Then I matured and realized how stupid it was to believe the Democrat platform. Although I voted Democrat I would say that I was definitely not a Liberal (Democrat). It was Pres. Reagan who was instrumental in bringing me out of political darkness.
It is funny that Reagan has been mentioned several times already. I do think he was instrumental in shaping the conservative thinking for many of us who lived as young adults during his time.

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

Libertarian and liberal are two different things. But, the liberals have trie to steal that too. Tell a 25 year old that you are a libertarian, and they hear liberal.

The Libertarian Party (LP) is a political party in the United States that promotes civil liberties, non-interventionism, laissez-faire capitalism and shrinking the size and scope of government

I’m still a libertarian

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Nuts wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:17 pm Libertarian and liberal are two different things.

The Libertarian Party (LP) is a political party in the United States that promotes civil liberties, non-interventionism, laissez-faire capitalism and shrinking the size and scope of government

I’m still a libertarian
Yep. That is why they are listed as separate options in the poll. I don't remember a libertarian party when I was 18-22 but maybe it was around and just very unknown. My memory is only of Democrat or Republican. Even at that age I was not for government handouts and saw the Democrat party as the party of free cheese. I had the attitude that one should work for what they want. My thinking then was not very complex....LOL.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I was 15 when Ronald Reagan ran for President in 1980. Since I couldn't vote I volunteered on his campaign in Killeen making phone calls and and miscellaneous other tasks. So when 18 I was already very conservative. I think a lot of that had to do with family, but also I read a lot for debate tournaments in high school and that made me more conservative politically.
Ron
NRA Member

Return to “Off-Topic”