CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BLG
Posts in topic: 2

ATF Admits It Lacked Authority to Issue Legislative Rule

Post by BLG »

https://nclalegal.org/2019/09/atf-admit ... ks-anyway/

I have read the linked article. Haven't read the documents it refers to.
If the writer is not misleading, this could be very interesting!

b4aftr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ATF Admits It Lacked Authority to Issue Legislative Rule

Post by b4aftr »

Hmm, could be a game changer.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TreyHouston »

It’s about time this is starting to get traction. You cannot have one guy in the ATF literally writing laws.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

BLG wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:26 am https://nclalegal.org/2019/09/atf-admit ... ks-anyway/

I looked through some of the references but I don’t think there is anything new here. Nothing that I’ve seen shows that ATF admits that it lacks the authority only that it screwed up prior in its interpretation of what is a maching gun. ATF has won every battle along the way in these recent cases. Thanks to the currnt administration, we are criminals; those that have bumpstocks. It’s clear that this was not some master scheme to establish precedent that ATF cannot make such rules through the courts. In fact, the precedent being established is entirely to the contrary. Again, I say thanks. There is though hope that new infringements won’t be enacted in response to pressure to do something. If those are, it’s bye bye 2020.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Everyone knows it was a obvious over reach by the government, the patent holder got it worse then anyone. They may be admitting to wrong doing like always but no one is ever held liable. Maybe I'm wrong?
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Topic author
BLG

Post by BLG »

Texas_Blaze wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:06 pm
BLG wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:26 am https://nclalegal.org/2019/09/atf-admit ... ks-anyway/

I looked through some of the references but I don’t think there is anything new here. Nothing that I’ve seen shows that ATF admits that it lacks the authority only that it screwed up prior in its interpretation of what is a maching gun..
[/quote]

That is what I got out of it.
Mr. Kruckenberg's arguments sound like they could go somewhere, but if you start with the idea that government is responsible for deciding what the people should and shouldn't do, it's just sophistry.
narcissist wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:00 pm Everyone knows it was a obvious over reach by the government, the patent holder got it worse then anyone. They may be admitting to wrong doing like always but no one is ever held liable. Maybe I'm wrong?
Of course the government is going to punish it's self for doing what "the boss" told them to do. :leaving

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Yes, the point is that only Congress makes laws that if broken, come with punishment*

*except if your Clinton

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

TreyHouston wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:38 pm Yes, the point is that only Congress makes laws that if broken, come with punishment*

*except if your Clinton
Then we really gotta let the EPA and some other folks know about that.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

C-dub wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:27 pm
TreyHouston wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:38 pm Yes, the point is that only Congress makes laws that if broken, come with punishment*

*except if your Clinton
Then we really gotta let the EPA and some other folks know about that.
Good point

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Does the ATF owe alot of people money?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

nstead of defending the rule, ATF now pretends the ban is just a recommendation for the public.
It cannot be a mere recommendation when people can be arrested, convicted, and go to prison for having a bumpstock.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:31 pm
nstead of defending the rule, ATF now pretends the ban is just a recommendation for the public.
It cannot be a mere recommendation when people can be arrested, convicted, and go to prison for having a bumpstock.
Think it could be a trick in a way, if they tell people its a recommendation we were wrong, maybe someone might try to take one they kept to a gun range ect. Since there stating it in that form, sorry "Paranoia" I guess?
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Interesting stuff. So I wonder where this is all headed legally. Will bump stocks be legalized again? I never really wanted one before. I think I am gonna load up on them this time.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:32 pm Interesting stuff. So I wonder where this is all headed legally. Will bump stocks be legalized again? I never really wanted one before. I think I am gonna load up on them this time.
I doubt it, mostly. I have a lot of faith in appellate courts though, so maybe. I tried to follow through and read most of the linked files. My problem is he only linked to his briefs, and did not post any of the ATF responses. In his briefs he claims they admitted they could not make the rule. If he is properly referencing the ATF briefs, I doubt the appellate court will rule in their favor and SCOTUS almost certainly wouldn't (if they take the case). The problem is that this is a very big IF. I have an innate distrust of people who post their interpretation of what someone else said and expect us to believe it and support them.
Steve Rothstein

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

srothstein wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:11 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:32 pm Interesting stuff. So I wonder where this is all headed legally. Will bump stocks be legalized again? I never really wanted one before. I think I am gonna load up on them this time.
I doubt it, mostly. I have a lot of faith in appellate courts though, so maybe. I tried to follow through and read most of the linked files. My problem is he only linked to his briefs, and did not post any of the ATF responses. In his briefs he claims they admitted they could not make the rule. If he is properly referencing the ATF briefs, I doubt the appellate court will rule in their favor and SCOTUS almost certainly wouldn't (if they take the case). The problem is that this is a very big IF. I have an innate distrust of people who post their interpretation of what someone else said and expect us to believe it and support them.
Thanks for the input.We can always hope??? :waiting:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”