PSA complete rifles?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 1

PSA complete rifles?

Post by flechero »

Curious if any of you have purchased PSA complete rifles and what your thoughts are? (5.56 and / or .308)

:tiphat:

Terry

Re: PSA complete rifles?

Post by Terry »

I'm also interested in their PCC ones.

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Seen their torture tests videos online and the weapons seam to function pretty good for the price.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

I didn’t buy a complete rifle but I bought a 10.5 pistol kit complete minus lower for 350$. Bought an Anderson for 50 flat at gun show and bang, 400$ 10.5 AR pistol. Mine has been very very good to me.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

The PSA stuff is fine. I've handled number of them.

Although, I am seriously thinking about writing a post titled "Friends don't let friends buy ATI."
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

“Military arms channel” and “iraq veteran” on youtube have abused them pretty bad and they seem to hold up as well or better than most entry level weapons.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

One warning, and I’m sure this is the exception rather than the rule, but still....

When my son was working as a gunsmith, a shop customer brought them a PSA complete barreled upper, and another barrel that he’d bought somewhere, and he wanted the shop to swap out the barrels. So they chuck the upper receiver up to the appropriate receiver block, put the block into the bench vise, and they start pulling off the parts so that they can get to the barrel nut.

My son finally accesses the barrel nut, hooks up the torque wrench on the barrel wrench, and starts trying to loosen the barrel nut. It quickly becomes evident that PSA had WAY overtorqued the barrel nut when they were mounting the barrel to the receiver. Heating the nut, and trying to cool the receiver didn’t work. My son was not comfortable trying to put on any more torque to loosen it without consulting with the customer, so they phoned the customer and he came into the shop so they could show him the problem. The customer was told the risks, and he okayed them to go ahead and apply however much torque was necessary to loosen the nut....so they did.

The barrel nut never did loosen on the threads, but they DID succeed in shearing through the metal and tearing the whole front of the receiver clean off....with the barrel still attached to it.

Ever since then, I’ve never had faith in how PSA assembles their barreled receiver sets. By themselves, I’m sure the individual components are just fine. In fact, they sell some really GOOD things, like FN cold hammer forged barrels, etc., and their individual component prices are pretty good. But if I were going to have a PSA rifle, I’d rather buy the components separately, and build it myself. That way I know it’ll be done right.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

The front site is drilled and pinned. No problem unless you want to remove it. It can be done but you will have two holes in your barrel. Still not a problem just cosmetic. The pins are not easy to remove. Still great guns.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Ed4032 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:11 pm The front site is drilled and pinned. No problem unless you want to remove it. It can be done but you will have two holes in your barrel. Still not a problem just cosmetic. The pins are not easy to remove. Still great guns.
They don’t ALL come with drilled and pinned front sight blocks. But for me, that’s a non issue. Two of my ARs have a pinned A2 front sight block, and the rest have pop up front sights. The A2 fronts don’t bother me at all....even with an optic mounted. The main issue in my opinion is whether or not you want to free float the barrel for accuracy reasons, in which case a lightweight low profile gas block will have less effect on barrel harmonics than the heavier A2 front sight/gas block and a non-floating handguard. But the truth is that, unless you’re trying to build a true precision rifle, and you’re a pretty good shooter, an AR with a regular old pinned A2 front sight will probably shoot better than a lot of shooters are capable of shooting it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Good rifle, you pull the trigger and it goes bang. Your not going to win a sniper competition.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”