Ring Doorbell

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ring Doorbell

Post by Tex1961 »

You can find the angle / corner mounts everywhere. Amazon, eBay, Home Depot, etc. just do a quick google search for ring doorbell corner mount.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Yep, they’re aftermarket wedge kits but pretty straight forward.

You mention a narrow area, how small are you talking? Reason I ask is we only have a very narrow course of brick but we’re still able to easily mount a Ring Pro.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

My doorbell is flat, but my other three outside ring cams are on a swivel and have a solar panel mounted. I just bought three indoor cameras and they are great.

What I like about it is for the most part they are inexpensive and for $100 they will record for how ever many cameras you want to put on at one address. The down fall for me is making sure I have enough WiFi power for them to work quickly.

I don’t have enough WiFi power or I have would have the last place in my back yard corner lit up and on camera. Without that place you can only get in my property by helicopter and not be seen. I also mounted mine almost at eye level. I don’t care about seeing the top of a hoody. Even if they grab and still the camera it is taped.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I bought and installed this last week. $10. Working great so far.

Amazon link
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

DXer wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:02 pm My wife is on me to get a Ring or similar doorbell camera. She gets no argument from me except the space available is extremely narrow and won't permit a flush mount. Talked to my BIL this weekend and he was aware of one that pivoted out so it could be mounted at an angle and still see who is coming up the walk. I've looked at the Ring web page and fail to see anything like this, but he insists it is made by Ring. Anyone with experience with these things? I'd like to avoid a battery deal and use the 24 volt bell wiring if possible.
The Ring pro is very narrow (no battery) 4.5" x 1.8" x 0.8".
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

jailbird

Post by jailbird »

Keep in mind that if you go with a Ring Pro and you use hardwired chimes, there is an issue where the Texas heat will kill the LiPo battery in them after 18 months or so. The doorbell itself will keep working, but your hardwired chimes will suddenly stop working. No alert or anything from the app.

There is a lot of information out there (especially Reddit) about this issue and hardware modifications to fix it. Personally I just replaced mine with a Nest Hello which actually includes the wedge in the package. So far it works pretty well, my only gripe is that the “chime” on the phone app is pretty quiet. However it does have new features like face detection, package dropped off/picked up detection, etc.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

The Ring Pro that I put in our new place (we had the same one at our other house) has wedges included that allow for installation
on a set (non-adjustable) angle. That one that RoyGBiv linked to looks pretty nice & IS adjustable. It looks like you could aim it if
you wanted to. We have been pretty happy with it.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I just bought a refurbished Ring 2 from Woot (an Amazon company) for $69 to try out and the kit has wedges included. I have charged it up and it's on my honey do list after I finish hanging curtains. At least I get to use a screw GUN! :cool:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

jailbird wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 am Keep in mind that if you go with a Ring Pro and you use hardwired chimes, there is an issue where the Texas heat will kill the LiPo battery in them after 18 months or so. The doorbell itself will keep working, but your hardwired chimes will suddenly stop working. No alert or anything from the app.

There is a lot of information out there (especially Reddit) about this issue and hardware modifications to fix it. Personally I just replaced mine with a Nest Hello which actually includes the wedge in the package. So far it works pretty well, my only gripe is that the “chime” on the phone app is pretty quiet. However it does have new features like face detection, package dropped off/picked up detection, etc.
Have had my Ring Pro since release day without issue here in Dallas, facing south. Mechanical chimes work fine.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 am I bought and installed this last week. $10. Working great so far.

Amazon link
I have this same item and it was easy to install and works great.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

jailbird

Post by jailbird »

chamberc wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:19 pm
jailbird wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 am Keep in mind that if you go with a Ring Pro and you use hardwired chimes, there is an issue where the Texas heat will kill the LiPo battery in them after 18 months or so. The doorbell itself will keep working, but your hardwired chimes will suddenly stop working. No alert or anything from the app.

Have had my Ring Pro since release day without issue here in Dallas, facing south. Mechanical chimes work fine.
Lucky you! I’m glad for you. I also had one since release day. Once the issue happened to me and I read how widespread the issue was, it was really frustrating to find out how Ring/Amazon were handling it.

I’m not trying to knock the Ring Pro at all, just wanted to warn.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

If you need to drill into brick get a better drill bit, the one in the box doesn't work very good.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Doesn’t ring require a monthly payment?

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

philip964 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm Doesn’t ring require a monthly payment?
Only if you want to record the videos. You can pay $100 fee for as many cameras as you want to install or about $35 for each camera.

Return to “Off-Topic”