Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

There is seemingly no end to the extent to which anti-gun people and groups will lie about guns and gun owners. Post links to articles by these masters of prevarication here.

Moderator: carlson1

hondo44
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dicks destroys $5 million worth of weapons

Post by hondo44 »

Rob72 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:55 am
uthornsfan wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 pm I think it is refreshing that someone is actually standing up for what they believe in. Even if it isn't popular or fiscally responsible why are people so butt hurt here about it?

If more people thought less about money and more about their convictions we would probably be better off.

Our beliefs here aren't more important than anyone else's whether they are the same or different than our own.
Do you believe that human beings have rights, including the right to be free from oppression? If so, this argument is a non-sequiter, based in moral relativism. The issue for those that believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, is that Dicks (among others) is perfectly happy to sacrifice profit to their idea that the common citizens have the "right" to some toys and pretty-shineys, as long as they stay within Humanistically prescribed standards. My experience with human beings does not allow me to believe that our inherent nature is, "good," or capable of elevating our condition in any transcendental way.
The only non sequitur here is the assumption that Dicks or any corporations have a belief system. Dicks is a corporation. Corporations don't "believe" anything. The only responsibility corporations have is to maximize value for their shareholders.
Chinese SKS, Yugo SKS, Romanian AK-74, Mossberg 500, Hi-Point 9mm carbine, Colt 2000 IWB

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

hondo44 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:41 am
Rob72 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:55 am
uthornsfan wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 pm I think it is refreshing that someone is actually standing up for what they believe in. Even if it isn't popular or fiscally responsible why are people so butt hurt here about it?

If more people thought less about money and more about their convictions we would probably be better off.

Our beliefs here aren't more important than anyone else's whether they are the same or different than our own.
Do you believe that human beings have rights, including the right to be free from oppression? If so, this argument is a non-sequiter, based in moral relativism. The issue for those that believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, is that Dicks (among others) is perfectly happy to sacrifice profit to their idea that the common citizens have the "right" to some toys and pretty-shineys, as long as they stay within Humanistically prescribed standards. My experience with human beings does not allow me to believe that our inherent nature is, "good," or capable of elevating our condition in any transcendental way.
The only non sequitur here is the assumption that Dicks or any corporations have a belief system. Dicks is a corporation. Corporations don't "believe" anything. The only responsibility corporations have is to maximize value for their shareholders.
As the NBA is discovering if some random coach offends some people in communist China by expressing support for democracy in Hong Kong..... only in this case it’s the 1st Amendment that is being sacrificed to the gods of profit.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

Dicks Sporting Goods? Never heard of them.

:biggrinjester:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

LDP wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:11 pm
RPBrown wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:31 am I agree. But I also had a thought. If they were really concerned about any financial setbacks, why wouldn't they donate these guns to a law enforcement agency? Seems to me that would be less controversial than destrying them and could be used as a tax write off. Just another knee jerk reaction on their part.
Why not donate to LE or a better cause? Because that would be too logical.
I do often give leftists the benefit of the doubt. And in this case I truly doubt their little pea brains are capable of thinking logically on such level once their feelings kick in.
Ahhh, but then they would catch heat when one of those fully semi-auto assault weapons is used on a sweet kid like Michael Brown.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

RPBrown wrote:
But I also had a thought. If they were really concerned about any financial setbacks, why wouldn't they donate these guns to a law enforcement agency? Seems to me that would be less controversial than destroying them and could be used as a tax write off. Just another knee jerk reaction on their part.
Well sure....but that would be exercising logic. It would benefit both Law Enforcement and the company (Dicks). But that wasn't ever a consideration...because it wouldn't make a 'statement' (these guns are inherently evil) and appease the 'base' who think similarly.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

Until I see the inventory list with S/N and some documentation that removes these weapons from the data base for tracking them with ATF I don't believe a word of what Dick's says they did with them.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I don't remember the last time, or where, I visited a DICK'S store but I do know when I'll visit another.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

puma guy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:47 pm Until I see the inventory list with S/N and some documentation that removes these weapons from the data base for tracking them with ATF I don't believe a word of what Dick's says they did with them.
Exactly. One sentence summary or whether or not Dick's really did destroy them.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Oldgringo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 pm I don't remember the last time, or where, I visited a DICK'S store but I do know when I'll visit another.
LOL, thinking the same. They're WAY overpriced anyway.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

longtooth wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:31 am
puma guy wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:47 pm Until I see the inventory list with S/N and some documentation that removes these weapons from the data base for tracking them with ATF I don't believe a word of what Dick's says they did with them.
Exactly. One sentence summary or whether or not Dick's really did destroy them.
I hope they try to take it as a business loss and someone calls the IRS is they do.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Docks ended sales of "assault weapons" at their Dick's Sporting Goods stores some 20 months ago only selling them at their Field and Stream locations. Doing some math and using an average of $650 each for the price of the "assault weapons" (I never saw any high end AR's there) that would be 7692 rifles for a total $5 million. It would mean each of the 34 F&S stores had 226 rifles available. I find that extremely difficult to believe.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Oldgringo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 pm I don't remember the last time, or where, I visited a DICK'S store but I do know when I'll visit another.
Would that be when temperatures in Hades fall to record lows? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Anti-gun propaganda and other lies!”