2019 New LTC Processing Timeline...

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

MojoTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 2019 New LTC Processing Timeline...

Post by MojoTexas »

I've been a member of this website since Feb 2009, and I've had my CHL since Feb 22, 2010. I renewed my CHL once, back in 2014, and it took 16 days. I know this because I found my post from back then, when I was delighted at how quick and efficient the process had become: https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 56#p903956

My CHL license was set to expire again on my recent birthday, Sep 2nd, 2019, so on August 6th I finally remembered to sit down and do the online renewal, thinking it would be another routine two-to-three-week process. However, on Sep 1, the before my birthday, there was still no new license, so I sent an email inquiry to the Texas DPS. Roughly two weeks later, on Sep 13, I received this response:
Our records indicate your renewal application is processing. We appreciate your understanding and patience. This can take up to six (6) business weeks to complete once your application is submitted and all documents are received. In the event additional review or more information or documents are required to complete an application, DPS has an additional 180 days to complete the review process. No additional documentation is needed at this time.
So what has changed to make a process that used to be quick and easy become a slow bureaucratic nightmare again? I've had my license for ten years with absolutely no problems, so I have no idea why it's taking so long.

So now what? I'm not very comfortable carrying with an expired license, although I think the risk is minimal.

Sigh.
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

I went and checked online and it says my license has been mailed. Unfortunately there aren't any dates on any of the items, so I don't know if this for my recent renewal, or if they're referring to my original application back in 2010. :confused5
Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 15.43.48.png
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by skeathley »

So what has changed to make a process that used to be quick and easy become a slow bureaucratic nightmare again?
The difference is load. Sometimes they are hit with thousands more applications than normal, and don't have the staff to handle it. Right now there is a surge going on, caused by several mass shootings. People have been telling me that they have been trying to get into one of my classes, but they are all filled up. A recent student told me that in El Paso, you can't find firearms classes now.

:tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

MojoTexas wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:46 pm I went and checked online and it says my license has been mailed. Unfortunately there aren't any dates on any of the items, so I don't know if this for my recent renewal, or if they're referring to my original application back in 2010. :confused5

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 15.43.48.png
That would be for your recent renewal.

Shortly after your renewal has been completed, this status will also disappear. You will still be able to log in to report a lost/stolen LTC or an address change, but the 'status' portion will no longer be displayed.

av8or

Post by av8or »

Hey everyone!

New User, just wanting to post my waiting times to add to the data.

9/14 - Class/Shoot Prof.
9/19 - Identigo Fingerprints taken
9/20 - Submitted TX app with Documents
9/20 - Confirmation email documents received................

9/30 - status website not updated yet, still shows generic "Choose Service: if you have pending app please allow time, ect, ect".
10/3 - UPDATE: status website showing line items now, all green except background/print yellow. My nerves have settled a bit.

I'm getting a little anxious since it appears most have had their status page showing green/yellows within 5-7 calendar days, and I'm going on 11.

**I had to copy this post from the general Waiting Room, I meant to post it here in "the timeline" room, but put it there on accident. Sorry if you see it as a duplicate
Last edited by av8or on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

squirrelmaster9

Post by squirrelmaster9 »

8/14/19 submitted application with dispositions and training form
8/22/19 fingerprints done
10/01/19 finger prints green
10/02/19 background green and print pending

I did this last year too but turned out a nj ticket was equal to a tx disorderly conduct. Had to wait till this July for 5 years. But I did get my AZ and FL permit last year no problems

av8or

Post by av8or »

av8or wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:50 pm Hey everyone!

New User, just wanting to post my waiting times to add to the data.

9/14 - Class/Shoot Prof.
9/19 - Identigo Fingerprints taken
9/20 - Submitted TX app with Documents
9/20 - Confirmation email documents received................

9/30 - status website not updated yet, still shows generic "Choose Service: if you have pending app please allow time, ect, ect".
10/3 - UPDATE: status website showing line items now, all green except background/print yellow. My nerves have settled a bit.

I'm getting a little anxious since it appears most have had their status page showing green/yellows within 5-7 calendar days, and I'm going on 11.

**I had to copy this post from the general Waiting Room, I meant to post it here in "the timeline" room, but put it there on accident. Sorry if you see it as a duplicate
10/8 - UPDATE: status updated to Background Completed, Print pending.

Just when I had come to grips with the fact this could take up to 6 months, I looked this morning and I'm at "Print Pending". So from 9/20 - 10/8 is the total time for mine. Not bad. Hope the rest of you that are in waiting get the same speed of completion. Good Luck! And remember, my address situation was all over the place for the past 5 years, so that didn't seem to make a big difference.

moktor

Post by moktor »

Brand new LTC application, just moved from WA state in May.

9/28: fingerprints done, and LTC-100 submitted
10/7: status available on DPS site
10/8: background check went green, print pending
10/10: all green
10/12: received in the mail

tmontana161

Post by tmontana161 »

09/05/19 Application filed/received
09/06/19 Fingerprints Submitted
09/18/19 All documents Received by DPS
11/05/19 Print Pending
11/07/19 Mailed
11/09/19 License in hand
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Time from Fingerprinting = 59 Days
Total Time from DPS Receiving all documents = 47 Days
Total Time to card in hand from 5 Sep = 65
Total time to card in hand from 18 Sep = 52

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 4

Post by treadlightly »

Here's hoping for smooth sailing.

My original application got derailed when attachments got lost at DPS. The application wasn't flagged as needing anything because everything had gotten sent. When the required documentation got separated from the application, it wouldn't move forward and also didn't show as needing anything.

My license expires near the end of January and I've been snoozing. I thought DPS sent out reminders, but I never saw one.

Anyway, online renewal process done today, 12/11/9, hoping for a nice letter from DPS before the old license hits its shelf life.

If it does, I won't carry except under MPA. That will make me mope around a bit, but I'll abide the law.

Bill_thekillerpug

Post by Bill_thekillerpug »

My timeline was.

LTC class September 29
All paperwork submitted October 2
Fingerprints done and submitted October 8
Under review October 15
Everything checked and print pending December 13

Not sure if that's a typical wait time but my sister and brother-in-law waited over 45 days to get theirs done and in the mail, the time started when it shows under review. So haha I have them beat by a couple of days.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”