Businesses that post 30.06 \ 30.07 and don't provide security??

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texas yankee
Posts in topic: 3

Businesses that post 30.06 \ 30.07 and don't provide security??

Post by texas yankee »

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/11/ ... -security/

It's California, but I wonder, if this case finds that the festival organizer was at fault for not providing adequate security, could those business in Texas that post 30.06 and 30.07, and prevent people from protecting themselves, face the same kind of lawsuits?
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Businesses that post 30.06 \ 30.07 and don't provide security??

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

texas yankee wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:59 am https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/11/ ... -security/

It's California, but I wonder, if this case finds that the festival organizer was at fault for not providing adequate security, could those business in Texas that post 30.06 and 30.07, and prevent people from protecting themselves, face the same kind of lawsuits?
A person can sue over just about anything they want to. It does not mean they will win.If it was any place other than Kalifornia, I would think they would never win a suit of this nature. But one never knows in Kali. That place is upside down world.

Topic author
texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

If it was any place other than Kalifornia, I would think they would never win a suit of this nature.
- why wouldn't they win a suit like this?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

texas yankee wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 am
If it was any place other than Kalifornia, I would think they would never win a suit of this nature.
Why would they? It is not the responsibility of anyone to keep you safe. That falls on you. Imagine a world where anyone that happened to be at a convenience store or bar when it was robbed could sue the owners of the place for their bad luck. Why not sue the cops when they don't keep you from getting shot or robbed? Who is to determine what is "not enough security". That can not really be determined in any definite way. Just MHO. I am not a lawyer... by the way. :mrgreen:

pushpullpete
Posts in topic: 4

Post by pushpullpete »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:26 am
texas yankee wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 am
Why would they? It is not the responsibility of anyone to keep you safe. That falls on you. Imagine a world where anyone that happened to be at a convenience store or bar when it was robbed could sue the owners of the place for their bad luck. Why not sue the cops when they don't keep you from getting shot or robbed? Who is to determine what is "not enough security". That can not really be determined in any definite way. Just MHO. I am not a lawyer... by the way. :mrgreen:

McDs have been successfully sued for serving coffee that's too hot ( :shock: ), lawn mower manufacturers have
been sued for not warning people about the dangers of putting hands under a running mower ( :banghead: ).
People being responsible for their own actions is going the way of dinosaurs & common sense.

:txflag: :patriot:

Edit; To clarify, I don't know how many of the (frivilous) lawsuits filed against a mower manufacturer was successful, but the fact
that lawsuits such as these were allowed to be filed at all is an indicator of where our world as a whole is headed. And to be fair,
it's not just Cali and/or NY, that coolant tainted kool-aid is spreading from all over the world and NO I am NOT defending either state.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Russell wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:43 am Also just to be fair, the McDonalds case wasn't frivolous. McDonalds was holding their coffee at 190F - hot enough to cause third degree burns in 3 seconds if spilled. They had been warned multiple times that it was too hot and didn't do anything to change their policies.

The lady got third degree burns all over her legs and lap. She asked to only have her medical bills covered. McDonald's countered with $800.

I'd sue too.
Also just to be fair, In case you misunderstood my post I said (wrote) about the frivilous lawsuits filed against
lawnmower manufacturers. I mentioned nothing about the lawsuits against McDs being frivilous. I believe
that stupidity should always be painful. Pain is a pretty effective teacher. YMMV

Edit; I believe that people should own their mistakes instead of blaming others for their own shortcomings.
I have done some really stupid things in my life & like to think that I learn from and do not repeat them. YMMV
Pete

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

pushpullpete wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:57 am
Russell wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:43 am Also just to be fair, the McDonalds case wasn't frivolous. McDonalds was holding their coffee at 190F - hot enough to cause third degree burns in 3 seconds if spilled. They had been warned multiple times that it was too hot and didn't do anything to change their policies.

The lady got third degree burns all over her legs and lap. She asked to only have her medical bills covered. McDonald's countered with $800.

I'd sue too.
Also just to be fair, In case you misunderstood my post I said (wrote) about the frivilous lawsuits filed against
lawnmower manufacturers. I mentioned nothing about the lawsuits against McDs being frivilous. I believe
that stupidity should always be painful. Pain is a pretty effective teacher. YMMV

Edit; I believe that people should own their mistakes instead of blaming others for their own shortcomings.
I have done some really stupid things in my life & like to think that I learn from and do not repeat them. YMMV
Pete
You m on both sides here. There are many things businesses do and have done that have endangered people and their lives. Lawsuits are one of the only things (other than profit) that makes companies change.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

[/quote]

You m on both sides here. There are many things businesses do and have done that have endangered people and their lives. Lawsuits are one of the only things (other than profit) that makes companies change.
[/quote]

Very true, but common sense should kick in (without being told) BEFORE you put hands/fingers under a running mower so
you & your buddy can trim the hedge. Or before setting the cruise control on the motor home you're driving so you can
leave the seat at any speed above 0 to prepare some food.
SORRY, the lack of basic common sense coupled with the desire for some lazy people to get free and/or easy money, is frustrating.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Almost a month old but my wife heard on tonights news that another survivor or loved one has joined the lawsuit
against Wal-Mart for not providing adequate security.
A horrible event, I hope it works out in their favor & helps provide some closure for all.
https://www.ktsm.com/news/widow-of-el-p ... t-walmart/

Topic author
texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

"common sense should kick in (without being told) BEFORE you put hands/fingers under a running mower" - agree, and while anything can happen anywhere, when I walk into a Walmart, unless the store is in a REALLY bad part of town, I'm going in there for groceries or some other household stuff - as such, and I'd expect that I wouldn't be shot at or robbed or carjacked. On the other hand, for example, if I walk down any Martin Luther King Drive in pretty much any city, I'd expect to see or experience some type of violence (shot at or robbed or carjacked, etc.). Same situation with going into a 5-star restaurant, versus walking into a fast food joint or gas station in a bad part of town - my EXPECTATION of safety is different. That being said, since I'm sometimes prevented from defending myself in some of those situations (30.07 and\or 30.07), if the business wants my business, they should provide security - since they don't, I don't go there. With some places, if my expectation of safety is high, and they are posted 30.06 without any security, I'll go there anyway, cause I believe that the odds are in my favor that I'll be safe.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”