LTC License Validation Website

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 2

LTC License Validation Website

Post by kg5ie »

Anyone else hearing about a new website/ phone line set up by RSD for FFLs to validate LTC licensees? Supposed to prevent firearm sales to someone with an invalid LTC.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 3

Re: LTC License Validation Website

Post by Grayling813 »

Received an email from TSRA about it.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Here's a link to the letter DPS sent to FFLs. It includes the URL for the validation page.

http://www.dps.texas.gov/director_staff ... ChkLtr.pdf
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Just tried it with my LTC number so it’s available to anyone.

KLB

Post by KLB »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:29 pm Just tried it with my LTC number so it’s available to anyone.
Yep, mine worked, too.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

LDP wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:20 pm
kg5ie wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:00 pm Anyone else hearing about a new website/ phone line set up by RSD for FFLs to validate LTC licensees? Supposed to prevent firearm sales to someone with an invalid LTC.
I have never heard the term "invalid LTC". What does that mean? I know my LTC will become invalid the day after it expires. And if it is revoked by LE, it cannot be invalid because it will cease to exist.
I might just be dense today, please forgive my old brain.
From the TSRA email:
A valid Texas LTC may be used as an alternative permit under 18 U.S.C. § 922(t) to authorize a firearm transfer without the otherwise required national instant criminal background (NICS) check. However, in some instances, an LTC may have been revoked, but the actual card may not have been surrendered by the license holder. In such instances, the LTC should not be used as an alternative permit. While the department is not aware of an invalid LTC used in such a manner, providing FFLs with a convenient avenue to verify an LTC is an important safeguard to prevent such action.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:29 pm Just tried it with my LTC number so it’s available to anyone.
It's available to anyone that has your LTC number. To that, I can agree.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Doesn't that violate the statute that says RSD won't release LTC data without a court order?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

kg5ie wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:19 pm Doesn't that violate the statute that says RSD won't release LTC data without a court order?
You've already provided all the data by giving the seller your LTC. The website just validates that the LTC is valid,
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I'm not entering my number into that thing since I know it's valid.

However, for those that have, after you enter it what happens? Does it only indicate validity or does it also give any other personal information? If it does I don't like that AT ALL.

It won't take long for someone to set something up to randomly or sequentially enter numbers and come up with a complete list of Texas LTC holders.

EDIT: I'm still eating my breakfast and waking up this morning. I just tried it making up an 8 digit number and all it says is that is the following:
This license may be used as an alternative permit under 18 U.S.C. § 922(t) to purchase a firearm as of 11/15/2019.
I've tried a few and haven't found an invalid one yet.
Last edited by C-dub on Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

C-dub wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:23 am I'm not entering my number into that thing since I know it's valid.

However, for those that have, after you enter it what happens? Does it only indicate validity or does it also give any other personal information? If it does I don't like that AT ALL.

It won't take long for someone to set something up to randomly or sequentially enter numbers and come up with a complete list of Texas LTC holders.
I didn't enter my number but typed in a random number that looked like it could be in sequence. All that came back was a message stating that "License number XXXXXXXX is valid." No other information, just the LTC number that had been entered and a note that the number was currently valid.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I am alright with it... after all, we are allowing someone to bypass a NICS check with this card. If you are an FFL, the very least that you should do is train your employees on the security features of a Texas ID and LTC card, and then use this website to verify that an LTC is valid.

I have a PowerPoint presentation on license security features. If anyone wants it, pm me your email address.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

joe817

Post by joe817 »

C-dub wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:23 amI'm not entering my number into that thing since I know it's valid.

EDIT: I'm still eating my breakfast and waking up this morning. I just tried it making up an 8 digit number and all it says is that is the following:
This license may be used as an alternative permit under 18 U.S.C. § 922(t) to purchase a firearm as of 11/15/2019.
I've tried a few and haven't found an invalid one yet.
That's what popped up for me when I entered my number. Yikes! Anyone with a random number generator can eventually get all the hits they desire.

That's scary. Good bye confidentially.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Instructors' Corner”