This is How Custer Must Have Felt

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 3

This is How Custer Must Have Felt

Post by J.R.@A&M »

My hunting habit these last few years involves still hunting in the National Forest. At my age, it’s the hike that matters. Getting in range of deer and pigs is kinda like what the U.S. Army experienced chasing Plains Indians - it’s hard to even see them, and when you do, they scatter.

With that experience, I have bow-hunted, and toyed with thoughts of hangun hunting or black powder. Why not? The emphasis is more on the process than the outcome.

Which brings me to yesterday. Hoping the rain would stop, I left work early and got to the bottomland by mid afternoon. Good, soft, quiet stalking under the putter patter of the drizzle.

With my back to a swollen creek, I heard deep, guttural grunting and squealing, and here they came. A long line of wild hogs, about 70 yards away, across a tributary. Maybe fifteen hogs, mostly black with Russian-looking features. There were all ages, including some huge boars, and some sows with piglets.

I was on foot, carrying an open sighted 30-30, loaded with four rounds. Also carrying a concealed 5-shot revolver. When I first saw them, I was thinking about the logistics of dragging one out, and could I get over that tributary, etc. But after a few moments, I realized that this collection of hostiles could, if they wanted, probably overpower me. Never felt this before. Vulnerable.

At a similar moment of revelation, Custer sent a message “Benteen: Come on. Big village. Be quick. Bring [ammunition] packs. P.S. Bring packs.” For my part, I said goodbye to thoughts of future handgun hunting and black powder. Maybe something with a 30-round magazine. 😊
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Re: This is How Custer Must Have Felt

Post by Grayling813 »

J.R.@A&M wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 am Maybe something with a 30-round magazine. 😊
Or 100! https://www.betaco.com/cmag_product_det ... &weapon=25

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lynyrd »

I kill a lot of hogs. 75+ every year and all of those on my own property. I've only had two charge me after being shot. Both were big boars, and they seemed to know that I was the cause of their pain. :lol: Anyway, neither of them made it to me but one got within about 20 yards before I managed to put him down. From the size of his cutters it looked like he could have disemboweled me with one flick of his head. That will get the old ticker pumping fast!

Almost always when there is a large group like you described they will run and scatter at the first gunshot. The biggest boars tend to run alone or in pairs. They are much more likely to stand their ground rather than run. But, YMMV. And just so you know, IMHO you didn't have enough ammo.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Wear tree-climbing boots. :lol:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 3

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Lynyrd wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:22 pm And just so you know, IMHO you didn't have enough ammo.
Most definitely agree with your opinion!
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I have not hunted hogs yet, but have considered this scenario often if I ever get to. I'm considering climbing the tree before the first shot and then waiting out the insanity of the scrambling and any charging that might ensue. How do some of you experienced hog hunters think something like that might work?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Have you tried artillery?
NRA Benefactor Member

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

C-dub wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 pm I have not hunted hogs yet, but have considered this scenario often if I ever get to. I'm considering climbing the tree before the first shot and then waiting out the insanity of the scrambling and any charging that might ensue. How do some of you experienced hog hunters think something like that might work?
Hogs are primarily nocturnal feeders. You can see them out foraging in the daylight on occasion, but the weather has to be just to their liking. A hog cannot sweat anywhere but the end of its nose, and they overheat easily. This makes them move at night, or in cloudy rainy weather. That being said, you can certainly hunt them from a tree stand but they are going to need a reason to come where you are.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Greybeard wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:37 pm Wear tree-climbing boots. :lol:
"rlol" :smilelol5: "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Jago668 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 pm Have you tried artillery?
T.O.T?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Lynyrd wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:39 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 pm I have not hunted hogs yet, but have considered this scenario often if I ever get to. I'm considering climbing the tree before the first shot and then waiting out the insanity of the scrambling and any charging that might ensue. How do some of you experienced hog hunters think something like that might work?
Hogs are primarily nocturnal feeders. You can see them out foraging in the daylight on occasion, but the weather has to be just to their liking. A hog cannot sweat anywhere but the end of its nose, and they overheat easily. This makes them move at night, or in cloudy rainy weather. That being said, you can certainly hunt them from a tree stand but they are going to need a reason to come where you are.
Yeah, I've read a little bit about them. I just don't have any actual experience. I thought if I ever got the chance I would find them, then get up in a tree before taking the first shot. That way I would be out of the way for scattering or charging and might still be able to get 1-5 more depending on the craziness and direction of scatter.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

crazy2medic wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:04 pm
Jago668 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 pm Have you tried artillery?
T.O.T?
Time On Target. My favorite mission, both from the Forward Observer's point of view and from the Fire Direction Center's. Most fun you can have with your boots on.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

C-dub wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:58 pm
Lynyrd wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:39 pm
Yeah, I've read a little bit about them. I just don't have any actual experience. I thought if I ever got the chance I would find them, then get up in a tree before taking the first shot. That way I would be out of the way for scattering or charging and might still be able to get 1-5 more depending on the craziness and direction of scatter.
You won't have time to get up in a tree after you find them. They will be long gone before you get a chance to get them in your sights. They are perhaps the smartest animal in the woods. And they can smell food buried under the dirt.

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

That's very close to the scenario that made me invest in a 6.8spc AR... Went out to the farm with my .45-70 to help my dad out and shoot a pig or two... Seeing several dozen come across the fence line when you've only 4+1 in the rifle and 6 .44 Mag in a revolver isn't a great feeling. It's much better with a 30 round mag in the rifle and another in a pouch.

On the plus side, both the .45-70 and the .44 Mag are confirmed do the job on hogs :)

KLB

Post by KLB »

Lynyrd wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:15 pm You won't have time to get up in a tree after you find them. They will be long gone before you get a chance to get them in your sights. They are perhaps the smartest animal in the woods. And they can smell food buried under the dirt.
Beat me to it, but absolutely correct. I've never shot a hog when I was on the ground. I've always been in an elevated blind or stand. I would be reluctant to do it on ground level.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”