Texas "10 acre" rule for discharging a firearm outside of city limits?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas "10 acre" rule for discharging a firearm outside of city limits?

Post by Mike S »

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... LG.229.htm

As I understand this statute, if you're outside the city limits, neither the city (unless you're in their Extraterritorial Jurisdiction), nor the county can prohibit you from discharging a pistol, shotgun, bow, or BB gun on at least 10 acres, or a rifle on 50 acres.

So, it does not require 10 acres / 50 acres, it merely prohibits cities/counties from passing laws that prohibit discharge on properties that size IF you are outside of the city limits..

ETA:.
Sec. 229.003 & Sec. 229.004 REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON BY CERTAIN MUNICIPALITIES
(scroll down on the same hyperlink as above) increases the property size and/or distance from other dwellings if the population is over a certain thresholds. ( Reference the link above for the actual statue, & determine what the population is of your area, as that drives how many acres ).

To be safe, I'd suggest contacting the county Animal Control and ask them to bring out some live traps (it's their job to dispose of nuisance animals).

ETA #2:. Another consideration would be if your neighborhood has any restrictions/covenants regarding discharge of firearms. Shooting in the neighborhood wouldn't be a criminal violation (unless the projectile crossed over your property line into the neighbors property, or violated some noise ordinance), however the HOA/POA could levy a fine based on any restrictions you signed, & failure to pay the fine could lead to a civil case being filed.
Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:59 am, edited 6 times in total.

Jago668
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jago668 »

It would be a county law/ordinance. I'm not aware of a state law for property outside city limits. There is a state law for inside city limits, with certain restrictions and limitations.
NRA Benefactor Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Russell wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:34 pm Can anyone point me to the section of law that restrictions discharging a firearm on your own property, outside of city limits, unless you are on more than 10 acres?

I am seeing this cited in random websites and forums, but no actual source to back it up.

I'm in Harris County, outside of any city limits, but in a neighborhood. Thank you!

On a secondary note that may or may not be related depending on whose asking, I am having trouble with raccoons coming into my back yard and tearing things up. I have a .22 at my disposal.
Google “dog proof traps”. Your neighborhood tractor supply should carry them. I use big marshmallows for bait. There is a tool sold for setting the trap but you can do it without one. Just watch where you put your fingers. There are some great YouTube videos on them.

You can deliver a deadly blow with an aluminum bat quickly and quietly.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Russell wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:24 pm
Jago668 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:00 pm It would be a county law/ordinance. I'm not aware of a state law for property outside city limits. There is a state law for inside city limits, with certain restrictions and limitations.

Thanks!

This is proving difficult to get a straight answer. Figured I'd give it a shot and call my local Constables who have contract jurisdiction in our area - the guy pointed me to 42.12, which is for incorporated areas. We're unincorporated. Not helpful.

Going to try the Sheriffs office next.
Might also try the county judge, and/or attorney.
NRA Benefactor Member

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K-Texas »

Last time I checked with the TX Dept of Wildlife, statewide, the minimum is 5 acres with counties having the ability to raise the minimum. For instance, here in Brown Co. the requirement is 10 Acres. When in doubt, ask a Game Warden! ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Russell wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:53 pm
K-Texas wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:49 pm Last time I checked with the TX Dept of Wildlife, statewide, the minimum is 5 acres with counties having the ability to raise the minimum. For instance, here in Brown Co. the requirement is 10 Acres. When in doubt, ask a Game Warden! ;-)
I'm unable to find the law that says that. Are you able to source it for me?
Check this. This is the current hunting regulations from Parks and Wildlife.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outd ... nd-methods

This quote appears near the bottom of the page in the section titled: "It is unlawful to:"
hunt in a subdivision on lots 10 acres or less in an unincorporated area of a county if prohibited by local ordinance. Contact local county clerk and ask about §235.022, Local Government Code.
So they are directing you to contact your county clerk. The way I read this is the state gives counties the ability to prohibit hunting on less than 10 acres if they so choose to.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Why not use a live trap and have them relocated? The Game Warden might help with that.
Charlie

TomV

Post by TomV »

Russell wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:25 pm
TxRVer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:22 pm Why not use a live trap and have them relocated? The Game Warden might help with that.

I'm considering that route too. This has turned into more of an information exercise than anything else now given the wide range of answers I am able to find. It's a little bit bonkers.

I'm just curious *what* my actual restrictions are in the law given where I live.
In many cases relocation isn't legal as it spreads disease. There are some exceptions, but I doubt raccoons would be one.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K-Texas »

Russell wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:53 pm
K-Texas wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:49 pm Last time I checked with the TX Dept of Wildlife, statewide, the minimum is 5 acres with counties having the ability to raise the minimum. For instance, here in Brown Co. the requirement is 10 Acres. When in doubt, ask a Game Warden! ;-)
I'm unable to find the law that says that. Are you able to source it for me?
I just called the local TX Dept of Wildlife office. They said 5 acres statewide unless overridden by county. It's been a few years, but like I said, "when in doubt, ask a Game Warden." Last I heard, they still have more jurisdiction than any LE agency in TX. There have been instances around here where Game Wardens were even involved in busting meth labs. ;-)
Last edited by K-Texas on Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”