Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Good Guy Loses Shoot-out in Houston Pawn Shop Robbery

Post by dlh »

Just saw this story a few minutes ago.
Hate it when the good guy loses.

https://www.newsweek.com/gun-owner-shot ... ry-1473501
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

mojo84

Re: Good Guy Loses Shoot-out in Houston Pawn Shop Robbery

Post by mojo84 »

Deleted my post. It appears the scenario was considerably different than what I initially understood. I thought the good guy intervened outside when the robbers were leaving.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Many years ago when I took a job at 7-11 the management made it clear...nothing, including the cash, in the store is worth anyone’s life. Let the robber(s) take what they want and leave.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:18 pm Many years ago when I took a job at 7-11 the management made it clear...nothing, including the cash, in the store is worth anyone’s life. Let the robber(s) take what they want and leave.
Except sometimes they kill you anyway. Earlier this year there was a series of two robberies in Lewisville where the poor clerks did everything the scumbag thugs asked and they still ended up dead.

cirus

Post by cirus »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:18 pm Many years ago when I took a job at 7-11 the management made it clear...nothing, including the cash, in the store is worth anyone’s life. Let the robber(s) take what they want and leave.
I agree. If I was in a store with a robbery going down I'd just play it cool and let them take what they wanted. If they've got the drop on you don't be a hero. Now if they aren't looking my way or have their back to me, oh well. :fire. Maybe I'm not a very nice person but I wouldn't have a problem shooting someone like that in the back. He'd probably do the same to me.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Very Sad. No course of action is 100% safe.
The pair are described as two black males in their early to mid 20s. One of the men was wearing a white jacket with a gray hood, blue sweatpants, white shoes and a black mask. The second suspect was wearing a gray hoodie, a red mask, white pants and white shoes.
note to the leftists...bad guys do wear hoodies
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

That is a very scary situation.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Being killed is a very distinct possibility if one makes the decision to intervene in a crime being committed. I disagree with his decision in this case but also believe he made serious tactical blunders while doing it. The first of which was to be standing out in the open. The second was to wait until the criminals were in front of him to have his weapon at ready. Having a LTC is not permission or even an obligation to become a crime fighter. :tiphat:

There is a video of the robbery here. It is hard to know if he had to intervene to protect his own life.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local ... d14740e6e3

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Redneck_Buddha wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:56 pm
Except sometimes they kill you anyway. Earlier this year there was a series of two robberies in Lewisville where the poor clerks did everything the scumbag thugs asked and they still ended up dead.
Agree. "1991 Austin Yogurt shop murder" ...girls died even without fighting to protect yogurt
(Four teenage girls were shot to death @ I Can’t Believe It’s Yogurt store 2949 West Anderson Lane in Austin December 6, 1991.)
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/inves ... 2a0b85cfd7
All four girls were tied up, stripped - some raped. Three of their bodies stacked. All four were shot in the head
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local ... -364385195

In the 1970s I , and 2 coworkers were robbed at gunpoint and put on the floor in a back store room, just like those 4 girls.... It's not a good feeling being powerless and just hoping the "bad" guys are "good" enough to let you live.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

NotRPB wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:19 am
Redneck_Buddha wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:56 pm
Agree. "1991 Austin Yogurt shop murder" ...girls died even without fighting to protect yogurt
(Four teenage girls were shot to death @ I Can’t Believe It’s Yogurt store 2949 West Anderson Lane in Austin December 6, 1991.)
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/inves ... 2a0b85cfd7
All four girls were tied up, stripped - some raped. Three of their bodies stacked. All four were shot in the head
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local ... -364385195

In the 1970s I , and 2 coworkers were robbed at gunpoint and put on the floor in a back store room, just like those 4 girls.... It's not a good feeling being powerless and just hoping the "bad" guys are "good" enough to let you live.
To be fair there have been tens of thousands of armed robbery since then and the vast majority resulted in nobody being killed. There are times when the conditions will tell you that it is a deadly encounter such as rounding everyone up to gather in a back room or making everyone get on their knees. A robber opening fire is another indicator. But it is usually best to stay cool and allow the robber to leave. In the video of this robbery in Houston pawn shop, the perps appeared to be leaving quite hastily. Pulling a firearm to stop them is not the best move for a civilian in this scenario, obviously.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”